• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Clone Wars stunk

Started by Dr.Volt, August 19, 2008, 01:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Volt

Did anyone see the new Star Wars:  Clone Wars movie?  I did at the urging of my 9 year old SW fanatic son, Noah.  It was disappointing.  That's 3 hours and about $20.00 I'll never get back!  Yeah, I knew going into it that it was essentially a pilot of the upcoming CG animated series.  Yeah, I knew that the animation wouldn't be as good as say, a Pixar film.  But it was really lacking.  Big on action...low on story.  And if you weren't familiar with the prior CN series, you might be a little lost with it.  I would not recommend seeing it.

GogglesPizanno

I kept hearing that it was like the worst film ever made...
So when we saw it, it wasn't as bad as we had heard. But Pretty close.
As Dr. Volt said... lots of action (so much that it gets boring really fast), little characterization, and the worst "Lucas humor" ever. I mean when it comes to jokes, this thing makes EP1's droids look like Citizen Kane. There were moments when Im sure my friend was going to throw something at the screen in frustration. And the plot... Its a stupid plot to be sure, but it also works to emphasize how the whole Clone Wars as conceived by Lucas is utterly boring and uninteresting. Storm troopers fighting robots... YAWN.

Though a couple of pluses.
The animated Anakin isn't near the whiny annoyance the live action one was.
And the actor they got to mimic Ewan McGregor (mimicking Alec Guiness) does a really good job.

As a 90 minute film it could have cut out a lot of plot and characters (and ALL the jokes) and had a mildly entertaining (if bland) 30 minute star wars animated thing. As it stands, it did nothing to interest me in watching the TV show.

MJB

Quote from: Dr.Volt on August 19, 2008, 01:44:37 PM
Did anyone see the new Star Wars:  Clone Wars movie?  I did at the urging of my 9 year old SW fanatic son, Noah.

I'm interested in what your 9 year old thought of the movie. My son, who is also 9, wants to see it and I'm curious what another kid thinks.

-MJB

Renegade

Entertainment Weekly gave it an "F".

Ouch.

My youngest just came into my studio and said that he wants to go see it for his birthday, so it looks like I'm stuck.

Hmmmph, they should hire me to direct one of these things. I'd make a kick arse Star Wars flick, y'betcha.

Dr.Volt

Quote from: MJB on August 19, 2008, 02:44:28 PM
Quote from: Dr.Volt on August 19, 2008, 01:44:37 PM
Did anyone see the new Star Wars:  Clone Wars movie?  I did at the urging of my 9 year old SW fanatic son, Noah.

I'm interested in what your 9 year old thought of the movie. My son, who is also 9, wants to see it and I'm curious what another kid thinks.

-MJB

Noah loved it.  He's easy to please apparently.  ;)

JeyNyce

Either post a spoiler or PM me, but I want to know what happens to the little girl Jedi.  My 4 year old girl wants to see it because of her.

Dr.Volt

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 20, 2008, 07:01:14 AM
Either post a spoiler or PM me, but I want to know what happens to the little girl Jedi.  My 4 year old girl wants to see it because of her.

[spoiler]The Jedi girl (can't remember her name) was actually my favorite character.  She had spunk and was interesting where everyone else was just flat and uninteresting.  So what happens to her?  She fights a lot, jumps a lot, deflects a lot of blaster fire with her light saber and cuts up a lot of robots....pretty much like all the rest of the protagonists.  She does face off against the main Sith baddy for a moment which could be kind of scary (the baldy, duel light saber chick who was equally as uninteresting as the rest of the majority of the charaters).   She doesn't die...or even get wounded if I can remember correctly.

As an aside, I did find it fairly annoying the way that the Jedi girl seemed incapable of holding her light saber straight up.  I think it's fairly kewl to hold it down for the bad arse factor once in a while.  But only as an occasional alternative....and certainly not all the time.  I wanted to reach into screen, grab her saber, and put it into her hand the right way like a coach and say "THERE...now use it right!".  Well, that's just me. 

Did I answer your question?[/spoiler]

GogglesPizanno

QuoteEither post a spoiler or PM me, but I want to know what happens to the little girl Jedi.  My 4 year old girl wants to see it because of her

I gather she is supposed to be the surrogate character for the younger viewers, so like Dr. Volt said.
However the adult audience will be cringing in pain at the "funny" nicknames she comes up for other characters.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Dr.Volt on August 20, 2008, 07:15:08 AM
[spoiler]The Jedi girl (can't remember her name) was actually my favorite character.  She had spunk and was interesting where everyone else was just flat and uninteresting.  So what happens to her?  She fights a lot, jumps a lot, deflects a lot of blaster fire with her light saber and cuts up a lot of robots....pretty much like all the rest of the protagonists.  She does face off against the main Sith baddy for a moment which could be kind of scary (the baldy, duel light saber chick who was equally as uninteresting as the rest of the majority of the charaters).   She doesn't die...or even get wounded if I can remember correctly.

As an aside, I did find it fairly annoying the way that the Jedi girl seemed incapable of holding her light saber straight up.  I think it's fairly kewl to hold it down for the bad arse factor once in a while.  But only as an occasional alternative....and certainly not all the time.  I wanted to reach into screen, grab her saber, and put it into her hand the right way like a coach and say "THERE...now use it right!".  Well, that's just me. 

[spoiler]Unfortunately, she probably shares the fate of most of the other Jedi (and Padawans)...in Episode III or sometime after.[/spoiler]

JeyNyce

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 20, 2008, 07:01:14 AM

Yes & Thank you

Dr.Volt

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on August 21, 2008, 12:26:05 AM

[spoiler]Unfortunately, she probably shares the fate of most of the other Jedi (and Padawans)...in Episode III or sometime after.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Sadly I'm sure that's so[/spoiler]

Oh, btw, JeyNyce, UR welcome!

Ares_God_of_War

Quote from: Dr.Volt on August 21, 2008, 12:46:41 PM
Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on August 21, 2008, 12:26:05 AM

[spoiler]Sadly I'm sure that's so[/spoiler]

Oh, btw, JeyNyce, UR welcome!

[spoiler]its for those reasons I havent seen it because it is kind of sad to think you may be investing an emotinal attachment to this little girl's character then to think she may have been one of those young ones who gets cut down early[/spoiler]