• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The Thrilling Exploits of... (Game has started- see other thread!)

Started by Alaric, April 30, 2007, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

BlueBard

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 24, 2007, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 24, 2007, 03:33:15 PM
Quote from: BlueBard on May 24, 2007, 02:02:14 PM
Only here could one find a scene from the twisted alternate reality 'Freedom Force Meets Young Frankenstein'.  :rolleyes:

And that, my friend, is entirely the twist I was aiming for.   ^_^

The corollary to your statement is that only here could we find a group of people who could get (and appreciate) such a scene!
amen to that.  :D

Heh.  I tried to explain 'Young Frankenstein' to my wife once... who's never seen a Frankenstein movie and never watched a Mel Brooks movie.  I couldn't get past the whole reanimation thing, which she considers to be twisted.

Sometimes she forgets that so am I.   :lol:

Uncle Yuan

And it is for the proper cinematic education of our significant others that God created Netflix . . .

edite . . . and now that the Yuanling is a teenager, and thus old enough to really start to "get" adult movies, I realize that Netflix is also for the proper cinematic education of our children!

Glitch Girl

Indeed. This poor woman has lived a deprived life. 

anyway, back to the game...
QuoteSteve

"Me?  Abnormalities?  No!  I mean, no.  Unless maybe you count being able to do this with my thumb."  I hold out my my thumb in a "hitchiker" pose.  The last segment forms a nearly right angle back over the rest of the finger.  "I've heard it called a "hitchiker's thumb" and it's a genetically recessive trait that not many people can do.  And an enjoyment for the complex mathematics that I need to do for my job.  Aside from that I'm pretty normal, I guess."

Whoot!  Another normal person (relatively speaking;) )!  Go normals!  :D :P

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 24, 2007, 08:50:54 PM
QuoteSteve

"Me?  Abnormalities?  No!  I mean, no.  Unless maybe you count being able to do this with my thumb."  I hold out my my thumb in a "hitchiker" pose.  The last segment forms a nearly right angle back over the rest of the finger.  "I've heard it called a "hitchiker's thumb" and it's a genetically recessive trait that not many people can do.  And an enjoyment for the complex mathematics that I need to do for my job.  Aside from that I'm pretty normal, I guess."

Wait . . . are you implying that your character is normal, too?  Well that doesn't work at all!!  If there are two of us that must make us . . .

a pair of normals!

Glitch Girl

Alaric

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 25, 2007, 06:52:01 PM
Quote from: Alaric on May 25, 2007, 06:27:51 PM
Steve:

When you say you leave the office, do you mean you go out the front door, or something else?

OOC: Front door, of course.  Someone has to move this plot forward! :D

As my father accidentally said when he was playing Polonius in Hamlet some years ago, "If this be method, yet there is madness in it"...

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 24, 2007, 08:50:54 PM
Indeed. This poor woman has lived a deprived life. 

anyway, back to the game...
QuoteSteve

Is Lizzie's real name Abbie?  ;)

Glitch Girl

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Alaric on May 29, 2007, 07:27:25 PMNoticing the number of people in or emerging from the doctor's office, the men seem a little unsure. One whispers somethign to the others briefly, and two of the men back up a little, keeping watch on anyone who emerges from the office.

......and a fireball goes off in the room.  Have fun, Frank!  :lol:

Alaric

Just wanted to compliment all the palyers on the great job they're doing on characterization and role-playing. You're all making this game a pleasure to GM, and there are times when I just have to sit back and watch you interact for a while (admittadly, that does slow the game down a little, but I can't help it). For example, the different characters' reactions to things paranormal, based on the different characters' differing past experiences, are very interesting. I made a point of trying to put together an extremely varied group from the alternate character submissions most of you sent me, and I'm glad to see all of you latching onto those differences and really playing them up. Great work!

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on May 29, 2007, 11:30:06 PM
Quote from: Alaric on May 29, 2007, 07:27:25 PMNoticing the number of people in or emerging from the doctor's office, the men seem a little unsure. One whispers somethign to the others briefly, and two of the men back up a little, keeping watch on anyone who emerges from the office.

......and a fireball goes off in the room.  Have fun, Frank!  :lol:

Okay, for my next character, I wanna roll up a half Tarasque, half demi-god who's a ninja. :D :P

And BTW Alaric, t'is our pleasure.  Just keep the updates coming.

BlueBard

Hey, if she gets that character I want a half-elven mutant cyborg netrunner/wizard/commando with wrist blasters, an Artifact of Endless Wishes, and a faerie familiar named Tinkerbell.

kkhohoho

Quote from: BlueBard on May 30, 2007, 09:51:02 AM
Hey, if she gets that character I want a half-elven mutant cyborg netrunner/wizard/commando with wrist blasters, an Artifact of Endless Wishes, and a faerie familiar named Tinkerbell.

How about a half catwoman/half snake women wearing a fedora and weilding both a machete, a big high energy laser cannon, and Dark Force Powers?  Or is that not good enough? :P

Viking

He's a half-elven mutant cyborg paramilitary wizard computer hacker on the run from the law.

She's a federoa-wearing, catwoman-serpent hybrid with a big honkin' laser cannon trying to resist the lure of the Dark Side.

They Fight Crime!

BlueBard

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 30, 2007, 09:59:00 AM

How about a half catwoman/half snake women wearing a fedora and weilding both a machete, a big high energy laser cannon, and Dark Force Powers?  Or is that not good enough? :P

Thanks, Kkhohoho!  I knew I was forgetting something...

Make that a half-elven mutant cyborg netrunner/wizard/jedi with wrist blasters, a built-in lightsaber, an Artifact of Endless Wishes, a faerie familiar named Tinkerbell, and the Millenium Falcon (with Chewbacca as co-pilot, of course).

Viking

These character concepts are reminding me of a Mage game in which one of the characters wanted to be a Bruce Lee martial artist and wizard, who wanted to use adamantium-coated brass knuckles, finger caps, and tonfas, all at the same time.  And then he wanted to get a 10' tall suit of high-tech assault armor to wear while he was doing his kung-fu moves.

Needless to say, the GM did not let him get away with any of those wishes.  But the rest of us sure laughed about it afterwards.

Alaric

Quote from: BlueBard on May 30, 2007, 10:32:52 AM
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 30, 2007, 09:59:00 AM

Thanks, Kkhohoho!  I knew I was forgetting something...

Make that a half-elven mutant cyborg netrunner/wizard/jedi with wrist blasters, a built-in lightsaber, an Artifact of Endless Wishes, a faerie familiar named Tinkerbell, and the Millenium Falcon (with Chewbacca as co-pilot, of course).

All right, but a character that powerful will need some kind of disadvantage or weakness to balance him. I know! He's mildly alergic to anchovies! Eating them casues a slight, but non-debilitating, rash on the sole of his left foot!

Character balanced.

Uncle Yuan

And don't forget "Overconfidence."  Every PC has to have "Overconfidence!"

Spam

Hmm...

I think my next character would just be a Tom Cruise clone...

Who throws exploding teddy bears, and has the help of Samurai Squirrels!

FORIAMSPAM!

BlueBard

Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2007, 10:36:42 AM
These character concepts are reminding me of a Mage game in which one of the characters wanted to be a Bruce Lee martial artist and wizard, who wanted to use adamantium-coated brass knuckles, finger caps, and tonfas, all at the same time.  And then he wanted to get a 10' tall suit of high-tech assault armor to wear while he was doing his kung-fu moves.

Needless to say, the GM did not let him get away with any of those wishes.  But the rest of us sure laughed about it afterwards.

Shoot, I would have let him have all of that.

Needless to say, all of that metal would totally screw up his spellcasting abilities.
The armor itself would disrupt his mana.
And somatic components would be extremely difficult to get right wearing brass knuckles and finger caps, or the armor's gauntlets.
And you know what happens when a spell is miscast...
Any attempt at kung-fu in an oversized suit of armor would force him to pass agility checks every round of combat or fall over.
And, of course, the brass knuckles and finger caps would neither fit over nor under the gauntlets of the armor.
Nor would he have a really firm grip on the tonfas with the gauntlets, as they are too big and clumsy.
And naturally, the gauntlets would need to be attached for the suit's power systems to be fully online.

I'd think the heavy metal would get left behind fairly quickly.  Thus opening the door for the next passing wandering enemy to start walking around in high-tech assault armor.

Yes. I'm the dreaded "Okay, you asked for it" breed of GM.

Spam

Quote from: BlueBard on May 30, 2007, 11:26:13 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2007, 10:36:42 AM
These character concepts are reminding me of a Mage game in which one of the characters wanted to be a Bruce Lee martial artist and wizard, who wanted to use adamantium-coated brass knuckles, finger caps, and tonfas, all at the same time.  And then he wanted to get a 10' tall suit of high-tech assault armor to wear while he was doing his kung-fu moves.

Needless to say, the GM did not let him get away with any of those wishes.  But the rest of us sure laughed about it afterwards.

Shoot, I would have let him have all of that.

Needless to say, all of that metal would totally screw up his spellcasting abilities.
The armor itself would disrupt his mana.
And somatic components would be extremely difficult to get right wearing brass knuckles and finger caps, or the armor's gauntlets.
And you know what happens when a spell is miscast...
Any attempt at kung-fu in an oversized suit of armor would force him to pass agility checks every round of combat or fall over.
And, of course, the brass knuckles and finger caps would neither fit over nor under the gauntlets of the armor.
Nor would he have a really firm grip on the tonfas with the gauntlets, as they are too big and clumsy.
And naturally, the gauntlets would need to be attached for the suit's power systems to be fully online.

I'd think the heavy metal would get left behind fairly quickly.  Thus opening the door for the next passing wandering enemy to start walking around in high-tech assault armor.

Yes. I'm the dreaded "Okay, you asked for it" breed of GM.

Oh wow...

That's like...

Just...

Wow...

Glitch Girl

Heh, we had something like that in one of the games I was in. 

The player wanted to be a movie star and have people adore him (along with powers of a DBZ character - he was a bit of a twit).

Then the GM introduced him to "groupies".  :twisted:

BTW: in regards to the current game - I get the feeling things are about to get ugly, and that's even before Frank shows up. 

BTW: What's Frank's middle name?  Nathan, Nathaniel, Norton..?  Gotta have an "N".  ;)

Viking

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 31, 2007, 07:25:18 AM
BTW: What's Frank's middle name?  Nathan, Nathaniel, Norton..?  Gotta have an "N".  ;)

You better stop there, GG.  You wouldn't want to go asking for the last name.  Someone might take offense and hit you with a beer Stein.  In other words, show some common Sense.

Back to the topic of blatantly munchkin characters...

A friend of mine once ran a game in a pulp action setting.  One of his players ran the character "Jebediah Jameson, Wealthy Adventurer," and really pushed the envelope in trying to take "Flaws" that really weren't flaws.  The GM let him take the flaws, but took BlueBard's evil GM approach to make them haunt the player.  Two of the Flaws stick out particularly in my mind...

One was that JJ had made an Enemy of a tribe of savages somewhere in South America.  The player figured, the adventures would rarely if ever lead to South America, and the savages only used primitive weapons, so no problem, right?

Wrong, of course.  The GM decided that the tribesmen were not so unsophisticated as to be incapable of travel to hunt down a sworn enemy.  JJ had more than one interrupted night of sleep from released swarms of fire ants and the trained tarantula attack...

JJ had also opted to take the Dependent NPC flaw.  JJ had a teenaged relative, Tony... who was then designed to be ambidexterous, and a better shot than anyone in the party.  Once again, the GM let it ride, deciding that Tony the Gun Punk hated his older cousin JJ, and actively tried to make life miserable for him.  One adventure, Tony was hypnotized to gun down JJ.  Of course, nobody can be hypnotized to do something they are morally opposed to doing - good thing Tony had no moral qualms!

(Years later, this same GM ran a one-shot adventure, borrowing the character templates from his past game.  A similarly unimaginative munchkin player decided to play JJ.  I got to play Tony the Gun Punk.  It was a blast.)

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Viking on May 31, 2007, 10:30:40 AM
JJ had also opted to take the Dependent NPC flaw.  JJ had a teenaged relative, Tony... who was then designed to be ambidexterous, and a better shot than anyone in the party.  Once again, the GM let it ride, deciding that Tony the Gun Punk hated his older cousin JJ, and actively tried to make life miserable for him.  One adventure, Tony was hypnotized to gun down JJ.  Of course, nobody can be hypnotized to do something they are morally opposed to doing - good thing Tony had no moral qualms!

(Years later, this same GM ran a one-shot adventure, borrowing the character templates from his past game.  A similarly unimaginative munchkin player decided to play JJ.  I got to play Tony the Gun Punk.  It was a blast.)
Literally? ;)

From my friend's gaming pages...
Rule #128: No one can get points for having an allergy to 'Death' even if does make you go unconscious and your limbs go stiff.

Rule # 164: I cannot take Weakness: Chocolate, Oxygen, or any Element that does not exist on Earth without exploding or radioactively decaying immediately.

Rule # 229: GM Note: If the characters start the game with the 3 million dollar diamond Victoria Secret bra or a fully reconditioned (and crewed) WWII Battleship, they might be abusing the 'Resources' background.

And totally off topic, but I love the mental image
QuoteRule # 185: X-men's Wolverine is Angsty and mindlessly aggressive. He does not have PMS. He would never scream "I'm retaining Water! (snickt)", "You are putting up an emotional wall, bub" or "Validate me!" before diving into combat or going on a crying jag. And, he would never end a mission by comming home with a different flavored pint of Hagen Daas on each claw.

Don't ask what game inspired that.

BlueBard

The name is "Fraunckensteen"

I have just one more thing to say...

"Frau Blücher"

{horse whinnies}

Hey, someone has to keep the Young Frankenstein gags going.

Viking

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 31, 2007, 10:49:02 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 31, 2007, 10:30:40 AM

Literally? ;)

Well, I never shot JJ, though I did get to shoot at other bad guys.  I did, however, convince him that he didn't need to get his gun before he took on half a dozen other gunmen with his bare hands.  I also got to treat his wounds afterwards - despite having no knowledge of any first aid whatsoever.

Viking

Good act... at least I hope it's an act.  Maybe I can-

-okay so much for that idea.

So, GG - what was your plan prior to Patch bum-rushing one of the thugs?

My original plan had been to try to pass the card with the warning off to Lizzie, suggesting that "she take the kid off to his school play now that he's had his checkup, and give me a call to discuss that issue of yours later."  With any luck, he was hoping that would have allowed Lizzie and Ashi to be allowed out of the building as being deemed unthreatening civilians by the thugs, giving them the option to attack the thugs from another angle.  But the moment one of the thugs made a move for his gun, I pretty much figured there wasn't time - he'd decided that he had no more time to waste.

Glitch Girl

Not really a PLAN per se...

[spoiler]It was going to be something to the effect of "play up the helpless southern belle possibly related to the victim" act, start talking rapidly about how worried I am, how he's had trouble, yadda yadda.  While I'm baffling them with BS, I use this as a distraction to close the gap, and then at the right moment, do something painful to something tender.  :twisted:

Lizzie's been in a few brawls, so she knows not to play nice ;) [/spoiler]

Oh yeah, and Lizzie's not great with "plans" either.  ;)

Panther_Gunn

ugh.....I think we need to work on Ashi's grasp of English & subterfuge.  ;)  I was *trying* to get him to move out to the side where he could cover them from that angle, before all of the scuffling started.  Suppose I'll need to be more direct next time.  Perhaps a boot in the rump.  :lol:

kkhohoho

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on June 01, 2007, 01:30:31 PM
ugh.....I think we need to work on Ashi's grasp of English & subterfuge.  ;)  I was *trying* to get him to move out to the side where he could cover them from that angle, before all of the scuffling started.  Suppose I'll need to be more direct next time.  Perhaps a boot in the rump.  :lol:

Sorry.  I was just playing my character as he would act.  Now, if Ray had told him "Why don't you move out to the side so you can cover us from an angle?", then we woud probally move.  But he didn't know what Ray meant.  (And neither did I. :P)

EDIT: Sorry.  Name mix-up.

|