• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Play by Post D&D: The New Begining

Started by Glitch Girl, July 11, 2007, 04:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Viking

Go ahead and put Starbuck on watch #4.  It would probably be a good idea for an additional person to keep watch with him, but at least we now have all the watches covered.

Before everyone settles in for the night, Starbuck seeks out Nathan to ask a question.

"Pardon me, Nathan, but I've noticed that you always manage to get a restful night's sleep, despite all distractions.  How do you accomplish this?"

Glitch Girl

"Back at temple when I was just starting my training, Father Franklin had... been blessed with mighty lungs," Nathan says diplomatically, "After a few years, you got used to it.  Though sometimes this helps."

He pulls out a rolled beeswax candle.  Part of it has been unwound and the edges show signs of being pinched off.  "Something one of the other students taught me," he explains.  "When things get too loud, just pinch off a bit as you need it" he gestures towards his ears.  "Though I haven't used it in some time, I keep it around just in case.  Do you need it?"

All right, watches:
1) Orloid
2) Daniel
3) Whisper
4) Starbuck

Unless someone is doing something special before bed, I'll let you know what you each see on your watch.

BlueBard

"I am by nature a light sleeper," Whisper says.  He gestures toward Nathan's beeswax.  "If you would be so kind, I would appreciate if I could avail myself of your supply of beeswax.  I will try to locate more as we journey."

He waits for an opportunity to consult with Orloid privately, in Elvish:

[spoiler]"I am not quite ready to entrust my life to our young charge.  If you would kindly rouse me before you awaken him, I wish to cast a spell that will alert me if anything approaches during his watch."[/spoiler]

GM:
[spoiler]It is Whisper's intention to cast an Alarm spell (Ranger-1) before Daniel goes on watch.  This would be a mental alarm as opposed to an audible one, the spell description says that the mental alarm will waken the caster if asleep.  Of course if Orloid doesn't wake me up, I won't be able to do that.  What is his effective casting level for Ranger spells?[/spoiler]

Viking

Starbuck brightens at Nathan's charitable offer.

"I would be most indebted to you for the courtesy of borrowing your beeswax," he replies.

Lord Elcorion

Annia will find a spot where she can place her back to a tree, and go to sleep there. she'll also volunteer to assist starbuck on his watch if he wishes.

Uncle Yuan

To Whisper:

[spoiler]In Elvish:I've considered that.  But having saved his life at least three times now, I would hope that he is sufficiently indebted to us to trust us and treat us with honesty.  By a similar token, I would be loath to take any action that would demonstrably show that we, in turn, do not trust him.  Could you not set this spell before retiring?"[/spoiler]

BlueBard

To Orloid:
[spoiler]I cannot.  The spell will not last through the night.  I am not yet powerful enough.  That is why I suggested that you awaken me before you awaken him.  When the thief saves my life, or the life of one of our companions, then I will consider trusting him.[/spoiler]

Uncle Yuan

Whisper:[spoiler]I still think it disrespectful, although I understand your concern.  Very well.[/spoiler]

BlueBard

Whisper nods with satisfaction.  It's all he can hope for... and he hopes that it turns out to be completely unnecessary.  Whisper begins making his preparations to turn in for the night.

Glitch Girl

[sorry, longer pause than expected]

The afterglow of the sunset slowly fades as your little group prepares for night.  Soon the "gentle rumblings of Og's slumber shake through the campsight, but are remedied with a quick prod or two.

The watches:

Orloid
[spoiler]It's quiet.  You can make out the faint glow of Staurton from where you are, even over their walls.  You can also make out some small lights of possibly campfires up in the mountains and near the base. Could be those tribes you heard about.  You can make out at least a dozen concentrations.

It's a dull watch thankfully.  When the time comes, do you wake Whisper and then Daniel?[/spoiler]

Uncle Yuan

Ah, that's a good idea - let Whisper take care of his thing, then I'll go wake Daniel.

As Daniel settles into his watch I'll take care of my evening prayers then turn in.

BlueBard

GM:
[spoiler]Whisper casts the 1st level Ranger spell Alarm, centered on the campfire, mental alert, password is Greendeep (in Elven).  I share the password only with Orloid, then go back to sleep.[/spoiler]

Orloid: (in Elven)
[spoiler]"The spell is cast.  The password is Greendeep, should you need to leave the camp and approach again."[/spoiler]

|