• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Green Arrow or .... Prison Break :/ ?

Started by Xorn, April 09, 2007, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xorn

Ok, After reading this... I... am at a loss for words... Just to be clear I like Prison Break... but.... this seems to just go into a black hole of bad ideas.... Goto the link and read for yourself:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=41013&type=0

:banghead:

the_ultimate_evil

Panther_Gunn

ugh.  I could see this as a comic (mini-series, possibly Elseworlds), but not as a vehicle to get the Emerald Archer into movies or his own TV series. 

BentonGrey

That'd be a great story arc for the comics, but that is a TERRIBLE idea for a movie, he might as well not even be GA!

catwhowalksbyhimself

BentonGrey

What I can't believe is that the genuis who put Batman on screen in a way that completely honored who the character was would dream THIS up for another character.  I mean....even if this was a sequel to a Green Arrow movie, it wouldn't be so bad...but come ON!

BatWing

ugh green arrow for ten min and they shave his goatee off
weak

The Hitman

Jakew

The SUPERMAX concept is great: superhero trying to survive in a metahuman prison. It's an interesting twist on the superhero movie, since Hollywood has tried family films (Zoom), romantic comedies (Super Ex Girlfriend), and has the really dumb looking super dog film coming up.

But shoe-horning Green Arrow into it? What the ....? They couldn't pick a worse character to use. Although GA is a super-hero, he has no powers, which kind of makes putting him in a superhuman prison redundant (when they could, say, take away his bow and put him in a normal prison). Also, GA is essentially too lighthearted a character for a prison flick.

If you're going to do a Green Arrow movie, I can't see why they don't just adapt Longbow Hunters, and pad it out with some of GA's origin material.

Also, I really like what Goyer does with his comic/film adaptations, except for two things:

1) He mangles storylines a little more than necessary.

2) He can't direct. Blade Trinity was an abomination ... really laughably bad. He should never direct a comic property again.

Xorn

Well, it's confirmed and it's going ahead....

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41017&type=0

Crap.... Crap... Crap... Crap... Crap... Crap...

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, not good.

Now if they would have done the same concept with an anti-hero, say Lobo, or Punisher, that would have made more sense and I doubt there would be too many complaints.

Of course, those are probably bad examples, because not too many people survive those two, but you get the idea.

BentonGrey

Man...just....well...darn it!  I still had hope that they'd come to their senses....I guess we just sort of have to hope this dies in production, because otherwise we'll pretty much lose any chance of ever seeing GA in another movie again.

GhostMachine

They actually did a story in the comics back in the....late 80's, I think....where Green Arrow went to prison and had to fight criminals inside of it. I don't remember why he was in prison, but he actually managed to construct a makeshift bow (using part of his bedframe) and arrows and wore a bandana to cover the lower part of his face. (I *think* he got himself arrested and convicted on purpose to go after a particular criminal who was using the prison as a base of operations or to protect someone who was wrongly convicted and sent there) It ran in World's Finest for several months, but I only read one or two parts of the story.

Protomorph

cmdrkoenig67

I'm not a GA fan, but this sounds like an incredibly stupid thing to do with the character...I hope it bombs...Hugely.

Dana :thumbdown:

catwhowalksbyhimself

Although, unfortunately, if it does so, it will be interpreted either as no one having any interest in the character, or superhero movies no longer being worth making, depend on whether any more successful superhero movies come out at the same time or not.

BentonGrey

That's exactly the problem, Cat!  We're in a catch 22 about this sucker.  That's why I'm pulling for it to die that sublime, quiet death of so many comic book movies, never reaching the screen.

Cardmaster

..what is it with this writer and putting superheroes in prison...?

-CM

zuludelta

Over at the Permanent Damage forums, Steven Grant actually remarked about how similar the main plot of this proposed movie is to the story he wrote for the original 1986 Punisher mini-series.

He's my favourite Justice Leaguer by far but I just can't see how this movie will work outside of being marketed towards a specific (and relatively small) core audience of Green Arrow fans. I mean, solo Green Arrow material is pretty much marginalized as it is within the comics-reading public (he's probably not in a lot of people top 10 favourite characters lists and I always thought that the character was best utilized in a team setting), but without the context of being embedded in a much larger universe, I don't think the significance of all the villains he put in jail and the gravity of the situation will sink in to the non-comics reading viewer.

BentonGrey

I agree ZD, but if they wanted to make a Green Arrow movie, now is the time to do it, what with all of the exposure from Smallville, he's as big as he'll ever be in the general public.

captainspud

*shrugs*

Maybe it's because I don't care about the character, but this sounds like a pretty good movie to me. :)

BatWing

yes a green arrow movie would be good if it has speedy of course

lugaru

Quote from: zuludelta on April 14, 2007, 01:41:40 PM
Over at the Permanent Damage forums, Steven Grant actually remarked about how similar the main plot of this proposed movie is to the story he wrote for the original 1986 Punisher mini-series.

+ Punisher keeps going to jail, it's a re-ocurring theme with his character since then. Most recently he was there to see "help" daredevil and in the cell he went to jail to slaughter the mobsters directly involved with his families death. If they make a punisher sequel (I really hope they do, the movie was so-so but I can see a posibility for improvement, just like daredevil and hulk) I hope it either starts or the middle takes place in prison.

Now while this could be bad for the character (who I dont know well but consider one of DC's biggest Bad@$$es) it certanly wont kill superhero comics, stuff like the spider-man movies, 300, batman begins and sin city have well cemented that they are money makers and there's something in them for the critics too. More dangerous high profile stuff underperforming, like the slightly boring superman returns.