• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Dungeons & Dragons Heroes

Started by joemama, February 28, 2007, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemama

Hey kids,

My AD&D freeroam is moving (slowly) along, and I'm putting together my playable/recruitable characters.  My original idea was to make each combo a set of skills you get for advancing in levels. For example, a level 1 fighter combo might be <claws, armored, resilient>, while level 2 would be <blitzkrieg, invulnerables(5 hp), heroic>.  That said, I'm looking for suggestions for attributes (combo and otherwise) for the character classes listed below.  Here's what I've got so far:

[spoiler]Thief:
base - nimble, ropeswinger, utility belt, timid, danger sense
lvl1 - disguise, prowler
lvl2 - chameleon, weapons master, heroic
lvl3 -  ???

Wizard:
base - spellcaster, illusionist, bulk teleporter, flier, weakspot, light speed
lvl1 - desesperate, energy tanks,  super TK, four dimensional
lvl2 - Metamorphic, environmental control (full), heroic, group teleporter
lvl3 - Summoner (grade 3), body aura, transmutator

Sorcerer:
base - light speed, flame control, limited flight,  ephemeral, heroic, timid
lvl1 - spellcaster, disciplined, earth control, ice control, inner reserves,
lvl2 -  thunderclap, unstoppable, desesperate, heroic, illusionist
lvl3 - megablast, energy tanks

Necromancer:
base - puppetmaster (nature & urban), levitate, bedeviled
lvl1 - summoner (grade 2), defence mechanism (energy through pain), energy tanks, transmutator
lvl2 - summoner (grade 3), environmental control (local), heroic
lvl3 - summoner (grade 4), inner being (demon)

Cleric:
base - unbeliever, enchanter (grade 1), presence, heroic, cosmic awareness, weak minded
lvl1 - enchanter (grade 2), environmental control (local), toxic (to undead)
lvl2 - angelic ally, enchanter (grade 3), invulnerable (5pts), super heroic
lvl3 - divine intervention, defence mechanism (createLightningStorm), weather control

Fighter
base - grim resolve, invulnerable (5 pts), rooted, heroic, wall climbing
lvl1 - fearless, resilient, presence, heavy lifter, shake it off
lvl2 - defence mechanism (strength through pain), invulnerable (10 pts), tough guy
lvl3 - super heroic

Barbarian
base - iron jaw, fearless, berserker, jumping jack, heroic, tracking
lvl1 - invulnerable (2pts), summoner (grade 1), heavy lifter, tough guy
lvl2 - super heroic, presence, shake it off
lvl3 - invulnerable (5 pts), shapeshifter

Monk
base - level headed, gymnast, invulnerable (2 pts), heroic, lesser regeneration, shake it off, rapid metabolism
lvl1 - defence mechanism (energy through pain), unstoppable, telekinetic
lvl2 - illusionist, invulnerable (5pts), four dimensional, weapons master
lvl3 - energy shield (passive), energy tanks, super heroic[/spoiler]

I'm open to new ideas, tweaks, suggestions, or anything else you can think of (monsters too!).

Also, does anyone know if giving a character all grades of "enchanter" or "summoner" will cause headaches?

Thanks in advance.

JM

detourne_me

i believe its ok giving a character all grades of summoner... ive done the same with private army,

on  a side note though....   wow! the prestige costs for these characters must be sky high!!  i really hope characters like the thief and fighter are balanced with the uber(in my opionion) characters like necromancer and mage.   maybe make the magical characters more like glass cannons where their hit points are quite low...

i'm really excited to play this mod,  you have no idea.  i'm assuming youre going to make full use of Valandar's sweet meshes like the Valkyrie and Dragon (and of course trhe orcs :)

stumpy

Speaking of which, you might consider PRIVATE ARMY to simulate followers and men at arms for the appropriate classes. Also, clerics and maybe the brawlers (fighters and barbarians) might hae a rally power...

BTW, all these guys look pretty uber to me, but whether they are unbalanced will depend somewhat on the powers and stats and what their opponents looks like. For example a fighter with several melee attacks and a ranged (bow or spear) attack starts looking pretty good. Especially if the wizards have moderate energy and their powers cost 66 or 100 EP for the decent attacks.

But, I have to agree that any base character with a teleportation power, spellcasting, flight, LIGHTSPEED (and presumably a beam attack), etc. is pretty gruesome. Of course, I haven't played AD&D since the paper-and-pencil days when we had to carve our own dice out of dinosaur bones and sacrifice Jolt Cola to a guy name "Gary" up in Wisconsin before important rolls. Back then a wizard couldn't fly until 5th level, and then only for short periods (GLIDER?), and teleport wasn't availble until 9th. It just seems like most of the other classes are starting out at what I might think of as AD&D level 5 or so and maybe going up 2-3 AD&D levels per level here whereas the wizards are starting at 10 and going up 3-4 AD&D levels per level here.

Volsung

What about weapons?
I always wondered if by modding someone could simulate that.

When a strong character wield a streetlight or a traffic light,
he uses some precise animations ("with pole")

Is  it possible to assign specific animations to 'wieldable' objects?
(objects like: Staff,sword,spear, Halberd,...)

joemama

Thanks for the advice,

Yes.  They are quite uber, which means I need to start culling powers (part of my hang up!).  They will be scaled to compare with their opponents, but I don't want them to be too easy/tough!

Part of the problem is the number of attribute slots.  I have to use two slots for base attributes (one for a non-combo attribute), and the others will be for advancing, which means I have to cover 3-5 experience levels with one combo set.  This means each combo set will be very large (even after I give the volume discount).  This also means that characters can't level-up after every mission; they're gonna have to do some work.  This also means you are limited in how many characters you can recruit (there's only so much prestige to go around).

Another hang up I'm having is that freeroam is only 1 character (I'm using EZ Script).  I tried changing it to two for M25's example, and the second character kept spawning on each new map (after 2 maps, I had four playable heroes!).  I'm getting around this setting up a "Mercenary's Guild" where players can "recruit" NPCs to help on missions (using the Campaign: Alliance encounter).  M25 suggested these NPCs will spawn as set up in FFedit: If I give them 2 starting attributes, they come in with two starting attributes.  I hope so, as I would hate to recruit a full power wizard for one of the first missions: orc bashing!  Just had a thought: I could use "Upgradable" to "create" up to 8 levels of experience...(hmmmmmm)

JM

PS--Detourne: I'm doing this just to see how much I can do with EZ Script.  I hadn't planned on releasing anything (other than a few maps), and my characters and other stuff are so completely kit and skope bashed that I'm not even sure where they all came from  :o.  I don't even want to think about tracking everybody down for permission (especially the ones who are no longer around).  Still, I should finish in about a month or so (thank you EZ Script!), so I'll have to see how messy it is before I even think about a release (it may only be original, linked maps and the stories themselves).

PPS--Volsung: I was writing this as you posted.  I'm using the NPI Weapons pack (polearms), available here:  http://newpowerinc.com/meshworks/valandar/val_mod_goodies.htm.  They're sweet!

detourne_me

well this is a really cool project your taking on,  and i think i'm going to have to pester you once i resume building my batman freeroam (i started it back when patcity cvame out,  but have since switched computers, jobs, and other things...

about the weapons...  all with the weapon master attribute... you could set it up so that the different animations are used for the weapon attacks... and as an added coolness factor if you pick up a weapon that is part of the map or laying around (that is built out of the same template as the weapon master attribute) the character will have the same attacks,keyframes, etc associated with said weapon.  (again i was using this in the batman mod i was trying,   for restocking batarangs)

Lunarman

Revenant

Sounds like an awesome idea!  You have totally captured the character classes. 

One criticism would be to have the thief start out with wall-crawler, rather than ropeswinger.

Can't wait to try this out!!

Blitzgott

A Dungeons & Dragons mod? That's something to look forward to.

I wish I could help with the combos, but my knowledge of D&D is way too sparse to be useful, so I won't be giving any suggestions.

Anyway, all the power to you!

Revenant

How about different races, i.e. Elf, Dwarf, Halfling?  Would that just entail a different mesh /skin choice?  You could also probly do something with meshes involving alphas, and add pointy ears for the elves that would just be a different skin.

joemama

Thanks again for everybody's inpt, and please keep it coming.  I think the upgradable attribute will help balance out those early level powers.

In terms of races, I'm using strength, agility, speed, etc. to differentiate.  Right now, I only have humans, dwarves, elves as recruitable characters.  I don't plan on adding more because this project is already big enough! 

That said, I've been at it, off and on, for about six weeks and I think I'm about 60-70% complete.  Unfortunately, I have maps and skins that are several years old and have undergone multiple kitbashes (I don't even know where I got some of the originals, and couldn't properly credit the authors, much less contact them for permission).  That said, a public release is still very far off, as I would have to replace most of the skins and meshes I've messed with over the years.

Revenant

you realize that you have an excited hoard of D&D players chomping at the bit to play this, don'tcha!??

*Casts spell of Haste*

joemama

So here are my revised character classes.  Keep in mind they will also have specific attacks/defenses unique to their abilities.  Multiple attributes will be combo'd as needed.

I've incorporated the "upgradable" function to simulate more levels and added a few more weaknesses - particularly for the spell casters - just to keep it interesting (couldn't resist a "mad" wizard or a master thief whose always hounded by his/her nemesis: the cops).

As always, suggestions are requested and welcome.

[spoiler]Thief - burgler
base - nimble (200), timid (-300), nocturnal (100), wall climbing (200), loner (75), utility belt (400)
lvl1 - danger sense (300)
lvl2 - superleaper (400), clumsy jumper (200)
lvl3 - upgradable (?)

Thief - master thief:
lvl4 - gymnast(850), ropeswinger (650), weakspot (-500), glass jaw (-200)
lvl5 - disguise (500)
lvl6 - weapons master (600),
lvl7 - speed force (500), jinx (200)
lvl8 - chameleon (2000), nemesis-[constable] (-2000), private army-[brigands] (1000)

Wizard - enchanter
base - illusionist (500), bedeviled (-300), light speed (250), telekinetic (500)
lvl1 - transmutator (600)
lvl2 - weightless flier (800)
lvl3 - upgradable

Wizard - archmage
lvl4 - gaseous form (1000), living laser (1000), ephemeral (-750),  hollow bones (-200)
lvl5 - flier (1100)
lvl6 - super tk (1500) 
lvl7 - energy sheild-[passive] (1250)
lvl8 - Summoner-[grade 3] (2000), mad (-400)

Sorcerer - apprentice
base - ice control (400), hollow bones (-200), megablast (600),
lvl1 - thunderclap (600), 
lvl2 - environmental control (local) (500), basic levitation (500)
lvl3 - upgradable

Sorcerer - warlock
lvl4 - spellcaster (2000), ephemeral (-750)
lvl5 - flame control (1000)
lvl6 - lievitation (750)
lvl7 - environmental control (full) (1000)
lvl8 - body aura (2000), timid (-300)

Necromancer - occultist
base - puppetmaster-nature (750) bedeviled (-300)
lvl1 - angelic ally (600)
lvl2 - summoner-[grade 1] (1000)
lvl3 - upgradable

Necromancer - hellraiser
lvl4 - puppetmaster-[nature & urban] (1500), timid (-300)
lvl5 - defence mechanism-[spawn allies] (800)
lvl7 - summoner-[grade2] (1500)
lvl8 - private-[grade 3] (2000), nemesis-[demon] (-2000), russian doll (1000)

Cleric - apostle
base - unbeliever (350), divine intervention (500), cosmic awareness (150), weak minded (-350)
lvl1 - heroic (900) 
lvl2 - toxic-undead (100), enchanter-grade 1 (1000)
lvl3 - upgradable

Cleric - holy warrior
lvl4 - blessed (350),  empathic (-500),  toxic-to undead (100), enchanter-[grade 2] (1000)
lvl5 - presence (300), angelic ally (600)
lvl6 - field commander (900)
lvl7 - weather control (1000)
lvl8 - super heroic (1750)

Fighter - man-at-arms
base - grim resolve (200), invulnerable-[02 hp] (400), rooted (300),grounded (-300), resilient (100)
lvl1 -  shake it off (300), clumsy jumper (200)
lvl2 -  heroic (900)
lvl3 -  upgradable

Fighter - warrior
lvl4 - invulnerable-[02 hp] (400), rooted (300) clumsy jumper (200), hate-filled: zoophobe (-125), grim resolve (200), resilient (100)
lvl5 - blitzkrieg (400)
lvl6 - invulnerable-[05 hp] (750)
lvl7 - fast healing (500), defence mechanism-[strength through pain] (800)
lvl8 - super heroic (1750)

Barbarian - tribesman
base - iron jaw (400), fearless (150), berserker (-125), clumsy jumper (200), tracking (50), heavy lifter (150)
lvl1 - inner reserves (600)
lvl2 - heroic (900)
lvl3 - upgradable

Barbarian - bezerker
lvl4 - clumsy jumper (200), super-leaper (400), bezerker (-125), fearless (150), iron jaw (400), heavy lifter (150)
lvl5 - blitzkrieg (400)
lvl6 - summoner-[grade 1] (1000)
lvl7 - defense mechanism-[strength through pain] (800), shake it off (300)
lvl8 - shapeshifter (1000), heroic (900)

Monk - grasshopper
base - gymnast (850), shake it off (300), weakspot (-500), dispassionate (150)
lvl1 - blitzkrieg (400)
lvl2 - heroic (900)
lvl3 - upgradable

Monk - old blind dude
lvl4 - desesperate (175), energy tanks (100), gymnast (850), disciplined (350), weakspot (-500), dispassionate (150)
lvl5 - blitzkrieg (400)
lvl6 - weapons master (600)
lvl7 - defence mechanism-[energy through pain] (800)
lvl8 - invulnerable-[05 hp] (750), speed force (500)[/spoiler]

Thanks again for the input.

JM

PS
Quoteyou realize that you have an excited hoard of D&D players chomping at the bit to play this, don'tcha!??
--at least there's no pressure :P

Revenant

;)  No pressure!  :thumbup:

quiet

What about rangers?  you could take advantage of the variety of archer themed meshes and make a nice ranger class.  Attributes could be something along these lines:

base: tracking, crack shot, wall climbing, loner
lvl 1: invulnerable (02 hp), summoner 1
lvl 2: field commander, blitzkreig
lvl 3: heroic
lvl 4: insert good idea here

also i would use the idea of the basic edition rules and have elves, dwrves etc be their own class and have their own powers and attributes.  Also I just geeked out. :)

Blitzgott

Quote from: quiet on March 06, 2007, 03:43:49 PM
What about rangers?  you could take advantage of the variety of archer themed meshes and make a nice ranger class.

I second that. You can't put elves in a game if they can't be archers. It's madness! =O

And yeah, it would be cool if each race had an (or some) specific(s) attribute(s) instead of just different stats. Elves could have nimble or beautiful regardless of the class they choose; dwarves could have tough guy or resillient, and humans could start with fast learner.

jmoser

You've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into this, and I'm not looking to pick a fight or anything, but if you want to play Dungeons and Dragons, aren't there about a thousand D&D computer games on the market?  I ask only because I'm curious--why take a superhero-themed game and try to tweak it for a fantasy RPG?

joemama

QuoteYou've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into this, and I'm not looking to pick a fight or anything, but if you want to play Dungeons and Dragons, aren't there about a thousand D&D computer games on the market?  I ask only because I'm curious--why take a superhero-themed game and try to tweak it for a fantasy RPG?

"[It] tasks me."

-Khan Noonien Singh, stardate 8130.4
:P

Volsung

QuoteI ask only because I'm curious--why take a superhero-themed game and try to tweak it for a fantasy RPG?
Because there's a difference between Theme and Gameplay.
FFVTTR is too much powerfull to be restrained to his own theme. :wub:

Kaede

well i'm a huge D&D fan... really i am...  :thumbup:
i was like thinking of skoping meshes and skinning them for my liking to have a set of D&D characters...
just tell me if you need anything about skoping meshes, and i'll be glad to help... but i'm still not much of a skinner though, still learning some techniques from peeps here...  :P

BatWing

wow
this is huge joemama just huge! :thumbup:

catwhowalksbyhimself

THREAD LICH ALERT!

The undead should not be allowed to roam the earth, and Joemamma has not posted a thing in this thread since March.

UnkoMan

Quote from: Volsung on August 17, 2007, 01:49:12 AM
FFVTTR is too much powerfull to be restrained to his own theme. :wub:

Which is why somebody requested those Silent Hill meshes however long ago... only to be shot down.

Oh, did I just post in this? No, I didn't. Nothing to see here.

Volsung

I'll try to not wander from the topic.Joemama doesn't want his thread to change in a debate.

I was the first to shot down the silent hill request.
Because^^ "there's a difference between Theme and Gameplay."
If FF great gameplay can fit to many universe or context, all the universe or context can't fit to FF gameplay ^^

Leading a squad, pummeling ennemies in limitless ways, destroy/protect some target , there's tons of universe/context that fit those purpose.
Dungeons & Dragons is one of them.

Pyramid heads, Brookhaven nurses are not simple zombies that you burst with a rocket launcher (or an adamantium shield^^) I'm a huge Silent Hill fan and , in my opinion, his atmosphere is too dark, mature and disturbing to be reduced to a strategic beat them all.

Sorry Joemama^^

catwhowalksbyhimself

That's what I tried to say, but some people just can't get a hint.

As I said before, Joemamma hasn't posted to, or probably even read, this thread in 5 months.  That's almost half a year.  There's no point replying to it any further, unless Joemamma should return.

Revenant

Lunarman

brilliant Rev :)

Freedom Asylem Down?

Boalt92

Who'd have thought a dead post would see so much life :D

I don't think Joemama has posted anywhere (much less this thread) in a while, so the conversion is likely in mod limbo along with all the other great ideas that never were.

Personally, I agree with an earlier post...sure D&D on FF is doable (there are already a lot of meshes to use), but why bother when Neverwinter Nights is just as fun and also easy to mod?

(sorry Joemama)

B92

Revenant

Quote from: Lunarman on August 20, 2007, 09:51:38 AM
brilliant Rev :)

Freedom Asylem Down?

:P
Syn was having troubles with the host, it should be back soon.

Previsionary

this thread is bananas...what a sec...freedom asylum is down?