• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

mixing dds and tga textures?

Started by Core, July 23, 2008, 02:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Core

i was swapping the textures used for the end nif of a melee fx, and of the 3 textures used, 2 of them were dds textures used by the game and the last one was a tga i made. when i tried to save it, i got an error message that said it could not write the nif file (or something to that extent). the textures were the only things i changed so i assume it has something to do with the dds's and the tga, but i wouldnt be surprised if i was wrong.

any thoughts?

GogglesPizanno

FFvTR does have some weird quirks when mixing the two formats. However, getting an error message like that shouldn't be related to just changing some textures, most texture problems occur with rendering in-game.

The error itself sounds like maybe the nif file was read only, which if you extracted it from the art.ff file is often the case.

AfghanAnt

I use tga instead of dds for my fx for FFTR and they work fine for me.

Core

i unchecked read-only and now it works just fine, but because i am easily influenced, i switched all the textures to tgas too.  :D

GogglesPizanno

Quotethe system is setup to accept both without predjudice. by default it looks for tgas but somewhere in the coding the game engine is setup to look for dds as a backup.

On Paper thats true... in practice, not always.
And the behavior of it is different depending on whether its a character mesh, static object etc...
So while in some cases everything works fine, there are others where weird things can happen.
So its one of those things where IF you are having weird texture issues, converting to DDS from TGA can help in some instances.

detourne_me

i'm converting everything to dds myself.memory issues,  the game runs faster and it saves space

AfghanAnt

Quote from: detourne_me on July 25, 2008, 08:21:22 AM
i'm converting everything to dds myself.memory issues,  the game runs faster and it saves space

Which convertor do you use? I'm having memory issues with my laptop but I still want to release high quality tgas, could you send me the link?