• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

changing sounds when a character walks

Started by skeek420, August 18, 2008, 12:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeek420

a few questions, was hoping maybe this stuff could be done without being much more complicated than adding/changing things in FF edit, so here goes:

1. meshes that hover instead of walk (jean grey, magneto), is there a way to make it so they do not make the footstep sounds?

2. in the case of something like ghost rider on his bike, could u somehow "exchange" the footsteps w/ a custom sound?

3. this mite be off topic, but the green_goblin_tv mesh, how come he can't "walk," like the other goblin_tv meshes?

ow_tiobe_sb

It's my understanding that the sounds footsteps make are governed by the surface material settings (e.g., dirt, metal, etc.) in a particular map and not by the meshes themselves.  The problem is that, if you changed these settings, they would change for all meshes crossing those surfaces and not just one mesh (e.g., a floating character or a motorcycle-riding character) in particular.  Of course, there may be another way to accomplish what you have requested (perhaps via FFEdit).  As far as the green_goblin_tv mesh is concerned, you should probably direct that question to tommyboy.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

tommyboy

Quote from: skeek420 on August 18, 2008, 12:42:24 PM

3. this mite be off topic, but the green_goblin_tv mesh, how come he can't "walk," like the other goblin_tv meshes?

I just checked and there seems to be a 'walk' animation in the version I have installed, so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

stumpy

I am far from a sounds expert but, for the walking, take a look at the FFEdit sounds documentation ../Help/FFEdit/sound.htm in your base game folder. I think you can have custom movement sounds for characters, like Man-Bot does when he walks by naming the sounds correctly. It is when the sound system doesn't find those custom sounds that it defaults to the material-on-material sounds. Presumably, if you create (copy) a blank sound and give it the right name, the game will use it when your character is hovering. Same deal with your guy on a bike.

Panther_Gunn

I remember changing the footfall sounds for some of my heavier characters, but don't have that info off the top of my head.  If no one's answered this by Tuesday evening, I'll try to dig it up for some specific steps (pun almost intentional) to follow.

skeek420

thanx for the replies everyone, i didnt really look into it yet, but it looks like stumpy's reply should work for my problem.

tommy, im not sure if i explained it rite, but GG's walk animation, he is still on his glider, he only actually "walks" if he's carrying an object. LOVE these meshes tho, made my day wen i started playin FF again and found hobby and demo were made :D

Lunarman

I'm pretty sure it's linked to voicepacks in someway. I think given a character Manbot's voice gives him the sound of MB's footsteps also.

Previsionary

Lunar is partially correct. The FFEdit manual expands on this so you should check it out.

Quote from:  FFedit manual excerpt

Sounds which are associated with character movement such as walking, jumping and flying.

This is the most complex naming convention in the game, firstly because movement is quite complex with lots of different sound events that can be triggered, and secondly because movement sounds are sensitive to the terrain type or object underneath the character while they move.

When movement sounds are generated, each schema is tried in the order presented here, the first schema name found that matches a sound schema defined in FFEdit is the one that is played.

Naming convention:

1.                       move_[id]_[event]_[object]        (if standing on an object...)
2.                       move_[id]_[event]_[material]      (if standing on an object...)
3.                       move_[id]_[event]_[terrain]
4.                       move_[id]_[event]
5.                       move_any_[event]

id is the character speech id defined in FFEdit in the "Characters" panel. For example, manbot's id is "mb". Note all speech id's for sound schemas are lower case.

tommyboy

Quote from: skeek420 on August 18, 2008, 08:25:09 PM
thanx for the replies everyone, i didnt really look into it yet, but it looks like stumpy's reply should work for my problem.

tommy, im not sure if i explained it rite, but GG's walk animation, he is still on his glider, he only actually "walks" if he's carrying an object. LOVE these meshes tho, made my day wen i started playin FF again and found hobby and demo were made :D

What can be confusing is that the game uses the 'run' animation where you might expect 'walk'. Typically the only times a character will actually use 'walk' is if hypnotised or in a cutscene. Moving from a to b under player or AI control will use 'run'.
So yes, I had the goblin use his glider in his 'run' animations, as well as his 'fly' ones. The only way to change that would be to use m25's keyframe utility to rename 'run' to somthing else, copy his 'walk' rend rename the copy to 'run'.

skeek420

Quote from: Previsionary on August 18, 2008, 11:28:39 PM
Lunar is partially correct. The FFEdit manual expands on this so you should check it out.

yea, i had looked at that and it was very helpful, problem is, i never used voice paks! i guess the only way to do this would be finding voicepaks for everyone of my custom characters. i wonder, would i also have to add all of my characters in FF edit as well so they are 'built-in?'

Quote from: tommyboy on August 19, 2008, 02:33:45 AM
What can be confusing is that the game uses the 'run' animation where you might expect 'walk'. Typically the only times a character will actually use 'walk' is if hypnotised or in a cutscene. Moving from a to b under player or AI control will use 'run'.
So yes, I had the goblin use his glider in his 'run' animations, as well as his 'fly' ones. The only way to change that would be to use m25's keyframe utility to rename 'run' to somthing else, copy his 'walk' rend rename the copy to 'run'.

ohhh, i see, i didnt realize there were 'run' and 'walk' animations. thanx, i will most definitley be downloading keyframe utility, sounds like it would come in handy alot.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: skeek420 on August 19, 2008, 10:06:49 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on August 18, 2008, 11:28:39 PM

yea, i had looked at that and it was very helpful, problem is, i never used voice paks! i guess the only way to do this would be finding voicepaks for everyone of my custom characters. i wonder, would i also have to add all of my characters in FF edit as well so they are 'built-in?'

So, are all of your characters the strong, silent types?  ;)  I would say that you'd only need to find unique voice packs for those characters that you don't want to have the standard footfall sounds.  You won't need to add them to FFEdit to do this.  As an example, I have probably a good handful or so using the same voice ID (neutral male....for those heroes that don't have unique packs & don't really suggest anything else), and the standard sounds are fine for them.  Characters that are of other materials (stone, wood, metal, if I recall correctly) get non-standard footfall sounds, as well.  I have a couple of hero files that are much heavier than the average individual, and had to make the change for them, but they had unique voice packs they were using.  I'll take a look at how I did it this afternoon, & see if it will help you.

skeek420

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on August 19, 2008, 12:19:28 PM
So, are all of your characters the strong, silent types?

lol, yea...figured i wouldn't bother w/ voicepaks because it would be wierd if u had all these characters shouting taunts, grunts of pain when hit, etc. but then some just completely mute because i couldn't find sounds to match them  :huh: anyway, thanx for ur post, and that would be awesome if u do find anything else helpful  :)

so that being said, i really dont know anything about them, so is there a way to make 'blank' voicepaks for a few characters (as in it doesnt work at all, just there to provide an ID for character to use in FF edit)?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quoteso that being said, i really dont know anything about them, so is there a way to make 'blank' voicepaks for a few characters (as in it doesnt work at all, just there to provide an ID for character to use in FF edit)?

Yeah, just use the normal procedure for creating a voicepack, but don't have any actual sound files.  One sound event should be sufficient, and I'm not ever sure if you need that, just don't have it point to any real audio file.  The engine will just do nothing when it gets to that event.

skeek420

it works :thumbup: thanx 2 all of yas for the help! and thanx 2 cat as well, saved alot of time, as i didnt even need sounds/voicepaks to do it.