• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

"You must specify at least one bone node" fx problem

Started by Indigo, August 19, 2007, 10:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indigo

Hey guys, I'm trying to make a new crowbar projectile for Renegade and Grenadier's Wrecker...well, not exactly make a new one but the crowbar_throw2 fx projectile that comes with the mesh...well, the skin doesn't match the one that Wrecker's holding.  It does bother me a bit to see him holding a shiny crowbar (thanks to Courtnall6) then throws a different skinned one.  So for the sake of cosmetic detail, I'm working on this.  Let me make it clear that the Wrecker and crowbar meshes are one of the many fine works of Renegade and Grenadier and its great skin by Courtnall6, I blame him for wanting a shiny crowbar projectile :P. 

So let's get it on...

I imported in 3ds Max 7 the Wrecker mesh and deleted everything else except for his shiny crowbar.  I also imported the crowbar_throw2's core.nif, aligned it properly and deleted it as well. Then I made an attempt to export it as a Netimmerse/Gamebryo (core.nif) format and I get "You must specify atleast one bone node".

I know I'm missing something like I have to rig it or some bounding box and that's what I want to know from you veterans here, can any of you shed some light on this pls?

Thanks in advance gents,
Indigo :)

Indigo

2) how did you pull off importing existing meshes into max? - you realize this takes a lot of effort because noone wants their work stolen or altered.
3) did you get permission from the mesher before you decided to start importing their work and using it for whatever you want?
I mean this in the most polite way but don't insult my common sense, IPS.  I've been in a modding community of C&C Generals Zero Hour and I'm sure as hell know the delicate issue of the difference between editing someone's hard work then releasing/stealing it as his own and editing someone's hard work (with the proper recognition to the original creator) but keeping it for himself and not releasing a download for it.  I experienced difficulties in 3d modelling myself and not just frankensteining so I recognize the great deal of hard work and patience these respected meshers achieved, hell, I can't even animate properly.  Now, let me make it clear that my only intention is yes, to edit a part of the mesh but I will not have it released, nor claim it as the original author.  I'm honestly not familiar with how things run in this community because I admit I'm guilty of being ignorant which is not an excuse, and I greatly respect the meshers here so I want to know that if I edit someone's creation but I will only keep it for my own personal use, not have it released nor claim as the original creator, am I already stealing someone's work?  Pls feel free to correct me, because if this is indeed stealing, I request the moderators to lock/delete this thread asap.  My deepest apologies to Renegade, Grenadier and Courtnall6.

4) this sounds like a skin issue. why didn't you just reskin the crowbar to match both instances instead of go to all this trouble?
The crowbar projectile fx appears to be bigger than what the mesh is wielding.  I can really be a nitpick in cosmetic details sometimes.  I really would like to request the authors to do this for me but I just want to avoid the "do it yourself" replies.  Better to learn how to fish than ask for a fish I guess, and I hate that quote.  I'm usually a lazy person so trust me when I say I'm not having fun doing this, especially if this is an act of stealing, damn.  :doh:

JKCarrier

Instead of doing it in 3DMax, you might be able to just load the character.nif into NikSkope, delete Wrecker's body (just leaving the crowbar) and then save that as core.nif. You'll probably have to rotate the crowbar around a bit in NifSkope so it's oriented the right way.

Indigo

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking JK, but I'm so not familiar with Nifskope for the moment I don't even know how to rotate a loaded mesh on it.  I'll just have to spend more time with Nifskope.  So when I save it as core.nif, it doesn't require any sort of boning/rigging, right?

Revenant

Why not just reskin the FX?  In nifSkope you can rename the base texture, put the tga file that has the shiny crowbar into your FX textures directory.  And then you might have to edit the UV map so the texture is aligned properly.

Or alternately you could copy the crowbar from the mesh, and paste it onto the existing throw_fx's core nif. 

Boalt92

QuoteOr alternately you could copy the crowbar from the mesh, and paste it onto the existing throw_fx's core nif. 

That's how I've been doing it.  Just find a base fx you like (maybe centurian spear toss?), hide the core and paste the crowbar in its place.  Takes about 10 minutes.

B92

PS--
Nifskope is point-click simple and you can teach yourself to use it in a few hours, there's also a few tutorials on the wiki site.

Indigo

No problem with me, I would have reacted the same way if anyone attempts to steal someone else's work and I understand your cause so no grudges from me rest assured  ^_^

Well, I'm glad I have to ditch 3ds Max, I'll try to get familiar with Nifskope from now on.  Thanks for the help gents.