• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Black Panther Teaser..

Started by crimsonquill, July 27, 2008, 09:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crimsonquill

There has been much hype that the current Black Panther writer had major things planned for bringing an animated Black Panther series to the BET network. Even as much as getting John Romita Jr to help with character designs and laying out the storyboards...

This is what was revealed at SDCC...

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1513658585/bctid1690279286

Personally I like it because instead of modernizing a comic book look they instead went with the style of the old '60s Marvel toons... however they have caught my attention especially with showing that this series is more "adult" then I expected it to be.

Edit: Here is a few details from the SDCC panel...

Quote* "I'm very excited about the series because we're trying to do something never done before, bring an actual comic book to life," Hudlin said, noting the series will be based on the "Who is the Black Panther?" six-issue story that Romita drew. Hudlin also said there will be additional adaptations and new stories for the show.

* The series will premiere in February and will definitely be a prime-time series, likely airing at 10 p.m.

* Cowan, who initiated the series, said the animation process came from the Hollywood-based Titmouse animation house, which produces Metalopaclypse. "Basically we took them the comic book, and it waa very simple," Cowan said, noting Romita's artwork is "very cinematic."

* "I got chills watching that. It's a selfish feeling. The whole package, working with Reggie, made perfect sense to me," Romita said.

- CrimsonQuill

Renegade

Um....okay.....

I know from experience that BET animation is pretty cheap, but man, they must really be hurting for a budget on this one.

Gremlin

I dunno...the style looks too reminiscient of a flash animation.

JeyNyce

I like the animation, it reminds me of MTV's The Maxx.  At the end, when Black Panther was talking in the shadows, my friend & I both said "Batman?"  Other than that it looks pretty good.

Okay 1 more rant: 8000 B.C.? unless it's a flashback.

Glitch Girl

Animation did look like it was done on flash andit looked rough, but I didn't mind it so much.  What bugged me was the dialogue in the "8000 BC".  Now, while I don't expect "thees" and "thous", it still felt anachronisticly modern, especially the  "stay cool"  and "kiss my-" parts. 

I hope it's not going to try to sell itself on it's violence alone. 

Renegade

Quote from: Gremlin on July 27, 2008, 10:19:41 PM
I dunno...the style looks too reminiscient of a flash animation.

The animation studio Titmouse does a lot of flash stuff, which I assume they are doing here as well (or something similar like Toon Boom).

captainspud

Mark my words-- this will not end well.

UnkoMan

Well, I like it. Okay, so the modern dialogue is way out of place. And, no, it's nothing like what the Maxx did.

But yes, it is like those old '60s cartoons. Now they weren't the best. In fact they were pretty crappy*Mod Edit*. However, they WERE very enjoyable and fun to watch. That's what I feel with this. It's just fun to watch. Would I be happier with an actually animated sweet-arse Maxx style cartoon? Yes. But I don't see that happening for the Black Panther, so this might just be a good second. I'd probably rather watch this than if they tried some kind of Batman: TAS on it. And I loved that show.

Anyhow, c'mon... it won't be great but that doesn't have to mean it won't be fun.

JeyNyce

Quote from: UnkoMan on July 28, 2008, 09:11:13 AM
Well, I like it. Okay, so the modern dialogue is way out of place. And, no, it's nothing like what the Maxx did.

You HAD to throw that in there...... :P

Viking

Thus does Marvel bring us...

Samurai Black.  Panther.

Glitch Girl

Bite your tongue Viking. :P

Samurai Jack was oddles better than this clip.

So was the Maxx, come to think of it.

JeyNyce

Quote from: Glitch Girl on July 28, 2008, 11:43:48 AM
So was the Maxx, come to think of it.

Not you too.  :lol:

I'm just going to shut up now......

Glitch Girl

Awww Jey I'm sowwy. ;)

Actually I can see what you mean on a stylistic level with the line quality and all.  Been so long since I've seen the Maxx I can't compare animation quality though.

Writing on this clip though... lightyears behind Maxx.

ow_tiobe_sb

This trailer lost me at BET.  I'm sorry to say that, in my book, any collaboration with that, ahem, channel can only end in a travesty of cruel misrepresentation.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

lugaru

I quickly went from a huge "Yay, live action!" grin to a "animation... sigh" frown. Seriosly what is this? Like others have said... it might as well be flash animated.

And Yeah, the Maxx rocked but that's because it was so far out there that it really owned it's presentation.

laughing paradox

Interesting concept, horrible execution.

I couldn't get past the awkward Flash animation to enjoy it.

Figure Fan

JeyNyce

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on July 28, 2008, 01:23:22 PM
This trailer lost me at BET.  I'm sorry to say that, in my book, any collaboration with that, ahem, channel can only end in a travesty of cruel misrepresentation.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

Me too.  I saw Marvel - YAY!, BET -  :doh:

But like all Super Hero stuff, I'm going to give it a chance.

Zippo

I... liked the animation....  :unsure:

Failed_Hero

you all do realize this is going to be based on Reginald Hudlin's work on Black Panther, you know the guy who thought at first T'Challa was African American. The man who almost ruined the TV series the Boondocks.  The man who forced marvel to create a different Black Knight because he doesn't read any continuity.  My problem with Hudlin he seems to make everything about race, that couple with this match made in Hell with BET means this is going to suck worse the Spider-Man Clone Saga.

Core

i liked it.

i'll leave it at that since it seems i am outnumbered.

JeyNyce

I had to look it up:

Wikipedia:

Reginald Alan Hudlin (born December 15, 1961) is an American writer and film director.

He was born in Centreville, Illinois, the son of Helen (née Cason), a teacher, and Warrington W. Hudlin, Sr., an insurance executive and teacher.[1] His older brother, Warrington Hudlin, is also a film director, as well as an actor and producer.

He has directed such films as

* House Party with the rap duo Kid 'n Play;
    * Boomerang with Eddie Murphy and Halle Berry; and
    * The Great White Hype with Samuel L. Jackson, Peter Berg, and Jeff Goldblum.

In July 2005, Hudlin was hired as President of Entertainment for BET. He is currently writing the Marvel Comics series Black Panther, and was instrumental in the 2006 Marvel storyline "Bride of the Panther," which saw the characters Storm and the Black Panther wed.

thanoson

Hmm... Threading real close to offensive gents.

So, I liked it. I never turned away and thought, this is going to be bad. So, it did it's job for me.

Failed_Hero

My real issue comes with Hudlin's name being on it.  I am huge fan of Aaron Mcruder's Boondocks, in both comic and animated forms.  Hudlin as I heard, felt that the humor would not appeal to people because of it overtones.  I am a white male, in America from the South, which implies a great many untrue things. I think Boondocks it great because it is commentary on ignorance in all its forms, but Hudlin only saw it through the eyes of race, which is my main issue with his work on Black Panther, he has made race the key issue instead of writing a good story.  It is my issue with Judd Winnick  and his need for every book he writes to be a social commentary.

Whenever writers takes one aspect of a character and makes it the central story and selling point beyond one story, you wind up creating a token character and it reflects negatively on the character, the writer, and any stories that character is involved in.

I apologize if anything I said was offensive, however I simply introduced a fact.

I hope it does well, and if I hear good things later I may sallow my pride and watch it.  But the moment I hear the Prince of Wakanda talk "street" I'll wash my hands of it.

Previsionary

im in a similar boat with you, failed. I've yet to watch the trailer or read any info on this series yet, and I don't plan to until there's enough info running about for me to form a solid opinion on it before it actually airs, but I do have a problem with Hudlin in general. He took one of my fave X-females, destroyed her development, and made her a simple bride who somehow lost half of her personality as well...to a guy she barely spoke to. BAH! Also, BP has been on a downward spiral for awhile now and he's completely dropped off my fave 20 list...he's probably on the fave 100 list...somewhere. Maybe number 101...meaning he's on my fave 101 list? This post just got too complicated! *explodes*

House Quake

Quote from: thanoson on July 30, 2008, 08:27:16 AM
Hmm... Threading real close to offensive gents.
... so close I can see the skin of your teeth.

I'm kinda .... ehhh... as of right now.  I'll wait till more comes out later before I cast judgments though.

Kommando

I dunno.  I liked it, but I kind of saw the clip as a preview for the beginning part of the show which sets the tone and explains the back history, particularly Wakanda's technological superiority, even 10000 years ago.  I doubt the entire toon would be about neolithic tribemen getting killed by Wakandans various gorey ways, but that ought to be amusing for a few minutes.  I don't mind that its flash animation, as in some ways it really can "bring the comics to life" and the anachronisms I can dismiss.  We have no idea what people were like thousands of years ago in their speech and colloquial mannerisms, so instead of faking it why not use modernism if it gets the point across.  The one fellow may not have really said, "Kiss my..." but he may have said something equivalent.

Protomorph

It wasn't bad. I'll reserve judgement until the final product is shown.

After all, the pilot for The Venture Bros. was made in Flash, and I love that show. Flash gets a bad rap.

Previsionary

it does, doesn't it? Though, I've never heard/seen any complaints about foster's, harvey birdman, or homestar runner. *shrugs*

Zippo

Yeah, Birdman switched over to flash after the first season, didn't it? There wasn't really any noticable difference after the switch either (other than faster and cheaper production of each episode). Flash is a great tool in the right hands.