• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Nifskope Permission List and Rules

Started by Podmark, September 05, 2007, 10:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Mesher listed here have given permission for users to skope their existing meshes and to distribute said skopes to online users.

Rules
-Please ensure that when releasing a skope to the community you include a text file listing all meshers whose work you have used in your skope. This includes keyframe skopes.

-Also the naming convention of released skopes is preferred as "characterName_skope". Please refrain from adding individual mesher's signature naming conventions such as 'Ren', 'VX', '69', 'tv' etc.

Permission Given:
Tommyboy - rules amended see below.
Ink
Renegade
Vertex/Bobby 69
Beyonder (except Doc Ock and winged meshes)
UnfluffyBunny/Syn
Tomato/Antmananext
Bearded
Valandar (exceptions Voltron, Vighna Ghina, and GP-01 Gundam)
Grenadier
Gni
Texas Jack
yell0w_lantern
Jik
Wingzero2525
Interceptor
Volsung
DravenXII
Shevek
Lord Ehmsidy
Saracen/Crusader
IPS keyframes

Special
ow_tiobe_sb (check readme for permission)
IPS (by request only, keyframes are ok to skope)

Denied
Fusion
X-Dud
Webrider (as he is no longer with us we will be respecting his inability to express a decision)

Tommyboy's amended rules:
1. You may use my existing body of work to create original 'skopes PROVIDED that said 'skopes are not labeled as some other mesher's creation.

2. You may NOT take the parts I have made that define a character and just plonk them down on someone else's mesh to create the same character I have already made. IF there are sufficient additions/changes/recombinations made to justify it as a new version that is SUBSTANTIALLY different from the version I have already made, then fine. (Johnny's Doc Doom works as an original skope, But fails the Naming Convention rule. Call it 'Dr.Doom_skope' or 'Dr.Doom_fingers' even, just not 'VX_Dr_Doom'). Just adding or removing a buckle, for instance, does not justify a new 'skope, as far as I'm concerned. I'm willing to discuss this with some leeway if people contact me, but if you can't be bothered to do that, assume that my answer is 'No, you may not skope the Pied Piper, or whoever, changing one or two parts'.

3. If you want to 'skope a version of something I've made onto a mesh with fingers but for whatever reason feel my fingered meshes aren't suitable, DO NOT label the resultant 'skope with someone else's name.

4. I like Nifskoping, really I do. Some wonderful, creative, brilliant stuff has been done, and is being done with it. My permission remains to use my meshes, within the terms set out above. 90-95% of the stuff in this thread I have no issues with. 90-95% of the 'skopes using my work I have no issues with. If anyone is unsure about using my stuff, PM me and ask, preferably with a picture of the end result. I'll crosspost some of this in the 'nifskope permissions' thread to reflect my changed 'rules'.

5. Should people feel unable or unwilling to abide by my wishes, I'll simply stop releasing meshes, and remove my work from my site, anyone else's sites, and close all my Yahoo groups. Not a threat or an ultimatum, just a statement of fact. You'll still have whatever has already been downloaded to play with, but nothing new will be added.

Podmark

Added Wingzero2525 based on his permission being stated on the wiki. Is there any documentation on him? I hadn't heard about him giving permission.

Podmark

Added IPS. In the other thread he has stated that he is NOT giving general permission but will consider it on an individual request basis.

GGiant

Does Gni allow his/her meshes to be skoped? :(

Podmark

Quote from: GGiant on September 14, 2007, 11:29:20 PM
Does Gni allow his/her meshes to be skoped? :(

Yep, he's on the list. I emailed him personally.

GGiant

Podmark

Quote from: GGiant on September 15, 2007, 02:01:44 AM
How about Lord Ehmsidy? :unsure:

Far as I know we haven't heard from him yet. If anyone knows his name we could tr asking.

Podmark

GGiant

Boalt92

Silly question:

This list implies that it's o.k. to redistribute a skoped mesh (with credit/acknowledgement, of course).

Is this correct?

B92

GGiant

Yes.
This is a list of meshers that give them permissions to create and distribute skopes.

Podmark

I haven't heard anything about Saracen.

Yes this list lists meshers who have given their ok for skoping, and also those who have not.

GGiant

It means releasing or distributing the skope and giving proper credit to the mesher.
Or am I WRONG? :unsure: :lol:

Podmark

I got a bit confused on IPS's wording, but essentially a mesher who gives permission on this list grants permission for a skoper to skope his existing meshes and to distribute that skope to online users.

It is expected that the skoper will provide a readme file stating the origin of any parts used in the skope.

Essentially the same rules as the hexing list had.

Tomato

I hesitate to ask this, but... I know certain meshers, such as Webrider, are... well... no longer in any living community. I don't feel it's right to just steal their meshes, but I also think it's unkind to say that their work cannot further impact the community because they're unable to tell us "yes you can use them".

In Webrider's specific case I'm going to ask his parents what they think, but I know there's more then one case like this out there, and I wanted to know what you guys think

the_ultimate_evil

GG confusing people never in all my years would i expect such a thing  :rolleyes:

GGiant

Quote from: Podmark on September 24, 2007, 09:52:46 AM
but essentially a mesher who gives permission on this list grants permission for a skoper to skope his existing meshes and to distribute that skope to online users.

It is expected that the skoper will provide a readme file stating the origin of any parts used in the skope.
That's exactly what I mean! :D

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on September 26, 2007, 11:21:59 AM
I hesitate to ask this, but... I know certain meshers, such as Webrider, are... well... no longer in any living community. I don't feel it's right to just steal their meshes, but I also think it's unkind to say that their work cannot further impact the community because they're unable to tell us "yes you can use them".

In Webrider's specific case I'm going to ask his parents what they think, but I know there's more then one case like this out there, and I wanted to know what you guys think

Thanks for reminding me about this. The group consensus seemed to be that we should consider his work off-limits unless we hear from a relative. The list will be updated.

detourne_me

Does anyone know anything about 3D Master? has he given or denied skoping? is he even around at all?

GGiant

Quote from: detourne_me on October 29, 2007, 08:03:16 AM
Does anyone know anything about 3D Master? has he given or denied skoping? is he even around at all?
I thought no one would ever ask.

Podmark

GGiant

Dear everybody,

Is my understanding of this correct?

Some meshers are not in the community and thus some include readme's or anything for reference with there meshes and I see some stating if they are giving permission to modify their mesh.
For example, I have this mesh named thing_effects by Jude Martin and this is stated in it's txt file:

Use it as you will but always give credit where credit is due.

Does this state that we can modify or more likely "skope" their meshes?
To my vision it is yes but we always should give credit to the mesher, of course.
But I thought I should ask you guys first.

Anyways, Can anyone ask Volsung if we could "skope" his sweet meshes?

Thanks for your time,
                                                                                                                GGiant :)

Podmark

contacting Volsung should be easy as he's still active.

The readme thing is sticky. I know from talking to some meshers that once their stuff is out there it's fair use, but others, regardless of what they may have put in their readmes, might have reservations about future advances in mesh modification (ie importers, nif skope) that they couldn't have foreseen.

style

Podmark I agree. I think when they stated "Do what you like with the mesh just give credit where credit is due" I think they was talking about putting it in a mod.

GGiant

Okay. Is Felideo okay for skoping?
I saw some skopes of his meshes so probably yes?

Podmark

Quote from: GGiant on November 14, 2007, 05:32:54 AM

I haven't heard from him.

GGiant

Quote from: Podmark on November 14, 2007, 09:21:21 AM
Quote from: GGiant on November 14, 2007, 05:32:54 AM

I haven't heard from him.
Funny, I remember some one releasing a skope with his mesh parts.

GGiant

Quote from: Podmark on November 13, 2007, 06:51:53 PM
contacting Volsung should be easy as he's still active.

The readme thing is sticky. I know from talking to some meshers that once their stuff is out there it's fair use, but others, regardless of what they may have put in their readmes, might have reservations about future advances in mesh modification (ie importers, nif skope) that they couldn't have foreseen.

Silly me. I guess I didn't see this:
Quote from: Volsung on April 24, 2007, 05:32:16 AM
Like I said in private,as long as there's correct credit i'm ok with nifskoping of any kind
Especially on timmverse male basic which was made for the community. :)

Podmark