• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

NBC's _Heroes_

Started by stumpy, February 01, 2007, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Kitt Basher

Cat:

[spoiler]I considered that as well, but I remembered that the purse Peter was holding was invisible.  Of course Claude did hand it to him. hmmm ... I'll have to ponder a bit longer  :P [/spoiler]

NomadX

Figured I'd throw this in while I still have it on my mind:

[spoiler] Ok, so we now know that Peter can use the powers of every "super" he has came in contact with. The thing that confuses me is that when future Hiro visits him, he says something about a scar. How can Peter have a scar if he can use Claire's super regen? Also, I believe that right now Peter seems to have the upperhand if he were to fight Sylar (he has the better power list), but that will probably change. [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

NomadX:

[spoiler]Some official sources have confirmed that Peter will indeed gain a scar and apparently become bald as well.

He may have Claire's powers, but he has to switch them one.  If he's knocked out, or his powers go ballistic. . . well, let's just say, I can see it happening.[/spoiler]

The Hitman

Hey, I can't remember, has Peter met, or at least come in contact, with Eden? That would explain the "Evil voice" he had. Plus, if you notice, Isaac does tell him the truth as to why he wants Peter captured, which is what Pete asked for...

catwhowalksbyhimself

Come to think of it, yes, he did.  She was in the room when he met with Mohinder, and repeated the conversation to HRG.  Good catch!

bredon7777

Quote from: Nymph on February 20, 2007, 03:15:53 PM
Has anyone been on the Primatech Papersite????

Its actually quite Fun!  :thumbup:

Oh, its much more than that.  Go ahead and call the 1-800 number to get the code for the employment page- apply for a job and you'll start to get messages from Wireless( best if you have a cell phone, it seems- they are really slow about sending emails :( ).

The latest text leads you to:

http://www.corinthianlasvegas.com/

Owned and operated by our favorite shadowy man behind the scenes, Linderman- apparently this is what he does when hes not ordering hits or framing politicans.

Play the flash games till you get $400k in credit- you'll then get a pop up asking if you want to join their "Titan Club." - among the perks that Titan Club members get?  Tours of Mr. Linderman's private collections!

Glitch Girl

Hahahahah.. that's cool.I'm loving the tieins they're doing.  First the comics and hte Blog, now this. 

BTW: Bad me, every time the guy who took Hiro to find Ando talked, I thought of Spongebob Squarepants (Bill does the voice of Patrick Star)

stumpy

Some random thoughts
[spoiler]
There is a lot of stuff that we just don't know, despite some interesting speculation.

• We don't know if Peter can use two or more powers at once. The paint can toss was a wash, since it could be done either way and we don't really know whether everything an invisible touches becomes invisible or not. I am in the two+ camp, but only because, if - as people seem to think - he used TK drop the taser bullets after he used time stop to halt them, then he either had to use the TK at the same time as the time stop was in effect, or he had to use the TK on them when they were only a foot or so away, which means in just a few milliseconds. Frankly, the bullets didn't move forward at all between the time they halted and the time they dropped, which supports the simultaneous TK and time stop theory.

As an aside, the two+ version does make Peter more powerful then the strict one theory, but there are many things the writers can do to balance this. For instance, using too many simultaneously or too close together may make him sick or the powers unstable or even unhinge him mentally. Or it might just plain wear him out. We saw him huffing at the end of the Isaak scene.

• We don't know that Claude is a scientist, though he at least knows a little trivia about pidgeons. I would lean toward his being a researcher at some point, but only because that's the sort of thing writers like and it gives them a chance to shoehorn in some backstory with him and Chandra and perhaps set up some interplay with Mohinder, when the time arises.

• Back to Peter, we don't know how long he can replicate powers, once exposed to them. Moreover, we don't know if the person from whom he gets the power has to be using it at the time or just has to have it. So far, I think all the powers he has shown are ones that were in use near him. (Though I am not quite sure about Isaac, since we can't really be sure how his power was working when he was spun.)

• During Sylar's captivity, one of the guys poking him (I think it's the guy he snuffs and leaves in his place for HRG to find) speculates that all the different DNA he is absorbing is driving him crazy. Maybe, maybe not. He killed someone before he absorbed any DNA, so his homocidal tendencies existed (and were expressed) just with his own DNA. Whether absorbing more is making him crazier or not, we have no way to say.

Meanwhile, it's possible that there exists a character who can permanently remove a power or powers. Mohinder suggested that there might be a technological way to do so and we know that Lemnos can apparently suppress a power (I am assuming that was his doing and not HRG's, though technically, I think they were both there whenever it happened.) If the healing power he mimicked from Claire were removed, that might explain his scar (which we may never see anyway, since that was just from a possible future). One could argue that the scar should heal as soon as he gets the power again, but unless all his dental work is undone (assuming he has ever had a filling, wisdom teeth removed, etc.) and anything similar (appendectomies, tonsilectomies, and any similar somewhat common procedures), it may be that a wound that heals without the regen power stays healed the old way. Of course, Peter may at some point be able to control the power to the point where he might choose not to have a certain wound heal, for symbolic purposes...

BTW, all this reminds me that we should never see Claire (or Peter, now) with a sun tan or burn. And, without elaborating, let's just say that, if she's ever pushed into a volcano, only the gods will know if it was a legitimate sacrifice.
[/spoiler]

MJB

Quote from: Glitch Girl on February 20, 2007, 07:31:10 PM
BTW: Bad me, every time the guy who took Hiro to find Ando talked, I thought of Spongebob Squarepants (Bill does the voice of Patrick Star)

It must be the curse of being a VO* nut. I was thinking the same thing while watching him on the last episode.  :blink:

-MJB

[size=0]*=voice over[/size]

captainspud

Assuming the bomb plot works out one way or another at the end of the season, and all the characters are there for it... let's start seeing some speculation. Let's see some plot runs that bring everybody together in time. Creative writing time, folks! :)

catwhowalksbyhimself

About Peter's scar:

[spoiler]As I said earlier in this thread, the writers have confirmed that he WILL be getting it at some point.  It may not be until the second season, though.[/spoiler]

Nymph

Noticed how in Peter's Dream........When he explodes.......

[spoiler]Simone is there.....but she can't now so it might not be a proper prediction.
Sylar may blow up NYC not him.[/spoiler]

Revenant

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 20, 2007, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: Nymph on February 20, 2007, 03:15:53 PM
Has anyone been on the Primatech Papersite????

Its actually quite Fun!  :thumbup:

Oh, its much more than that.  Go ahead and call the 1-800 number to get the code for the employment page- apply for a job and you'll start to get messages from Wireless( best if you have a cell phone, it seems- they are really slow about sending emails :( ).

The latest text leads you to:

http://www.corinthianlasvegas.com/

Owned and operated by our favorite shadowy man behind the scenes, Linderman- apparently this is what he does when hes not ordering hits or framing politicans.

Play the flash games till you get $400k in credit- you'll then get a pop up asking if you want to join their "Titan Club." - among the perks that Titan Club members get?  Tours of Mr. Linderman's private collections!

Cool.. I'm good at blackjack, I'm trying it on my downtime at work.

lugaru

Quote from: stumpy on February 21, 2007, 04:34:23 AM
During Sylar's captivity, one of the guys poking him (I think it's the guy he snuffs and leaves in his place for HRG to find) speculates that all the different DNA he is absorbing is driving him crazy. Maybe, maybe not. He killed someone before he absorbed any DNA, so his homocidal tendencies existed (and were expressed) just with his own DNA. Whether absorbing more is making him crazier or not, we have no way to say.[/li][/list]

In my opinion Sylar started out as a predator. He had this instinct that said "kill and feed and become more powerful". The more powers he has absorved the greedier he gets. Earlier in the series he would stalk his victims for hours. Now he randmly kills people with a very high risk of incriminating himself (such as in the most recent episode). In other words Im pretty sure he is not getting any smarter.

Talavar

I think with Sylar it's also a matter of growing boldness.  Not only does he have a large arsenal of powers to draw on now, but he's also been getting away with murder basically for some time, and he escaped from the only people who tried to stop him.  That's got to make him believe no one could stop him at this point.

Gremlin

That's not increased boldness, that's increased arrogance.  Sylar thinks that now he has access to the List, he's untouchable.  He figures he can rack up powers faster than the cops can get on his tail, and with each one becomes stronger and stronger until he's untouchable.

Note: If Peter can use Sylar's telekinesis, and his powers are based off of his empathy, will he only be able to reuse powers that he's seen Sylar use?  If Peter has copied Sylar's cyrokinesis, super-memory and clockwork vision (among others), does he even know he can?  All he's ever seen Sylar use is the psychokinesis.  What if he needs to do some good old fashioned research to see what Sylar's full abilities are, and how to use them?  And Sylar's powers are abberative and unnatural because they've been stolen--will copying those powers cause some sort of as-of-now unknown side effect in Peter?  If Sylar's insanity became more pronounced as his DNA changed, and we know Peter's powers rapidly alter his genetic code, maybe combining the two is a recipe for disaster.  Since the telekinesis was the only power he mimicked, it wouldn't have too much effect, but what about later, if he suddenly copies all of them?  Or perhaps it's tied into the time Sylar absorbed them.  Early on, he wasn't altering his DNA much, but later, when his genes were already scrambled, each new addition is harder and harder.  So maybe Peter wouldn't feel bad because of the clockwork vision or the telekinesis, but somethign bad might happen if he copies, say, molecular deconstitution or super-hearing.

Nymph

Adding my 2 cents......

SYLAR:

Beginning of the series he is alot more cunning in the way he killed people it was incredibly smart and outlandish
that it could have only been him....he took his time doing it and left no trace!   
(My Take)  His role was that of a predator who knew how to kill his prey with a clear goal. (Take thier powers slowly.)<----Like a Hunter

Now he is taking down any 'super'/'hero' he can find! No praying on te enemy with caution. He is so cocky that he can take them on that he doesnt care. What Sylar has failed to retain is the hunter like instinct....and his goal. 
(My Take) His role.....now......is that of a Junkie or Addict! He has no restriction. Dale even pointed out how he was nervous and anxious when they talked.  I like how he devolved into a lower state of mind there....yet his body and abilities increase. His new goal........(Get as powerful as possible fast!)  <----Like a Glutton

My only positive part about this is that they are adding better dialogue for him other than "Im psycho!"...."I am powerful!"...."I want more!"   LOL!  :P   "What is that sound, there, in your heart?"       "Murder!!!!!!"

thalaw2

Finally this show is being translated (via subtitles..thank goodness) and shown in China.  I just saw epi 15 or 16..can't remember. 

[spoiler]
Sylar joined Dr. Sereshe and picked up what could be molecular deconstruction...good prediction Gremlin!  Claire's mother makes me sick...how can she deny her daughter a chance to meet her father and cheat hear out of half of the $100,000?  At first I thought she didn't want the money, because she was surprised by the offer.  But the fact that she cheated her daughter out of a proper cut makes me wonder if she really is the mother.

We know Hiro hasn't lost his powers, but what would cause him not to be able to use them for so long?
[/spoiler]

The Hitman

Quote from: Gremlin on February 21, 2007, 08:04:52 PM
Note: If Peter can use Sylar's telekinesis, and his powers are based off of his empathy, will he only be able to reuse powers that he's seen Sylar use?  If Peter has copied Sylar's cyrokinesis, super-memory and clockwork vision (among others), does he even know he can?  All he's ever seen Sylar use is the psychokinesis.

Clockwork Vision. I really like that term. Just sounds cool. Good one!

Pete could possibly draw all those power and not know it. Like I said earlier, he met Eden. She never used her powers around him, but he (probably) channeled them anyways. I think he just has to be near the power to aquire it, and think of the power to use it. It's just a mental block for him to have to think about the people who use them.

I also think the dream was more of a metaphor (that's not a good word for it. I can't think of what I want to say) of what's going to happen. I mean, he is absorbing powers at an alarming rate (his line, "I've absorbed their powers, Nathan. I can't control it.") His may cause the destruction to the other characters, albiet in other ways (already kind- of caused the death of Simone). Nate is starting to get closer to him (Line: "I'm here. I'm here to help."). And, I mean, why in the heck would Matt the Psychic be wearing his cop uniform in New York, especially after he's been kicked off the force... and Clair's cheerleader outfit?! I'm gonna have to look at the tape again, to see if there's any more info to back up my idea.

Revenant

Well, the last time Peter saw Claire, wasn't she in that outfit?  Both times, when he saved her, and when she visited him in his holding cell?

The Hitman

Right, but Matt wasn't in his cop uniform... or was he? I don't remember.

Conduit

[spoiler]
I am in the two+ camp, but only because, if - as people seem to think - he used TK drop the taser bullets after he used time stop to halt them, then he either had to use the TK at the same time as the time stop was in effect, or he had to use the TK on them when they were only a foot or so away, which means in just a few milliseconds. Frankly, the bullets didn't move forward at all between the time they halted and the time they dropped, which supports the simultaneous TK and time stop theory.
He just stopped the bullets with TK.  If you look closely, you can clearly see Claude moving.

[/spoiler]

Quote from: The Hitman on February 22, 2007, 05:13:23 AM
Right, but Matt wasn't in his cop uniform... or was he? I don't remember.
Peter's never seen Matt in his cop uniform, and Claire wasn't in her cheerleader uniform when she visited him in his holding cell.

Protomorph

The first time Peter had absorbed Issac's power, he hadn't used it in front of him.

Upon absorbing Claire's healing, she hadn't been healing at the time (though perhaps hers is constantly on in the background).

I'm still interested in seeing what happens when he meets Nikki (I imagine it'll happen soon, when she tries to whack Nathan. I hope she makes the trip to nyc, instead of luring him to Vegas)

Ted is still very much in the picture, and still may yet be the one who goes nuke.

And what power will Linderman have?

Here's another thing I thought of...If Sylar killed/absorbed Pete's power, would he get all the abilities that he's absorbed? And if that happened, it would stave off the loss of life, as Sylar wouldn't have to kill people anymore.

catwhowalksbyhimself

About the dreams:

I've already mentioned this, but the writers have said that the scene WILL happen and that Nathan's refusal to leave is a very important somehow.  Obviously the details will be somewhat different, but the gist of that scene will happen.

I also suspect that they dreams are a result of absorbing either Isaac's power, or that of another Super (possibly Simone's dad)

Conduit

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 22, 2007, 01:41:33 PM
I also suspect that they dreams are a result of absorbing either Isaac's power, or that of another Super (possibly Simone's dad)

When all of Peter's powers came back at once in episode 14, he had flashbacks to his NYC explosion dream at the same time his eyes went all white like when Isaac paints the future.  So that dream was probably from Isaac's power.

stumpy

[spoiler]
Quote from: Conduit on February 22, 2007, 08:43:21 AM
I am in the two+ camp, but only because, if - as people seem to think - he used TK drop the taser bullets after he used time stop to halt them, then he either had to use the TK at the same time as the time stop was in effect, or he had to use the TK on them when they were only a foot or so away, which means in just a few milliseconds. Frankly, the bullets didn't move forward at all between the time they halted and the time they dropped, which supports the simultaneous TK and time stop theory.
He just stopped the bullets with TK.  If you look closely, you can clearly see Claude moving.

Sure, Claude was moving, but he was touching Peter and we know others can be excluded the effect because future Hiro did that for Peter when they met. But other things were time-stopped, including the taser wires extending back from the bullets and there was no motion from the shooters (who were blurred). They even played a slowed version of the sound from the taser (the tk-tk-tk-tk sound becoming tk - tk  -  tk   -    tk), emphasizing the time-coming-to-a-halt effect. Whether he used TK after to drop the bullets, the initial use of Hiro's power is unmistakable.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Stumpy:

[spoiler]
QuoteSure, Claude was moving, but he was touching Peter and we know others can be excluded the effect because future Hiro did that for Peter when they met. But other things were time-stopped, including the taser wires extending back from the bullets and there was no motion from the shooters (who were blurred). They even played a slowed version of the sound from the taser (the tk-tk-tk-tk sound becoming tk - tk  -  tk   -    tk), emphasizing the time-coming-to-a-halt effect. Whether he used TK after to drop the bullets, the initial use of Hiro's power is unmistakable.
No, we've NEVER seen anyone be excluded from time stop.  If that were possible, Ando would have been immune to it many times, but Hiro can only effect himself.  Future Hiro did talk to Peter, but Hiro's powers make him immune to time stop (since he otherwise would be stopped too and not know that anything would happen) so Peter absorbed that ability, making him immune to the time stop too.  I'm positive that Peter's time freeze ended the instant he used TK.
[/spoiler]

stumpy

[spoiler]
Quote from: Protomorph on February 22, 2007, 12:58:31 PMThe first time Peter had absorbed Issac's power, he hadn't used it in front of him.

True enough, that's why I mentioned him.

Quote from: Protomorph on February 22, 2007, 12:58:31 PMUpon absorbing Claire's healing, she hadn't been healing at the time (though perhaps hers is constantly on in the background).

She had been healing from when Sylar tossed her against the wall seconds before she ran around the corner and into Peter. I don't know if she was fully done regenerating by then or not, but it it wouldn't surprise me if Peter were close enough by then to get the power. Of course, when he had fallen off the building with Sylar, it looked like he didn't start healing again until Claire ran up to him. Then again, it also looked like he was unconscious before she got there, too...

Overall, I'd have to agree that it looks like Peter absorbs powers passively from other specials, whether or not they are using them when he is near. And, I am fine with that. But, we should recognize that Peter has been living in one of the densest urban areas in the country and walking past tens of thousands of people over the years. If the notion that one in one hundred people is one of the specials, he potentially has a lot of powers in him, whether or not he knows what they are or how to use them. Of course, since, at least initially, he must focus on the person from whom he absorbed a power to activate it, he may never figure out what most of them are. It's just lucky that he hasn't absorbed a power that causes passive destruction...

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 22, 2007, 06:47:15 PMStumpy:
QuoteSure, Claude was moving, but he was touching Peter and we know others can be excluded the effect because future Hiro did that for Peter when they met. But other things were time-stopped, including the taser wires extending back from the bullets and there was no motion from the shooters (who were blurred). They even played a slowed version of the sound from the taser (the tk-tk-tk-tk sound becoming tk - tk  -  tk   -    tk), emphasizing the time-coming-to-a-halt effect. Whether he used TK after to drop the bullets, the initial use of Hiro's power is unmistakable.
No, we've NEVER seen anyone be excluded from time stop. If that were possible, Ando would have been immune to it many times, but Hiro can only effect himself.  Future Hiro did talk to Peter, but Hiro's powers make him immune to time stop (since he otherwise would be stopped too and not know that anything would happen) so Peter absorbed that ability, making him immune to the time stop too.

You don't know that we've never seen anyone excluded. There is no way to tell if Peter was excluded from the first one because he had absorbed the power and that passively confers immunity from it or because future Hiro excluded him. We wouldn't expect present-day Hiro to be able to exclude Ando or anyone else because he has so very little control over his power.

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 22, 2007, 06:47:15 PMI'm positive that Peter's time freeze ended the instant he used TK.

Your choice. It's certainly possible that, with time proceding normally, Peter's reaction time is good enough to totally stop the bullets without allowing them any forward motion, basically removing their momentum instantly. On the other hand, I don't see any reason to believe the time-stop wasn't at least partially in effect as he started the TK. But, there is no doubt that Peter did use a time-stop power on the rooftop in the last episode, which was my point in that paragraph. But, what Conduit said is also true: Claude was definitely moving while the bullets were time-stopped. So, it seems that he was either excluded/immune somehow or we have to disregard that as a filiming glitch. The latter is possible, but it opens up a ridiculous can of worms applicable to any instance where we see anything happen. I'd say the former is likely, which supports the idea that time-stoppers are not the only ones excludable from a time-stop.[/spoiler]

Gremlin

[spoiler]I'm pretty sure Hiro (and thus Peter) can exclude people from the time stop, mainly because of Hope shooting them.  The bullet fired, but then went back into the barrel.  If he had just rewound time, the bullet simply would've gone back, and they still would've been shot.  But if he caused the bullet, and just the bullet, to move back in time, while the gun itself remained in the same time frame, he could conceivably cause the bullet to explode inside the barrel.  Which is what happened.  This incident perfectly illustrates the incredible amount of control Hiro actually has.[/spoiler]

Thought: Hiro's powers involve bending space and time.  According to Einstein's theory of Relativity, guess what else is governed by space-time?  Gravity.  God, he'd be so much more uber.

BentonGrey

|