• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Play-by-Post D&D: The Beginning

Started by Gremlin, February 06, 2007, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Glitch Girl

oog: Hey, I'm just a GM, not a miracle worker.  ;)

Glitch Girl

When we last left our adventurers...

...they were in deep midden.

Waking up in a strange dungeon sans gear and nearly sans clothes, our not-so-merry troop manage to escape their cell, only to be pursued by the horrors that lurk in the catacombs around them, including a nigh unstoppable iron behemoth who has been temporarily pinned to the ground, but for how long?  The only ways out lead to certain doom at the outnumbering hands of undead, and uncertain doom in the shadow shrouded corridor from whence the metal monster came.

We now rejoin our game in progress...

Metal creaks as the iron armor tries to break the enlarged Og's hold on it.  The half-ogre is holding it down for now against the slippery floor, at least until the spell wears off.  Meanwhile, the sorceress darts into the darkened doorway, followed by Anya.  Dakkon is close by, as are Shahzir and Orloid.

Lord Elcorion
[spoiler]You feel an odd tingle as you pass through the doorframe, like everything shifted slightly around you. In the room beyond, it's still dark, but not the inky pitch-blackness you saw from outside.  It'll take a moment for your eyes to adjust, however all is quiet here.  In fact, you don't even hear the sounds of the fight going on just outside.[/spoiler]

Lord Elcorion

my eyes start to glow with a baleful light/as i invoke the power of the Devils Sight! ((sorry, couldn't help myself, had to do a little rhyme))

Glitch Girl

Lord Elcorion
[spoiler]You cast your spell, and to no surprise/you can see with night bright eyes. :P

You look around and you're in a stone room, but the first things you notice are two more of those iron things standing a few feet away from where you came in.

These are a little different though. For one thing, They're not moving.

Besides the iron automatons, there's not much else inhere: a few stone stairs lead up to a sort of platform that overlooks the doorway you came in and behind it, a large iron door.  There are a few torch sconces but they're all dark. 

Anya whispers to you, "What do you think? Safe enough?" [/spoiler]

The things in the cages are going crazy, howling, yowling, and making a racket.  They're starting to throw themselves against the bars in a frothing frenzy. 

Meanwhile, the iron warrior strains against Og's pin.

Og
[spoiler] It's getting harder and harder to hold it down, but you can still do it, On the other hand, you notice that its forearm is starting to bend as it tries to break your enlarged grasp and there's a tiny crack forming between the elbow and wrist on the left arm.[/spoiler] 

Panther_Gunn

Og:  "ooh, metal man wiggle like goblin in trap!  Og think leave soon, good idea."

Og will continue to try to hold the pin as best he can, with a grip in the left wrist as much as possible.  If he feels like he's about to lose the pin & be thrown off, he'll try to scramble to his feet quicker than the walking armor, with an intent to either regaining the pin, or at least tripping or dropping it back on the ground again.

If he notices the Enlarge start to wear off, he'll try to position himself so that he's got some of the chain wrapped around it's neck like a garrote, to hopefully hold it back or off balance as long as possible.

Lord Elcorion

--to anya-- seems clear enough.. there's 2 more of those metal monsters, but they seem to be inactive.. lets try to give them as wide a bearth as possible.. i'm going to check the door at the top of the stairs.. i can cuase a fair bit of havoc with my blasts..

Glitch Girl

Lord Elcorion (you are SO going to have to use your character's name sooner or later ;) )
[spoiler]"You sure?" says Anay, "Okay then, I'll get the others.  In case you need backup." 

She heads back towards the door you came in.[/spoiler]

Everyone else.

Anya suddenly emerges from the dark doorway.

"Come on guys!  It's clear!"

Uncle Yuan

Orloid edges warily past Og, as if afraid he might jump off of the metal monster just as he passes.  With a quick backwards glance he hurries up the passageway.

[spoiler]Do I have any idea what that thing is?  Does Arcana apply to identifying monsters?  And where are the undead at this point?[/spoiler]

Glitch Girl

Orloid
[spoiler]You've heard of things like this created with magic to perform tasks such as guarding or acting as a soldier...  They're supposed to be very hard to stop.  Beyond that, not much really (sorry, crappy roll)

As for the Skeletons, there are none in the room yet, but you're pretty sure you hear something out back the way you came.[/spoiler]

Orloid picks his way past Og and the iron gia- I mean the iron behemoth and ducks through the doorway past Anya.  There's a brief moment of disorientation and then...

You see dark.  It'll take a second for your eyes to adjust.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Glitch Girl on June 20, 2007, 06:34:27 PM
Anya suddenly emerges from the dark doorway.

"Come on guys!  It's clear!"

"Hmpf.  It's dark."  I'm not worried about me - and I'm certainly not worried about the dwarf, but the humans are going to have trouble seeing well enough to fight in here.  I tear a strip off the bottom of my robe, wrap it around my hand, raise it up and cast Light on it.

[spoiler]Light, L0, light as a torch, 10 min/level.  BTW - what's the name of my god again?  And at some point I'll need to know what his preferred weapon is and etc.[/spoiler]

Glitch Girl

Lord Elcorion's Character
[spoiler] You see the elven priest appear through the dark doorway.  He blinks a few times as his eyes adjust and then he tears a bit of fabric off his makeshift clothes and starts to wrap it around his hand.[/spoiler]

Orloid:
[spoiler] Even though it's pitch black, your eyes adjust quickly, even before you can finish preparing the spell.  You're in a large stone room, half of which is raised up to overlook the area you're in.  The spellcaster is here.

Oh yeah, and there are two more of those iron monsters here looming near you.

Now that you focus on them, they don't seem to be moving.

Remaining questions answered via PM[/spoiler]

Og
[spoiler]Your insides start to feel a little odd.  Not "bad" or "sick" odd, just like something's shifting a bit, like your bones are trying to remember what it was like to be smaller.[/spoiler]

Dakkon, Shahzir & Og

The monster big Og has pinned is aparently trying it's best to get free.  One of the arms straining against the giant half-ogre is literally starting to visibly warp.

You all start hearing a clicking noise.  It's hard to where it's coming from.

BentonGrey

OOC: Does it look like the arm will give before Og will?  Ohh, and do you need to know about Dakkon, as he's not your average elf?

Dakkon edged cautiously past the struggling pair and the spell greased floor, giving the behemoth one last rap with his broken halberd for good measure on the way out.  As he passed through the door and caught sight of the other two metal figures, his large eyes widened even further. 

"Hmm...they don't seem to be as unfriendly as their compatriot outside..." he mumbled, half to himself.  Then, turning to the spellcasters around him, he asked, "do you think we might be able to make use of these creatures?"

Lord Elcorion

to dakkon - "i wouldn't want to risk it. the things may be dorment now, but who knows what the trigger might be to start them off." in the mean time, i'm going to start climbing the stairs, and try to listen for anything beyond the door there. ((and GG, it's a big trust issue for Annia to give out her name to someone  :ph34r:))

Glitch Girl

Dakkon: Hard to say. If things continue to go as they are now, probably the arm.
And yes, I will need your background and character sheet ASAP

Back in the cells:
"Come on you two," says Anya, "we better go, and go NOW!"  She quickly darts back through the dark doorway, not waiting to see what happens.

Past the dark doorway:
A soft glow appears around  Orloid's hand and lights the chamber. 

The two iron menaces loom over you and suddenly completely fail to move and attack you.  Now that you've got some light, you can see there's a faint layer of dust on them as if they haven't moved in a long time. 

Anya arrives.  "Anything good?" she asks.

The room is stone, with steps leading up to a raised area that overlooks the archway you came in. In the raised area on the wall opposite you is a large iron door.  There are a few torch sconces all unlit.

OOG: Lord Elcorion  - I know but I was getting tired of calling you "Lord Elcorion 's Character" ;)

Uncle Yuan

[spoiler]
QuoteThe spellcaster is here.

Where?  You didn't mention him in your party-wide description of the room.  What's he (?) doing as we begin to file into the room?[/spoiler]

Glitch Girl

Yuan
[spoiler] The spellcaster being the female elf who casts spells who hasn't given you her name yet. So far, you haven't seen anyone else except for the group you woke up in the cell with.[/spoiler]

Uncle Yuan

[spoiler] :banghead: Ok, Ok, I'm on the page now . . . [/spoiler]

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Glitch Girl on June 24, 2007, 07:57:10 PM
Back in the cells:
"Come on you two," says Anya, "we better go, and go NOW!"  She quickly darts back through the dark doorway, not waiting to see what happens.

ooc:  Just a clarification; are Og & Shahzir the only two of the party left in the room, or did she seem to be speaking to Dakkon as well?  It will matter greatly as to whether Og thought she was speaking to him or not.

[spoiler]If Og notices that he's starting to return to his normal size, his plan is to scramble so that he's lying along the same line as the metal creature, head to head, with it on it's back still (hopefully), and Og on his stomach (or possibly hands & knees), so that he can use the manacle chains and leverage to hold it down with the chain across it's throat, pinning it to the ground.  Hope I explained that well enough for a visual.[/spoiler]

Glitch Girl

OOC: Yup they all left, just you and Shahzir who I may take over briefly just to keep you guys together if he doesn't post tonight.

And yes that will do for a visual.  Painfully so.  ;)

Gonna give Konbiz a few more hours then I'm going to move on.

Uncle Yuan

I'll go ahead and stap into the room - keeping an eye on the "statues."  Can the door we came through be barred in any way?

"Um, Anya, is this other door safe?" I ask, gesturing to the door beyond the dias.

Glitch Girl

Og & Shahzir:

Shazir decides that the thief and the elves had the right idea and quickly slips through the darkened archway, leaving Og the only one in the cell area.

Og, the archway is just large enough for you to fit if you duck before the spell wears off. 

There's a loud squawk of tortured metal as the iron creature's arm cracks through.  Og now has a detatched lower arm in his oversizedhand and metal monster flailing a stump that it's trying to use to club the ogre off.

Beyond the Door:
There is no actual "door" back the way you came.  It appear to be nothing more than a dark archway that even Orloid's light can't penetrate.

The female spellcaster climbs the stairs and leans her head against the door.

Lord Elcorion's character
[spoiler]You don't hear anything on the other side.  Either the door is muffling the noise very well, or there's not much there to hear.[/spoiler]

"Um, Anya, is this other door safe?" Orloid asks, gesturing to the door beyond the dias.

"Dunno," says Anya.  She walks up to the door and starts examining it carefully.

Glitch Girl

OOG: OG, what are you doing - all your friends are gone?

Anya keeps peering at the door.   "Can I get some of that light over here?" she asks.

Uncle Yuan

Keeping en eye on the doorway back to where the golem is, I move over to give Anya some extra light.  "Anyone have any ideas about how to slow that thing down?  There's not much in this room - maybe move the statues over to block the door?"

Glitch Girl

Anay doesn't say anything, she seems focused on the door.  After a moment, she inserts the blade of her rusty short sword into the seam between the door and the wall.  You hear a small "click".

"Okay, I THINK that's got it," says Anya, but it sounds like she's not too certain herself. 

Panther_Gunn

ooc:  out of curiosity, what position on the floor did the metal creature end up?  his head wouldn't be pointing towards the door he came through, would it?  If so, Og will attempt the previously detailed positioning, as a staging step towards a full-out run for, and through, the doorway.  Even at his low intelligence, he's pretty sure this thing is gonna try to pursue.

Also, how long is that stump of hand?  Is it long enough for Og to use as a club?

Glitch Girl

Og:
The stump is about two feet long of iron armored forearm.  It's hollow inside beneath about 2 inches of metal casing but still very solid and would really hurt if it hit something soft. like the average skull.  The fingers are still twitching though.

Og uses the chain to both pin the creature across the throat briefly and to leverage himself up and lurches towards the dark archway.  If he were to glance backwards, he'd see the iron behemouth trying to get to it's feet but having a little trouble due to it's lack of arm. 

Though it's a bit of a tight fit even while ducking, Og manages to make it through the doorway and feels the same odd sensation of "shifting" before he arrives...

Beyond the door
There's a distrubance at the archway you all came through as a HUGE creature bursts out into the room with the rest of you.  Anya gives a small yelp and readies her weapon.

Lucky for all of you, it's only Og.  Unnaturally large and half-ogre-y, which is pretty scary in of itself, but still it's something you know WASN'T trying to kill you.

Lord Elcorion

"i can't hear anything at this door, but that may not count for much" i move to rejoin the rest of the group, lineing up an eldritch blast modified with the brimstone essance to light all the torches along one wall in a single fell swoop. ((you can start using my charecters name in reference now, since i posted it publicly. she still hasn't told any of the party members what it is though))

Glitch Girl

The room glows with newly lit torchlight.  It doesn't improve the surroundings much: it's still ominous looking in the stone chamber.

Anya tells Orloid "Step back," and she tries to open the door.

|