• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Easy Tutorials.

Started by UnkoMan, February 11, 2007, 11:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

So I've been thinking... I might want to start trying to make some FX. But I'm not sure how to go about it. Are there any tutorials for this sort of thing?

I'm thinking I would like to start by using some in-game FX (specifically the bubbles stuff), change their colour, and swap their end .nif for other things, so I can make myself exploding gumballs, and freezing, and gas filled... Then, if I start to get the hang of it, who knows?

So, is it not that complicated? Can somebody talk me through it step by step, or are they already some nice tutorials that I just haven't seen yet?

UnfluffyBunny

well if you're into nifskope, you can open the nif you want to use, find the texture names, change those to what you'll name your new textures (making sure lengths stay the same I guess, ie bluebubble.tga might become unkobubble.tga ) save the nif, then just make the aptly named textures (ie open the old bluebubble, make your changes, save as unkobubble) and erm, thats about it for the texture work, put all the relevant parts in 1 folder, (start.nif, core.nif and end.nif) and install like usual

UnkoMan

Hmm... alright... It took me a while, but I think I am starting to get the hang of this.
For some reason when I copied the blue bubble FX I got blue beam, which was weird, but then I used Sea Urchin's bubbles and it seemed to work. A quick test confirmed it.

I think I'll be able to do this. Thanks a lot. If I come across any problems I'll be sure to post them.

electro

www.fxforce.com has great tutorials just look under the Miscellaneous FX section at the very bottom :blink:

The Pwime

I'm thinking about making some FX too...some to go along with my Predator mesh, and others for some of my avatars powers.  :blink:

Now if only I could finish the damn skins...  :banghead:

UnkoMan

Well, I completed all the gumballs. It was very simple, and looks nice.

One thing, however... They use end nifs from other ingame powers. I didn't have to edit those, however I decided to open them. Most of them I couldn't get open with Nifskope for some reason or another. Entropy's null shadows, Liberty Lad's energy grenade, and the Ant's acid bombs.

Also, whenever I saved I got the message unassigned parent link, but that didn't seem to actually cause problems.

Anyways... Those FX tuts look pretty sweet. I will look into some of this more later tonight.