• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

How do you make your Marvel or DC hero files?

Started by Outcast, August 10, 2007, 08:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outcast

Hello guys,

Just wondering how you guys create your Marvel and DC hero files. I mean what references do you use? To determine a character's strength,speed,agility,endurance,energy and powers. Is there a good website other than Marvel Universe? For me, I use the Marvel Heroes RPG books from TSR. They got almost everyone there complete with stats and details of the strength of their powers. :rolleyes: Usually I kinda follow alex's guide in hero making, limiting them as much as possible up to 11,000 CP unless of course they are like Superman or Hulk. Then lots of simulation tests are done in the danger room. :P Anyway, just curious as to how you guys do it. ^_^

Panther_Gunn

I find the Marvel Heroes stats to be *extremely* useful, as they're usually fairly balanced with each other, and it's fairly easily convertable, stat-wise, to FF.  I wish the old DC game converted as easily (and more helpful/descriptive about powers  :angry: ).  Luckily, there are people who have done some DC to Marvel conversions online, to make it a bit easier.  It all needs a little more balancing afterwards, but it's at least a very solid starting point.

Outcast

I agree Panther, there isnt much stats reference for the DC Universe online compared to Marvel. But I know the site you must be referring to, of which some DC characters stats were converted for the Marvel Heroes RPG game. http://www.classicmarvel.com/cast_list/dc_only.html  :)
I guess most people would rather copy/download hero files already made rather try and make one from scratch. :P

USAgent

-First I do a general search of the chararacter on Yahoo and gather up all the main sites that have info on them and make a base hero file off them. I like to find RPG stats for them so I can get the type and amount of damage as close as I can plus I can get a idea of the name of the attacks, but if I dont find any, I take a best guess.
-Then I do a search of what comic issues those characters were in and actually download that issue (which I dont condone) After reading some issues I get a better idea of the amount of damage attacks should be plus seeing them in action I can pick a FX that best matches their attacks in the comic.
-then I take them in the danger room and pit them against characters who they were fighting with in the comics and tweek them until I'm happy.

sweeten2213

Just a cut and paste from another thread :

You can download TMX's conversion chart -

http://www.geocities.com/taskmasterxff/

from the downloads section.  The chart can be a little complicated, but it has been my FF bible.  The charts will tell you what equals what (i.e. Amazing STR = 6 ).  The conversions are as accurate as they could be considering the incredible variance in comics (from a child to a God and everything in between) and everything is relative.  Once you get the hang of it, it's great.

Here's some RPG stat links, too :

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/maze/8681/archive2.html
http://www.angelfire.com/comics/benriely/

The Benriely site has alomost any character for both DC and Marvel and is my flagship site.

TaskMasterX

I use the Marvel RPG stats mostly and then use the stats in the Marvel Universe Master Edition as a backup or to tweak the character. If I need clarification on how someone uses their powers, I use the Marvel Chronology Project (http://www.chronologyproject.com) to find all the comic issues the character is in and review the comics. I use my conversion document to convert the stats. Then after that, I generate the AI files and load 'em in the Watch Mode Rumble Room and tweak the AI so they act more like the character.

For DC Characters, I use the classicmarvel.com site and also this one which has all the stats for the DC RPG:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/maze/8681/archive2.html
My conversion document also has DC RPG conversion to Marvel RPG.

Outcast

Thanks for the input guys! and very cool sites by the way. :D

Forgot that there was also a DC RPG made. ^_^ I don't know about the DC RPG stats though. Its seems more complicated compared to Marvel. Or maybe i am just not good with numbers. All i see are numbers. :wacko: I could see why Panther mentioned why it would be much harder to convert:banghead: Well, maybe a little research on the DC RPG could clear things up. ;)

sweeten2213

I might just be one of the leading salesmen for Taskmaster's conversion chart (other than TaskmasterX himself)  :thumbup:  It does get easier as you do quite few.  When converting DC characters, I usually use the Benriely site's stats (which is the one that is the most up to date) and cross reference the DC site if needed.  The character's seem to be be accurate and relative to one another that way.  It is time consuming, but worth it if your willing to put the time in.

Revenant

Quote from: Outcast on August 10, 2007, 11:33:26 PM
I agree Panther, there isnt much stats reference for the DC Universe online compared to Marvel. But I know the site you must be referring to, of which some DC characters stats were converted for the Marvel Heroes RPG game. http://www.classicmarvel.com/cast_list/dc_only.html  :)
I guess most people would rather copy/download hero files already made rather try and make one from scratch. :P

I tried that link but it didn't work, just took the l off and it works
http://www.classicmarvel.com/cast_list/dc_only.htm

Outcast

Quote from: Revenant on August 11, 2007, 03:37:04 PM

I tried that link but it didn't work, just took the l off and it works
http://www.classicmarvel.com/cast_list/dc_only.htm

Oops. My bad Rev.  :banghead: Thanks for correcting it. ^_^

Quote from: sweeten2213 on August 11, 2007, 04:17:55 AM
Just a cut and paste from another thread :

I believe I found the thread you were referring to.

In there I read about TaskMaster's conversion chart on determining the speed of a hero character.

Based on the Marvel RPG game, speed is determined by how strong the character's endurance is. It limits the characters speed into two groups. Excellent and below would be 2 areas. Remarkable and above can move 3 areas. I can see why Taskmaster would limit a normal hero's speed between normal (3) and fast (4). But comparing the speed stats of some heroes to those of the freedom force characters, i think this is a little bit questionable. I believe in the game, Liberty Lad and Sea Urchin have a high speed rating. Considering Liberty Lad is like the Bucky,Captain America's sidekick, I believe some Marvel Characters (not necessarily speedsters) can keep up with the speed of Liberty Lad and Sea Urchin. I don't think Liberty Lad is a speedster is he? And I was also thinking, wouldn't regular heroes be faster than the regular civilians running in panic? :P Would it be too much if the two categories of speed would be between fast(4) and very fast (5) instead? Then again, if the Hulk has a high endurance that would mean his speed is very fast. Although, he does leap quite a distance when you think about it. :blink: Hmmm. Does being a kid like Liberty Lad and Sea Urchin the reason behind their speed? Or is it their weight? :banghead:

In the game,I also kinda notice characters can't dodge beam attacks. Only projectile attacks have percentages for dodging. Does that mean spider-man and his spider sense are no match for Ironman's beam attacks? Hehehe.  ^_^ I believe spider-man is more capable of dodgin a beam or two.

sweeten2213

Good points.  I imagine Taskmaster would be the best to clarify his reasoning, but I would imagine part of the difficulty is the broad range and variety in the comic book world.  If you were only to rate, say, the bat-family and could use a range from one to ten, you could see a difference of one or two rating points in speed between certain characters.  Irrational only had to rate the characters in it's game.  If you have to rate the difference bewteen the thousands of characters in both DC and Marvel, it gets a little touchy.  If an infant is a 1 and someone who can run at the speed of light is a ten, it's hard to fit everyone else in between.  Another analogy... if you are measuring the acceleration rate of all muscle cars from the 70's on a scale from one to ten, you will see a difference between each one.  If you are measuring the speed of a snail as a 1 and the speed of a fighter jet (or faster) as a 10, all non-powered humans are going to fall in about the same range.  Hope that helps.
   As far as the dodge situation, I'm not really sure.  You're right that Spidey should be able to dodge beams, but I guess if it's not built in to the game to dodge beams, you're not going to able to dodge beams.

TaskMasterX

Sweeten kind of touched on the reasoning behind why the built-in FF characters don't quite match up to how I convert characters for DC and Marvel. You're kind of comparing apples and oranges when you compare the stats of the built-in characters to the Marvel/DC ones since the game was made to reflect low-to-medium powered characters. If you want to make Marvel and DC characters relative in power to the FF ones, it'd be impossible because the game wasn't made to simulate Superman or Hulk's Strength nor the Speed of Quicksilver and the Flash. All we can do is take the power levels we have in the game (with a little help from Scripting add-ons) and make a relative conversion system for converting the Marvel and DC Universes into the FF game. FF character stats won't be relative to the Marvel/DC ones because we're trying to fit all different levels of power (from kids and the elderly all the way up to Galactus and the Anti-Monitor) from the comics into the stats that we have to work with in the game. I hope that explains it well enough :)

sweeten2213

Thanks, TaskmasterX.  Sorry to bring you into this.  ;)

Outcast

Quote from: sweeten2213 on August 12, 2007, 10:18:48 AM
Irrational only had to rate the characters in it's game.  If you have to rate the difference bewteen the thousands of characters in both DC and Marvel, it gets a little touchy.  If an infant is a 1 and someone who can run at the speed of light is a ten, it's hard to fit everyone else in between.

Yes I agree,it would be really hard to fit everyone else in between. Though, I believe TaskMasterX was able to do it, by coming up with his own conversion system,using various references. I just thought his conversion system had taken into account,how the characters in the game were rated.  :P

Quote from: TaskMasterX on August 12, 2007, 11:19:17 AM
You're kind of comparing apples and oranges when you compare the stats of the built-in characters to the Marvel/DC ones since the game was made to reflect low-to-medium powered characters. If you want to make Marvel and DC characters relative in power to the FF ones, it'd be impossible because the game wasn't made to simulate Superman or Hulk's Strength nor the Speed of Quicksilver and the Flash.

I see. I guess I was kinda hoping you had some magic formula to compare the stats of the built in characters and the Marvel/DC ones. Just to make it more realistic when you use them against each other of course. :D But I can understand the difficulty in attempting such a task.  :wacko: Oh well, guess a very close simulation of what the characters can do is better than nothing at all. :)

As far as the dodge situation, I'm not really sure.  You're right that Spidey should be able to dodge beams, but I guess if it's not built in to the game to dodge beams, you're not going to able to dodge beams.

Couldn't I work around the dodging beams thing by using a passive defense? :D say a passive defense called Spider Sense, blocking all forms of range attacks? Hmmm, say 25% of the time? Think of the block as a successful dodge via spidersense if you will. :P Or would that be abusing it? ^_^  Hehehe.

sweeten2213

Yes, a low lowel passive defense is often the answer to stuff like that. 

TaskMasterX

Quote from: Outcast on August 13, 2007, 07:27:32 AM
Quote from: TaskMasterX on August 12, 2007, 11:19:17 AM
You're kind of comparing apples and oranges when you compare the stats of the built-in characters to the Marvel/DC ones since the game was made to reflect low-to-medium powered characters. If you want to make Marvel and DC characters relative in power to the FF ones, it'd be impossible because the game wasn't made to simulate Superman or Hulk's Strength nor the Speed of Quicksilver and the Flash.

I see. I guess I was kinda hoping you had some magic formula to compare the stats of the built in characters and the Marvel/DC ones. Just to make it more realistic when you use them against each other of course. :D But I can understand the difficulty in attempting such a task.  :wacko: Oh well, guess a very close simulation of what the characters can do is better than nothing at all. :)

I did convert all the Major FF characters into Marvel RPG stats. They're in a pdf on my Yahoo! group or site. You could always create an alternate version of the FF characters by creating a new hero file that uses the same mesh as the FF character but with stats that are relative to the Marvel/DC characters. For example, you could create a new Liberty Lad hero file using the Liberty Lad mesh and call the hero file something so you know it from the original Liberty Lad and use it in the RR against the Marvel and DC characters.

Quote from: Outcast on August 13, 2007, 07:27:32 AM

Couldn't I work around the dodging beams thing by using a passive defense? :D say a passive defense called Spider Sense, blocking all forms of range attacks? Hmmm, say 25% of the time? Think of the block as a successful dodge via spidersense if you will. :P Or would that be abusing it? ^_^  Hehehe.

What I used for my "Good Luck" power for Longshot is make a Passive Defense that is Pass Thru and set the animation to a dodge animation. You could use the same thing for Spidey.

USAgent

Quote from: TaskMasterX on August 13, 2007, 09:57:49 AM
What I used for my "Good Luck" power for Longshot is make a Passive Defense that is Pass Thru and set the animation to a dodge animation. You could use the same thing for Spidey.
I've done that as well with characters like that and characters that have precognition (sp?) powers. But I just dont like the fact that they turn transparent when the "pass through" passive defense activates.
But on that note I do remember being able to change the attack balloon from "blocked" or whatever to "dodge" if someone wants to go that route, but I think it will effect all the characters that have a passive defense set to "block".

USAgent

Thanks IPS, that was a easy one that I should of known, I guess I've never choosen "no effect". 

Outcast

I did convert all the Major FF characters into Marvel RPG stats. They're in a pdf on my Yahoo! group or site. You could always create an alternate version of the FF characters by creating a new hero file that uses the same mesh as the FF character but with stats that are relative to the Marvel/DC characters. For example, you could create a new Liberty Lad hero file using the Liberty Lad mesh and call the hero file something so you know it from the original Liberty Lad and use it in the RR against the Marvel and DC characters.

Yeah,i suppose i could do it that way. Thanks TaskMasterX. By the way,checked the pdf file on your yahoo group site. It's really cool how you converted the FF characters into Marvel RPG stats and all. Just wondering though, how you knew what their stats were. Did you got it from a website or just calculated them on your own. I mean the Fighting ability of the different characters alone is not that easy to determine right? :huh: Not to mention Intuition. ^_^

Quote from: USAgent on August 13, 2007, 01:24:19 PM
I've done that as well with characters like that and characters that have precognition (sp?) powers. But I just dont like the fact that they turn transparent when the "pass through" passive defense activates.
But on that note I do remember being able to change the attack balloon from "blocked" or whatever to "dodge" if someone wants to go that route, but I think it will effect all the characters that have a passive defense set to "block".

Quote from: ips on August 13, 2007, 02:25:34 PM
change the fx to none and they won't become transparent anymore.

Cool.  :cool: New animation and effects! I'm not sure,but are you guys talking about FFX 3.2? I've read about it in some other threads, it's supposed to provide additional powers and attributes.Are there still bugs in FFX 3.2 that have yet to be fixed? :unsure:

EDIT: Checked out the thread on FFX 3.2 bug reports. Seems it still has some problems. ^_^

USAgent

There might be some small minor bugs in FFX3.2, but it is so miniscule compared to the enormous, gigantis amount of new content brought to the game, if you havnt downloaded it yet, you are missing one of the most essential add-ons to FF ever.  There will probably always be small bugs to work out no matter what version gets released, but that does not mean there are actually any problems.

LOL, I didnt know there were anyone still playing FF without FFX.

Outcast

Quote from: USAgent on August 14, 2007, 02:20:10 PM
There might be some small minor bugs in FFX3.2, but it is so miniscule compared to the enormous, gigantis amount of new content brought to the game, if you havnt downloaded it yet, you are missing one of the most essential add-ons to FF ever.  There will probably always be small bugs to work out no matter what version gets released, but that does not mean there are actually any problems.

LOL, I didnt know there were anyone still playing FF without FFX.

Thanks for the feedback USAgent. Its been a long while since i played FF really, it was only recently that i learned how to install customs skins and meshes.Took me a while too to learn how to do some basic skinning. :mellow: Seeing that the other websites were closed down/shut down or otherwise long since updated i thought there weren't any people left interested in the game. But when i discovered this forum, I was really surprised how many people are still playing  :ff: / :ffvstr: .  :) Since you put it that way..."enormous,gigantis amount of new content" eh. I'm really tempted to give it a try. ^_^ Thanks again.

EDIT: Alex's Freedom Fortress  site mentions FFX squared v2.6 for  :ff: and  FFX 3.2 for  :ffvstr: So that does mean FFX 3.2 won't work for  :ff: ? :o

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Outcast on August 14, 2007, 05:41:16 PMEDIT: Alex's Freedom Fortress  site mentions FFX squared v2.6 for  :ff: and  FFX 3.2 for  :ffvstr: So that does mean FFX 3.2 won't work for  :ff: ? :o

That is correct.  FFX up to 2.X is for  :ff:, while FFX 3 & up (once it reaches numbers beyond 3) are for  :ffvstr:.  Mixing & matching will, at best, not work.  At worst, it might go 'splodie!  :P

Outcast

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on August 15, 2007, 10:28:17 AM
That is correct.  FFX up to 2.X is for  :ff:, while FFX 3 & up (once it reaches numbers beyond 3) are for  :ffvstr:.  Mixing & matching will, at best, not work.  At worst, it might go 'splodie!  :P

Thanks Panther! Almost tried using ffx 3.2 on  :ff:  :doh: Now trying ffx 2.6 but i guess that belongs to a different thread. Thanks again for the info. ^_^

Anybody else has a different way of incorporating Marvel and DC characters into  :ff: or  :ffvstr: please feel free to share your ideas. :) Thanks.