• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Fallout 3 is out!!!

Started by Verfall, June 05, 2007, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verfall

lugaru

Ron Pearlman voice: "War... uuuuh... what is it good for!?"

Im looking foward to Bethesdas game and HOPEFULLY it will bring back the Adults only rpg which I solely miss. With Toika gone games like VTM: Bloodlines are just a memory of better times when you where allowed to play trully amoral characters in a really messed up world.

General Jerky

I basically cried when I heard Pearlman's voice. I've been waiting for this game for about 10 years.

QuotePete Hines commented on the video at Voodoo Extreme:

1) Yes, that's in-engine (in-engine means it's done with game assets in our rendering engine, but isn't done real-time. If it was done in real-time, that'd be gameplay footage. This isn't something, for example, that was sent to some house [e.g. Blue Studios] so they could build assets and render it out, and create something for us to release [e.g. Dawn of War 40K intro cinematic]). 2) Yes, that's The Ink Spots singing "I Don't Want to Set the World On Fire" 3) Yes, that's Ron Perlman [voiceover man extraordinaire of Fallout 1 and 2

QuotePete Hines has graciously confirmed to DAC that the recording of Ron Perlman in the Fallout 3 Teaser Trailer is, in fact, brand new. He recorded it specifically for Bethesda.

From No Mutants Allowed.

Deaths Jester

It's really going to happen?!?!?!  Oh, mien gott, I think I can finally die now!!

General Jerky

Yes DJ it will. And it will be good.

On other Fallout 3 things, has anyone played the Van Buren tech demo?(Black Isle/Interplay's Fallout 3)

lugaru

Quote from: General Jerky on June 06, 2007, 08:37:10 AM

On other Fallout 3 things, has anyone played the Van Buren tech demo?(Black Isle/Interplay's Fallout 3)

I downloaded it and have it zipped but never played it, is it like executable? Have you played it?

About fallout finally happening, hey, it worked out for sam and Max after all these years, fallout deserves a good release too. Again, those of you who havent done the sam and Max games do so right now, it's the best value out there on game tap.

General Jerky

Quote from: lugaru on June 06, 2007, 03:08:57 PM
Quote from: General Jerky on June 06, 2007, 08:37:10 AM

I downloaded it and have it zipped but never played it, is it like executable? Have you played it?

About fallout finally happening, hey, it worked out for sam and Max after all these years, fallout deserves a good release too. Again, those of you who havent done the sam and Max games do so right now, it's the best value out there on game tap.
Yes I have. Its very buggy and alot of things dont work because well its a tech demo that was made for Black Isle/Interplay developers to work on. But from what I have done in it, it looks like it would of been a great game.

Carravaggio

Quote from: General Jerky on June 06, 2007, 08:34:14 AM
I basically cried when I heard Pearlman's voice. I've been waiting for this game for about 10 years.

I know how you feel, man. Fallout was the first game i ever played on PC and til this day nothing comes close. Except Fallout 2. I was told it was Patrick Stewart on the voice-over. I'm glad that was misinformation, no-one but Pearlman deserves that honour. I will buy this game the day it comes out at whatever price they set, take a week off work and live Fallout 3.

Sevenforce

OMG OMG OMG! *fangirly squeal

*collapses

*twitches

Actually, been keeping an eye on it since the forums went up, so its not that much of a surprise to me. Video rocks though, and will certainly entice the fanboys and newcomers alike. I mean, you know theres some people out there who don't know the Fallout series? Shocking :blink:

Xenolith

General Jerky

After reading info and see pictures I have.......0 faith in this game. I mean a nuclear catapult shot at a car's nuclear battery to kill 2 ants? W...T...H?

but on to good news....

Brian Fargo, producer of Wasteland, founder of Interplay and InXile, told Duck and Cover:

I am indeed looking into bringing back the game that spawned the Fallout series. Stay tuned....

JeyNyce

I really want to kick myself, because I saw Fallout 1 & 2 on sale for $9.99 and I didn't pick it up.  Now I can't find either game. :doh:

lugaru

BTW anybody else playing Stalker?  It has a great fallout vibe, it's totally about radiation, mutants, fire arms and scavenging. It lacks fallouts over the top humor but its still great.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI really want to kick myself, because I saw Fallout 1 & 2 on sale for $9.99 and I didn't pick it up.  Now I can't find either game. doh

Check Ebay.  I easily found several copies of 1, 2, and Tactics bundled on DVD for $15 plus about 5$ shipping.

lugaru

btw GFW has a really good podcast about fallout 3, here's what I remember in brief:

1) You have an editor to create your look, based on it that is what your father (voiced by Liam Neelson) looks like.
2) you learn the basics of WASD as a todler in a todler mini game, latter at the age of ten you learn shooting with a bb gun. Think of it as a spore approach to character development. An aptitude test at age 16 reveals your skills and specialties.
3) At age 19 you leave the vault (i.e. end the tutorial) and go in search of your dad. The world is supposed to be just as fun and full of options as fallout 1.
4) Scavenging is big, and keeping your weapons in working order usually means repairing them with the better parts you find lying around.
5) It is a first person shooter BUT you can spend action points to stop time and plan out actions, such as shoot a foe in a specific body part, each with a percentile difficulty. After doing so your action points replentish according to a stat.

So what do you guy's think, good news or bad? Im pretty happy myself, accepting it wont be the same 2d overhead game of course.

Swingman

QuoteSo what do you guy's think, good news or bad? Im pretty happy myself, accepting it wont be the same 2d overhead game of course.

Well, first of all I'm just happy to see they are finally making a Fallout 3. It certainly took a while, lets hope they don't drop this one as well.
I think the Fallout universe is one my all time favourite game universes of all time. It definitely made a huge impact on me back then and it still holds up. (It's only been half a year since I played through Fallout 2 again)

I'm kind of shredded in my view of things though, on hand I think the universe and concept is so good, something interesting must come out of it, on the other hand I'm really disappointed to learn it's going to be a first person shooter. Nothing wrong with first person shooters, I was just hoping they would have stayed just a little more true to the original strategic RPG style game. There's a lot of great first person shooters out there, not that many Fallout games. Why not let Fallout stay Fallout and FPS stay, well, the millions of titles that covers.

Carravaggio

Quote from: lugaru on July 08, 2007, 03:15:57 PM
btw GFW has a really good podcast about fallout 3, here's what I remember in brief:

1) You have an editor to create your look, based on it that is what your father (voiced by Liam Neelson) looks like.
2) you learn the basics of WASD as a todler in a todler mini game, latter at the age of ten you learn shooting with a bb gun. Think of it as a spore approach to character development. An aptitude test at age 16 reveals your skills and specialties.
3) At age 19 you leave the vault (i.e. end the tutorial) and go in search of your dad. The world is supposed to be just as fun and full of options as fallout 1.
4) Scavenging is big, and keeping your weapons in working order usually means repairing them with the better parts you find lying around.
5) It is a first person shooter BUT you can spend action points to stop time and plan out actions, such as shoot a foe in a specific body part, each with a percentile difficulty. After doing so your action points replentish according to a stat.

So what do you guy's think, good news or bad? Im pretty happy myself, accepting it wont be the same 2d overhead game of course.
Lugaru, you have single handedly tripled my already huge enthusiasm for this game with this post!

General Jerky

Meh. The targeting wont be worth it without groin and eye shots.

lugaru

Quote from: General Jerky on July 11, 2007, 03:59:11 AM
Meh. The targeting wont be worth it without groin and eye shots.

I fondly remember punching rats in the groin. And yeah, there's something very wrong with that.

General Jerky

^groin punching people is fun. :(

But this part made me grin when I read it

QuoteChris Remo, Shacknews: Taking a Vault-Tec lunchbox and filling it with bottle caps and explosives creates an improvised, but deadly, shrapnel bomb. (ref)

BentonGrey

I've gotta' say, I'm not too thrilled to hear that this is gonna' be a first person shooter....but I'll reserve judgment.

Swingman

QuoteI've gotta' say, I'm not too thrilled to hear that this is gonna' be a first person shooter....but I'll reserve judgment.

Phew, I was starting to think I was the only one who had some reservation towards this. Fallout as an action game wasn't what I was hoping for. But hey it's a new day and a new time, perhaps it will still be worth playing...

lugaru

Quote from: Swingman on July 12, 2007, 10:58:35 AM
QuoteI've gotta' say, I'm not too thrilled to hear that this is gonna' be a first person shooter....but I'll reserve judgment.

Phew, I was starting to think I was the only one who had some reservation towards this. Fallout as an action game wasn't what I was hoping for. But hey it's a new day and a new time, perhaps it will still be worth playing...

Yes I agree but Im more interested in having a good 'adult' game. Did any one else ever play vampire: bloodlines? It is a first person shooter but it uses the conventions of a fallout style open ended game (such as baldurs gate or arcanum) while doing action very well. If fallout pulls this off, good action while allowing options that either improve or hurt the world... then I will be happy. I hope they do more for balance too... with my invisibility gadget and sniper rifle I was untouchable at the end of the game.

General Jerky

I dont like the fact that there is a nuclear catapult. Im sorry but thats plain stupid.

And along with no eye shot and possibly no groin shot this also made me die inside

QuoteHow dialogue works? [sic]
Branching dialogue tree, different choices/chances of success based on charisma and speaking skill.
Poor INT will NOT affect your dialogue choices.
I miss talking to someone with like 1 INT. and have them go
"Good you remembered your name."

Verfall

Can't believe noone has mentioned that yet...

Got mine yesterday, barely left the comp since. It's got all the humor of Fallout, with all the great gameplay of Oblivion minus most of the problems Oblivion had.
My fears proved to be unwarranted, I'm loving this as much as I loved the first two!

Xenolith

Good news!  I'm going to wait for a while to pick it up, but I can see myself playing non-stop around the holidays.  I've beena big fan of Fallout and it's predacessors Wasteland and Wasteland Fountain of Dreams.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quotewith all the great gameplay of Oblivion minus most of the problems Oblivion had.

In other words, they didn't make Fallout 3, they made Fallout: Oblivion.  Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but fans wanting a real sequal are going to be ticked off.

GogglesPizanno

They also made (ahem)  Brotherhood of Steel....
Fallout 1 is Fallout 1.
Fallout 2 is Fallout 2.
and Fallout 3 is Fallout 3.

Its not a remake or a re imagining, its a sequel.
Most sequels are either copies or branches in a new direction. They had the copy sequel, now they have something new.
Will it annoy some...yes. But most sequels do.

All that matters to me is that its a fun apocalyptic game that allows me to roam around the wasteland killing things.
And Liam Neeson is my dad... All is well as far as I'm concerned.  :)

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteIts not a remake or a re imagining, its a sequel.
Most sequels are either copies or branches in a new direction. They had the copy sequel, now they have something new.

No, it's not.  A real sequal is the same kind of game.  It may go in another direction, but fallowing what made the previous games great.

Fallout 3 should be a traditional story based turn-based RPG with tactical elements.  This is a first person shooter with RPG elements.  The setting may be the same, they may even have nailed it, but it doesn't not interest me at all.  Fallout 1 interested me, as did 2, as would any real 3, but this is a very differnet genre of game and therefore is not a sequal in any true sense.

That would be like if they had named the first Heroes of might and magic Might and Magic IV.  Same setting, a lot of shared ideas, monsters,  and such, but different genres.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 29, 2008, 10:54:02 PM
QuoteIts not a remake or a re imagining, its a sequel.

No, it's not.  A real sequal is the same kind of game.  It may go in another direction, but fallowing what made the previous games great.

Fallout 3 should be a traditional story based turn-based RPG with tactical elements.  This is a first person shooter with RPG elements.  The setting may be the same, they may even have nailed it, but it doesn't not interest me at all.  Fallout 1 interested me, as did 2, as would any real 3, but this is a very differnet genre of game and therefore is not a sequal in any true sense.

That would be like if they had named the first Heroes of might and magic Might and Magic IV.  Same setting, a lot of shared ideas, monsters,  and such, but different genres.

I second that completely.  Fallout 3 might be a good game, it might even be a great game - but it's no sequel to Fallout 1 and 2, just as Fallout: Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel weren't real sequels to the franchise.

I'm also annoyed that the gaming media is using this as another opportunity to show how irrelevent they are - Fallout 3 has already received a bunch of perfect scores.  No matter how good a game is, none of them are perfect.  And how many games receive these sort of masturbatory reviews at release, only to be criticized later when an expansion or sequel comes out to improve upon that perfection?  It's not a low number these days.