• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

FPS and RAM

Started by Lunarman, June 06, 2007, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunarman

Right this is a crosspost from GWguru but I thought I'd ask here too seeing as all you game buffs know about this kind of thing. Well here you go:

QuoteI've been asking around and I'm concerned about the FPS I'm getting in GW.

Normally I run around 10-18 FPS but I've been as low as 6. Even with all my graphics at min I can't get up past 25 at idle. I've heard 50-60 is normal...

So, my system specs

I've got a 2ghz single core processor with a Radeon X1300 graphics card (256mb)
I've also got 2gb of ram (supposedly).

My RAM issue is odd, in my computer I've got 2 512mb sticks. And I have 2000mb of virtual ram (set in Control Panel). That should be 3gb right? I've downloaded a RAM monitoring tool called FreeRAM XP and it monitors my ram usage. Most of the time I only have 550mb free. Surely I can't be using 2.5gb or ram when my processor is idle? Therefore I've drawn the conclusion that either my RAM sticks arn't working, or my virtual memory isn't working or FreeRAM simply doesn't register the virtual memory. Any ideas on this? Can I check exactly how much RAM my computer has access too, including Virtual memory.

I don't even know if RAM will affect the frame rate.

Oddly enough I have 40-50 FPS when I play WoW but other 'newish' 3D games such as AoE and KOTORII have FPSs around 20 again.

Summery:
So, what FPS do you get normally?
What are your graphics set to?
Have you set your graphics through GW or your graphics card directly?
Can I find out how much RAM I have in total?
Will RAM even help FPS?

Thankyou very much

Your local Earth Ele

Mazey/Lunarman

GogglesPizanno

If I remember this stuff correctly....

If you've got two 512 sticks, you have 1GB of Ram.

The 2GB of "virtual Ram" is using the Hard Disk and shouldn't be counted as Ram at all.
Virtual Ram is slower than Molasses Frozen under an Arctic Tundra.
Virtual Ram and any kind of application requires fast memory access do not work at all as the added memory is just continual reads and writes to the HD.

I dont know if enabling the Virtual Ram will cause the game to actively use it in conjuntion with physical ram or wait until the physical ram is in use. You might try turning off the virtual ram to see if performance improves.

However, the issue is more than likely the video card.
I have read on other places that the ATI X1300 cards can be notoriously bad with some games.
And if some games work fine, and others don't the card and/or drivers sound like the likely culprit.