• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

FX installation issues...

Started by Courtnall6, June 13, 2008, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtnall6

K...I haven't installed any FX in a really long time and I started to put some in yesterday...but nothing is showing up. I follow the readmes to the letter. Everything is where it should be and it's all there in the FFEdit FX/Sounds tabs but no new FX are selectable in game. I don't recall having any issues before. Am I missing a step before that or something?

I feel like a total noob posting this by the way :oops:

Boalt92

1) ezfx or individual/custom?

2) (since you feel like a noob already..... :rolleyes:)  did you double check your data paths?

B92

Previsionary

*GASP* C6 is in my domain now. MWAHAHAHA

dramatics over, the basics have been covered already, but FFVTTR has a different setup than ff1 did. Every mod has it's own fx setup so they're not shared by every game. So, you got to make sure you're installing the fx into the right game (original, ffx, custom mod) or that you're launching the correct game.

*yes, I'm assuming this is for FFVTTR. :P*

Courtnall6

Man...I completely forgot how to do this stuff lol

Quote from: ips on June 13, 2008, 01:40:32 PM
you're probably installing the fx into the default uncustomized game fx dat instead of the ffx/ezfx dat you're probably using.

That's probalby it. I play using the ffx mod. All the Data paths are pointing to the standard game.

Primary - C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data
Secondary - C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data
NIF Library - C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\art
Sounds - C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Sounds

stumpy

Don't know if you've solved it yet (haven't checked this forum in a bit), but if you are installing FX to the Data path (I think Custom may be another option where they will also be accessible to all mods) and then added them in FFEdit referring to the Data path, as you have above, then you still need to merge those DATs into the mod you playing (e.g. FFX3) to see them when you open that mod.

Also, when you add the paths pointing to the NIFs and so on, make sure to use relative paths. That is, things like NIF Base should be library\fx\generic\BinaryBeam and not C:\Program Files\games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art\library\fx\generic\BinaryBeam. That avoids some trouble during the merges.

style

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 13, 2008, 01:25:42 PM
K...I haven't installed any FX in a really long time and I started to put some in yesterday...but nothing is showing up. I follow the readmes to the letter. Everything is where it should be and it's all there in the FFEdit FX/Sounds tabs but no new FX are selectable in game. I don't recall having any issues before. Am I missing a step before that or something?

I feel like a total noob posting this by the way :oops:

If C6 feels like a noob. Then when I forgets what am I? :huh:

pr1983

sorry to butt in on c6's thread (love his stuff btw), but i didnt want to make a duplicate thread, so...

downloaded the cyclops fx pack by premonitioner, as it looked sweet. followed the following steps:

QuoteUnzip the file onto your hard drive. Place the folder, cyclops beam, into the generics folder (\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art\library\fx\generic\). Place the .tga/dds files, located inside the folder, into the _textures folder.

Open FFedit-
go to fx tab, and select new. 
type in the name cyclops beam and nif base- library\fx\generic\cyclops beam

attack type- ranged
sub type- beam

node attachment points-
start- Weapon (or head)
core- Weapon (or head)
Launch- (blank)
end- (Blank)

hit SAVE.

(You can add your own custom sounds if you would like)

***************YOUR DONE!!!***************

i'd put 'head' in the start and core sections, and hit save... i loaded up the game, nothing. it wasn't on the list. i went through the modtools, and it appeared, so stuck it on cyclops and loaded up the game.

went to rumble room, and tried to use him, only to get the 'activate ffx control centre' message...

activated it, and nothing happened... i'd read tutorials and the site, but in all honesty i havent got the hang of it...

my install was standard, after which i installed exfx6, ffx2 and ff3, and started adding characters...

i also feel like a noob. and im the kind of person who used to tinker with starfleet command 3 for hours on end...

Previsionary

you could've just posted it in my thread. :P
--------

"Which" game did you install it into? If you installed it into FFVTTR (that's the base game), then that's the only place where you'll see the fx. If you want it to show up in a mod such as FFX3+, you'll need to make sure ffedit is set to that mod before installing said fx OR you'll need to merge dats.

Does that make sense? Also, as a side note, downloading the X-pack would probably be a good idea since it comes with all the fx I released during that time + the dat file for merging purposes...so basically...many fx without having to manually install them all. :P

pr1983

i was going to post it, but i assumed it was a relatively easy problem to fix... and i didnt want to come accross as one of those whiny noobs that's like 'wha! wha! fix my problems for me because i can't be bothered myself! wah!'

but anyways, yeah, i went and had a look in the data folder, and low and behold, there was an ffx3 folder... ok, so i put the stuff i download in there rather than the usual program files irrational games ffvtr data art etc?

now i've opened ffedit, and on the options, it has primary data path, secondary, nif library path etc...

do i change all of these to ffx3?

sorry again for being a bother...

laughing paradox

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 13, 2008, 02:01:56 PM
Man...I completely forgot how to do this stuff lol

Quote from: ips on June 13, 2008, 01:40:32 PM
you're probably installing the fx into the default uncustomized game fx dat instead of the ffx/ezfx dat you're probably using.

That's probalby it. I play using the ffx mod. All the Data paths are pointing to the standard game.

Primary - C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data
Secondary - C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data
NIF Library - C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\art
Sounds - C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Sounds

Point the Primary Path to your ffx3 folder, and make sure you install all your things into the appropriate FFx3 folder (tgas and so on). 

pr1983

got it, and it seems to be working perfectly...

just want to say i appreciate the help, i owe you guys...