• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

how to multiplayer..?

Started by wizhack, November 03, 2007, 04:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizhack

hi to all, heroes and villains  ;)
i have freedom force and freedom force vs the 3° reich..
for the second there's no problem for playing online.. but for the first i have not a gamespy account..
becouse it cost money.. so i ask you: exist another way to play online whit freedom force (1) ?

Previsionary

gamespy accounts are free subscribing to them costs money. The only other way to play FF and FFVTTR is over lan/IP address. It doesn't really matter though, very few people play multiplayer anymore. When I say very few...I mean...almost no one.

wizhack

oh, lol thankyou..
but i have tried to play whit my friend whit lan/ip.. but not work.. it need gamspy or i wrong something?

Lunarman

I think it's broken. Very few people have ever got multiplayed to work correctly, always some firewall or bug prevents other players game from showing up.

wizhack

oh, what a pity..  :(  :(  :(  :(

Previsionary

Quote from: Lunarman on November 04, 2007, 12:59:47 AM
I think it's broken. Very few people have ever got multiplayed to work correctly, always some firewall or bug prevents other players game from showing up.

Gruh? It's obvious you weren't really around when FF1 was actually active and had multiplayer games up all the time. It worked fine if people knew if their computers could actually host a game (firewalls, routers, etc. caused problems that could be bypassed) and could find a person with a good ping to play with.

FFVTTR is a different story because you can't really set it up like you could in gamespy so some of the bypassing methods are moot there. FFVTTR is also region coded so US players cant play with UK players and so on which really hurt multiplayer.

stumpy

I agree. Don't give up hope. There were people who got it to work, both over the internet and for local LAN play. The problem is that this forum (FR) was never really where they hung out. Most of the multiplayer discussion was over at the freedomfans.com forums, which are no more.

Anyway, I never played MP myself, but a fair number of people did. The issue is that everyone's networking setup is a little different and that can make things finicky. Some people had it pretty much work out of the box and others had to tweak things a bit. I recall that there were a couple of ports that had to be unblocked from firewalls and maybe another setting or two with IP addresses, but it was doable. If you were actually going to try a LAN party at your house, I might start by disconnecting from the internet (just unplug the cable or phone line from your router), running a solid virus sweep on all the PCs, then turning off all of their firewall and antivirus software, and then trying to get an MP session going. Most routers have firewall settings as well...

wizhack

hug.. that's so long work.. and if i use a program that make a virtual lan connection, like Hamachi?
ps: someone know what ports must to be unlocked?