• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

I remember of a skinning challenge.

Started by Volsung, January 31, 2007, 05:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volsung

UnfluffyBunny

Hmm, I was thinking about starting some challenges a while back, I can think of a few cool ideas of different styles of challenges... some of these may seem a lil harsh, but thats why I call them challenges ;)

Exquisite Corpse:
depending on how many people enter, prolly max of 6, a mesh is devided into parts (example chest, back, head, thighs, boots, arms and gloves) starting with the first person skinning say the chest, this part is then sent to the organiser and a modified version showing only a small amount connecting to neighbouring parts sent to the people working on those parts for colour reference, and it continues till all parts have been completed, probably easier to organise with a set theme.

Face Off:
1 on 1: a theme is decided (for example, mystic superheroes) both participants create 1 skin for the theme in a deadline (24/48 hours) the skins are posted, and another time limit is set to create another skin, plus a 1 or 2 hour timeframe to edit over the top of your opponents first character, changes do not need to use this entire limit but must be noticable, after posting a third time limit is given where participants must put forward a 3rd skin and also edit again the 2nd skin of their opponent, a final 1 or 2 hour time limit is given to edit the 3rd skin of your opponent.
timeframes would be taken by date, not when skins are started for the main part (ie start monday, 1st skin must be finished by tuesday, 2nd by wednesday, etc) and edits must be included in your time alotment and be posted with your segment skin, excluding the 3rd edit which must be posted within a day of the 3rd skins being posted, you are trusted to keep your timeframe to the alloted time).
no psd's to be passed on, all work must be over the top of given tga's.
group vs group: much the same, but you only make 1 skin and 1 edit, deciding in a team who takes which edit.
if a participant cannot make deadline for any reason they may ask for a time extension, leway will be given to those who for any reason were not able to access the forum, all other reasons for missing the deadline will result in being removed from the challenge

1 Up (the big one):
2+ participants, participant 1 produces a skin, participant 2 upgrades the set, either editing the existing skin, or adding a new skin, or both, this continues through all participants till all but 1 give up the loop, the theme can be changed at will as can the style, all work from any part of the challenge can be altered at any time in the challenge, entries for each round must be presented as a jpg image using all material from the challenge, once again no psd's to be passed on, tga's only. if a participant cannot make deadline for any reason they may ask for a time extension, leway will be given to those who for any reason were not able to access the forum, all other reasons for missing the deadline will result in being removed from the challenge, if you are removed from this challenge but have good reason then you may be allowed to re-enter at an appropriate place.

for the face off and 1 up challenges a yahoo group would be required in order for tga's and meshes to be exchanged.

notice none of these challenges have any way to indicate a winner or a loser, it's pure challenge for the participants and orientated to increase skill.

if anyone would like me to elaboate in any of these ideas i'll try and make up some examples :)

Volsung

One of the problem with most of your ideas is the deadline.
Each attendee won't have the same spare time.
Some of them risk to delay other members.
(I remember of almost a month as a deadline for the previous challenge)

What I liked with the previous challenge was ,that it was not a competition but a way to see many unique characters.
And...I don't know the correct expression in english.
'Collective behaviour' .A kind of motivating force between members you see?

Pyroclasm

Deadlines are always an issue.  When I ran the Skinning Challenges, while most met the deadline, many people often complained that a month wasn't enough time for them.  People also participated more often when given general guidelines that varied from the next person.  It resulted in a larger mix of styles and a level of excitement in the non-participants to see what each person did.  Sort of a "surprise result".  I do agree that the assignments should pose a challenge (afterall that's why it's called a Skinning Challenge) but it should remain a bit carefree or it risks becoming a chore.

UnkoMan

I set up that one challenge... and I failed at it. I still have the half done skins.

I like the challenges, but find my skins never living up to standards on them. I don't know why. So I probably won't sign up for any more. I love to see the results though. Always entertaining.

Volsung

Sure ,everyone would like to be as talented as Revenant

But Unko, I like your skins.Because the design is really original.
They're not common supermuscular heroes in spandex.They got style!
They distinguish with the classic overdark overcool handsome hunk or diva.
Really!I've got plenty of your skins in my custom heroes.
(I'm actually working on your new coppertop.My wish to participate in a skinning challenge don't compete with my Libert bay pledge)

QuoteDeadlines are always an issue.  When I ran the Skinning Challenges, while most met the deadline, many people often complained that a month wasn't enough time for them.  People also participated more often when given general guidelines that varied from the next person.  It resulted in a larger mix of styles and a level of excitement in the non-participants to see what each person did.  Sort of a "surprise result".  I do agree that the assignments should pose a challenge (afterall that's why it's called a Skinning Challenge) but it should remain a bit carefree or it risks becoming a chore.
I second this!

So? who would be interested?

UnfluffyBunny

I kinda posted those as examples to make people go beyond the generic, yeah I agree about the deadlines, think I may have gone a teeny tiny bit overboard there :P

[edit] I should mention, if the challenges come back, depending on if they are indeed challenging, I would be inclined to participate :)

the_ultimate_evil

if they came back, with taking into account time and RL, i'm in the same boat as the rabbit.

Volsung

:thumbup:

According to the previous challenge ,each attendee got a subject and a mesh randomly.
I propose that only the subject would be assigned randomly.
So the skinner could at least choose the mesh which suits better his subject.

Come on ! more volunteers!

lugaru

I dont really care what the challenge is (as long as it involves skinning, I cant mesh), I'll gladly participate for skinning challenges are the only thing that consistently gets me back into skinning. Yeah, might not be the best on the forum but I get my assignment done.  ^_^

... one idea I liked was doing superheroes or avatars (whichever) but limited to using in-game meshes.

The Hitman

I kinda crapped out on the last one... but what the heck? I'll sign up.

And I'll finish, too!

Volsung

Great great!
Who else participate in the previous skinning challenge?(So we could convince them to sign on that new one)

UnkoMan

Volsung, thank you for boosting my ego. I was actually specifically talking about skins I've done for challenges, though. They always seem like I just end up rushing them.

So, again, I am not signing up. But I do wish you guys luck with this. Actually... I might be persuaded to try it if you do the exquisite corpse or one up things. Not as a timed challenge, but just as a fun thing to do.

Volsung

At your service Unko :P
(I finished coppertop mesh yesterday,I'm about to begin hawk based on your research)

Well , we're 5 for the moment.
How many were they for the previous skinning challenge?

What do we decide about the subject?
Each attendee propose a theme that will be assigned randomly?
Or anyone can propose a theme (that will be assigned randomly to attendees)

FLASH_22798

I agree with Unko... I stopped doing challenges because I always felt my skins were never up to my standards for them.   I don't do too much skinning anymore, especially with all the r/l issues going on, but I guess I'd be willing to give another one a try.   I'd hate to see the challenge not happen because there's not enough people joining up, so add me to the list.

lugaru

Usually somebody clears his throat and speaks in a real official tone saying what the challenge is. Most of the time people sign up. If any of you guy's have a good idea just start a thread about it and I'll gladly go along.

Volsung

You're welcome Flash!

QuoteI propose that only the subject would be assigned randomly.
So the skinner could at least choose the mesh which suits better his subject.

QuoteEach attendee propose a theme that will be assigned randomly?
Or anyone can propose a theme (that will be assigned randomly to attendees)
We could asks the artists (from the Artist's Alley) for 6 assignments?
Anyway here's one:

The sorcerer/shaman from an ancient african tribe.Now wandering in Patriot city,facing evil.

Sioux City Dynamo

Hi Guys,

I would like to give this a try!...My thought sometime between the failure of Mighty Adam and the bright light of Captain Marvel the sorceror Shazam made a stop in the regions of the Norse and chose a champion to be "Thunder Chief" possing the assembled powers of the Norse Gods!

Respectfully,
Dr. Dynamo

Volsung

So we're now 7? Like the 7 samurai/mercenaries^^
UnfluffyBunny ,ultimate_evil,lugaru,Hitman ,FLASH_22798 make your assignments proposals!

Unless you'd prefer other rules?

lugaru

Im game... the sorcerer chose amongst the disciples of a shaolin monastery he who showed the most potential for good and noble deeds. Thus emerged the great protector of china "thunder fist".

FLASH_22798

QuoteSo we're now 7? Like the 7 samurai/mercenaries

That sounds cool.   So lets go with: The leader of the 7 Samurai, hidden in the shadows for years, finally reveals himself to unite and lead his team to victory.

lugaru

So dude, start a new thread with the challenge in the title and I can only assume people will show. If not I have a long weekend so I dont mind getting back into skinning.

Volsung

Time 's passing and the motivation was not obvious.
My own motivation declined too.
So I stopped to 'bump' it.Just seeing if that thread could live. :huh: