• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Freedom Force VMWare?

Started by forthepeople, April 11, 2008, 05:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forthepeople

Ive got a macbook pro and although I have both the mac and pc versions of the game, last time I tried modding seemed to be a lot harder to do on a mac. I am having some problem running freedom force on vmware. Is there another program that would work better or do I need a newer version of VMWare. Any advice or help you could give me would be appreciated.

GogglesPizanno

The idea of running a game on any kind of virtual machine is gonna be iffy at best (checkers and hearts notwithstanding). The graphic and sound requirements  are usually just too much for a VM to handle, if they run at all. They are fine for running basic applications -- so you could use FFEdit and the character tool on it I'd think to do modding. But for actually playing the game... Id say probably not.

Now I'm not a mac guy, but my brother says he can run all his old PC games on his mac using bootcamp and running an install of XP...

forthepeople

Thanks, maybe I will give the mac side a try again. I just want to be able to take a hero recipe and have the fx and skins and meshes work correctly.

forthepeople

For Example if I used the hero recipes from http://beam.to/heroconversions I would need to get these http://webpages.charter.net/heroconversions/heros.htm Meshes to work with them.
Female Basic - This first thing is the mesh and the rest is all skins that went with it?
Aurora , Dazzler, Ivy, Marvel Girl, Mystique, Phoenix 2&4, Psylocke, Rogue1-3&II, Samus, Sersi, SheHulk, Wasp1-2, White Queen , Donner, Blitzen, AoA Shadowcat, Zaora,

If this is the case where can I go to download the female basic mesh?

Epimethee

As Goggles said, you should forget virtualization for real-time 3D games. I'm using Parallels, not VMWare Fusion, but the two apps use roughly the same principle, and 2D or 3D graphics look like the big performance bottlenek (no surprise); what's more, AFAIK, only the very latest Mac Pro workstations' Intel chipsets support virtualization of a system's actual graphic card rather than simulating a generic (crappy) Intel i815 card.

In my experience, virtualization works fine for light duty like FFEdit or Character Tool. For games, Bootcamp is the way to go.