• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Returning to FF2. Need advice.

Started by AncientSpirit, March 16, 2007, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientSpirit

I bought FF2 when it first came out ... but never got around to playing it because there wasn't much to customize, etc., and everything I knew from FF1 didn't seem to apply.   (i.e., where hero files went, where to put characters, etc.)

Now some time has passed and it seems that you guys have figured it all out.   I see new fx for FF2.  New FFX for FF2, etc.

Could someone tell me what I'm supposed to load in what order? 

Are their patches that I need to download for the game to get it to work with XP with Service Pack 2?

Where do i put the meshes and skins?

Can I use the same hero files?  And where do they go?

Can I use my old speech packs?   And if so, how?   

What are the must-have mods?   etc.

Any and all help appreciated.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteCould someone tell me what I'm supposed to load in what order? 

I don't know that it matters, except EZFX 6 should go before FFX 3.2.  The newest FFX automatically detects EZFX 6 at install and makes itself compatible.  You can thank Epi for that amazing installer.

QuoteAre their patches that I need to download for the game to get it to work with XP with Service Pack 2?

There are no patches period, as Irrational dropped support while the first patch was still in beta.  Fortunately, the game is completely XP2 compatible as-is.

QuoteWhere do i put the meshes and skins?

Can I use the same hero files?  And where do they go?

Meshes, skins, and hero files are all stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom, replacing Compaq_Owner with the appropriate folder name.  The hero files will work, but they will try to use meshes in the FF1 directory and won't work when they can't find them.  There's a fix elsewhere that will make it possible to change the mesh location to the new using EZ Hero for FF1.

QuoteCan I use my old speech packs?   And if so, how?   

Yes, install them exactly the same, except you'll need to make a template as well as a fake character.  The new voice clips will go unused, though.

QuoteWhat are the must-have mods?   

I think I put up a list in the wiki.  I'd look there, if I were you.

AncientSpirit

Thanks, Cat.   Most of this sounds pretty easy to do.   

Two last questions:  1) Do the Hero files go anywhere different than they did in FF1?

2) can you elaborate on the speech packs?   What are these fake characters?   And I totally don't understand the bit about new voice clips going unused?   

(I'm assuming that these new voice clips you're talking about are something other than Attack1, 2, etc. because otherwise it makes no sense to put in the speech packs.)   

Sorry for sounding like such a newbie ... but its been so long.   :doh:     

(And thanks for taking the time to explain ... and help.)

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteTwo last questions:  1) Do the Hero files go anywhere different than they did in FF1?

I already answered that question in that above post.  Go to the same directory for the meshes.  Go into the heroes folder.  Easy enough.

Quote2) can you elaborate on the speech packs?   What are these fake characters?   And I totally don't understand the bit about new voice clips going unused?   

I'm assuming you've installed voice packs in FF, right?  Remember, you had to add a character in the editor and give it the new voicepack in order to use it?  That's what I meant by fake characters.  The process should be all on the wiki.  I'd highly recommend looking through it.

FFvTTR (it isn't really FF2, that project was canceled, as far as I know) has several new event that trigger voice pack speech, like when the character has been given no order and starts to act on his own, or when a primary state ends.  FF doesn't have those clips, so any voice pack for that game, while it will work perfectly well in FFvTTR, will be missing those clips.  Nothing bad will happen, you'll just lose the benefit of the extra feedback, which I find to be useful.

Previsionary

Meshes and skins can also go here: Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters

The only difference is that one loads faster than the other, I believe. Also, I think the FR wiki answers all your questions if you should need extra help.

http://frworld.wikispaces.com/

AncientSpirit

Thanks, Previsionary ... especially for the link.    Wiki didn't exist the last time I was involved with FF, and I wasn't quite sure how to access it.

You also mentioned that one of the two places one can put meshes and skins loads faster than the other.  Which one is preferable for speed?  And is there any downside to placing meshes/skins in one area as opposed to another?    (Or is all this answered in wiki?  I will look there next, but wanted to thank you right away for the link.)   ;)

stumpy

Quote from: Previsionary on March 16, 2007, 02:05:26 PMMeshes and skins can also go here: Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters

The only difference is that one loads faster than the other, I believe.

Which is better? I install my meshes in the game's folder (not the Windows folder), but I have so few custom meshes that I may not be seeing the slowdown, if that's the choice that causes it.

I am thinking about reviving an old project where it might matter which place is best.

(Sorry if this is in the wiki, but I didn't spot it.)

catwhowalksbyhimself

I believe that each location has a disadvantage when compared to the other.  One's slower with a large number of meshes, but I can't remember what it was with the other.

stumpy

I thought it had to do with one being better for multiplayer and the other better for single player, but it was a long time ago that I saw that discussion (and I thought it might have been on ffans, anyway).

M25

I put meshes in the game folder as well.

Probably the least obvious bit is the hero files.  They are put in a hidden folder under your user name.  Something along the lines of:

C:\Documents and Settings\<YourLoginName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes

As for mods, grab EZFX from
http://www.alexff.com/ and
FFX 3.2 from
http://libertybay.freedomforceforever.com/ffx.htm

EZFX includes art (FX) that other mods will likely use.
FFX 3.2  is technically in beta, but it is stable.  It includes a lot of new powers and an AI that will use most of those powers. 

It also comes with EZscript.  It takes scripts something like those you used to send me and turns them into missions that you can play in the game.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteProbably the least obvious bit is the hero files.  They are put in a hidden folder under your user name.  Something along the lines of:

C:\Documents and Settings\<YourLoginName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes

I said that earlier in this thread.  Twice, as a matter of fact.

Epimethee

Good to have you back in the FF aircar, Ancien Spirit. :)

Caveat emptor: Please note that FFX 3.2 is still in beta; not that there should be too many changes in the final release.

IIRC, the Document and settings location for meshes was apparently slower; the reason for using that (censored) path is that IG wanted to get the "Made for Windows XP" certification.

And Stumpy, that mysterious old project of yours is arrousing my curiosity.

AncientSpirit

Quote from: M25 on March 16, 2007, 03:28:42 PM

Probably the least obvious bit is the hero files.  They are put in a hidden folder under your user name.  Something along the lines of:

Thanks, M25.   That's exactly what I needed. 

As you know, in FF1 the  Heroes folder was right there in the Irrational Folder, in DATA, under Art but not inside Art. 

FF2 is SO different.   Even though Cat gave CLEAR directions on where to look, because I THOUGHT I knew where the Heroes file was located, I started there, looking at only the end of his directions ... and naturally couldn't find the heroes file anywhere.     

My error was compounded by the fact that, from FF1, I was used to putting skins and meshes in the game folder and did that here as well ... mistakenly thinking that I was following Cat's advice.   And the meshes and skins worked there, of course. 

But when I created a character in-game, figuring that I'd be able to find him, and the folder ... :doh: 

Meanwhile, when Cat told me AGAIN that he had already told me where the Heroes folder was, I couldn't imagine why he was sounded a little ... impatient ... with me.   :banghead:

It wasn't until you said to look for a hidden folder and I couldn't find that, that I caught on to what you both were telling me.

(Sometimes having a little knowledge is worse than having no knowledge at all.) 

Thanks again.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the hidden folder thing.

My bad for that.