• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Looking for a new TV

Started by TheMarvell, April 27, 2008, 03:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarvell

alright, I've been putting this off for a while, but the time has come for me to upgrade and buy a new television. I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on good brands or just any thoughts really.

I'm looking for an HD LCD TV, that's between 26" and 37" (personal preference: 32") that runs between the price range of $500 and $700. One of the biggest perks I want with the TV, though, is multiple Audio/Video outlets (the red, white, and yellow plugs). I'd like at least 3 of these so I can play my dvd player, PS2, and Xbox360 on it without the assistance of an RF Switcher (what I'm using now on my SDTV, which has NO A/V outlets).

So does anyone have any suggestions or can help me out? Again, I don't know what brands are good. Best Buy has some on sale this week. I've seen these brands go along my price-range:

-Dynex
-Sharp
-Westinghouse
-Toshiba
-Insignia

I know Sony is the poster-child brand of TVs, but they're always closer to $800, which is a bit out of my price range.

I'm hoping to get one some time by the end of the week if I can.

Cardmaster

1: It makes me really happy to see the literal use of "Television Discussion" here :)
2: I'm a fan of Toshiba, personally. They make, in my experience, really solid hardware. Bear in mind, however, that I have no knowledge of the other brands really...

Mostly I just wanted to make this post to express point 1. :P

GogglesPizanno

I feel you about the no video inputs...
I just upgraded to a 32" HD LCD (after my last old crappy TV died - it might even be the same RF Switcher driven POS TheMarvell has  :thumbdown:), but I was on a really limited budget of $500 or less.

I ended up going with a lower end 32" Envision from Costco (they double the manufacturers warranty and allow returns no questions asked). For me its been working out great. It doesn't have the multiple video inputs you were looking for.... but since I only use it to watch movies (no cable) its fine for me. Maybe I'm just being dumb, but It seems like there is less variance in quality across LCD screens as there were in Tube TV's.

If you wanted to stay more with Name brand stuff... I'll second Toshiba as a brand as I've had nothing but good luck with their other types of components (never had a Toshiba TV). Sony still has a big following in the TV dept. but Ive had a bad taste in my mouth from them for all the missteps and stupid things they've done over the last several years. They just aren't the company they once were (in my opinion).

I have been warned by a couple of friends to stay away from Samsung. One had two TV's fail, the other spent months trying to get a simple part ordered and replaced (under warranty).