• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Converting DVD's to work on an iPod

Started by MJB, April 01, 2008, 11:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJB

Hey guys. Both of our oldest boys received iPods as gifts recently. I've ported over all of our music and pictures but don't have the means to transfer any of our movies.

We have lots of DVD's that the boys would love to be transfered but I don't know what program I should look for.

I'm not looking for pirated programs/movies, just a program that will allow me to take a DVD that I own and rip it into a iPod compatible copy. It would also be nice if the program allowed me to make a copy compatible for PSP but that's just a bonus.

Anyone out there who can help point me where I need to go?

-MJB

zuludelta

Try this guide (read the comments too, as they provide some useful tips and hints):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114549

No illegal software used in the guide (although one or two of them are bordering on it, I suppose), all using stuff you can get free from the internet. You'll probably want to use the latest version of DVDx though (the guide uses version 2.3, the latest version is 2.10 or something like that).

MJB

Ooh, thanks Zulu! I'll give that guide a shot. If anyone else has other suggestions please feel free to post. :D

-MJB

zuludelta

You're welcome Meej... I can probably whip up and post an alternative method if and when (and that's a big IF judging by how harried I am these days) I can.

Basically, if you've got a tried and true method for converting DVD movies into XviD or mpeg format that you're already comfortable with, all you need is something like Videora or meGUI (which is a more complicated, but more comprehensive tool than Videora) to turn that file into a format the iPod can play.   

MJB

I don't have a tried and true method of transferring movies to Mpeg format. I'm still fiddling with the stuff you linked to. Limited success so far. :?

-MJB

Previsionary

like zune and some other mp3 players, there are programs aimed specifically for ipods that should convert movies to ipod format. I can't give you any names right now, but a good google search might turn up something if i don't post something soonish. I don't know specifically about ipod, but i know it takes certain formats, resolutions, and setups.

GogglesPizanno

Usually converting any DVD to ____ format falls into 2 steps.

1. Ripping the DVD (legally questionable but easy to find utiliities)
2. Converting to the proper format

The converting step is where there are a gazillion solutions. Most of the easy to use, nice GUI applications are shareware or low cost (many are actually just nice front ends to free open source tools). So really its just a matter of figuring out what format your player supports and tracking down the software that supports it with a user level that you are comfortable with.

I have used the program DVDFab (http://www.dvdfab.com/) for Ripping.
They have a freeware version for just ripping DVD's, but the pay version includes one step conversions for most portable players (including ipod, zune etc...) It has a nice UI and is really straightforward. I haven't used it for conversions so I cant vouch for the quality of its conversions or anything like that but it might be worth a look - especially for the ease of use, if you wanted to pay the $40 or so.

If you are looking for the free/open source stuff, and the ipod supports xvid or divx encoded files (I would imagine it would) then a program called AutoGK (http://www.autogk.me.uk)  -- its actually a collection of open source tools tied together with a batch UI program. It balances quality and ease of use pretty well. I personally use this for all my conversions for my media jukebox in the living room. Its not terribly fast (~2-3 hours for a feature film), but the quality is really good, and there are options for setting target filesize, quality etc....

Another option is a program called "Super ©" (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html) -  Its free, supports a gazillion formats, but has a confusing UI, and I find the quality to be kinda iffy.

zuludelta

Quote from: MJB on April 01, 2008, 06:52:36 PM
I don't have a tried and true method of transferring movies to Mpeg format. I'm still fiddling with the stuff you linked to. Limited success so far. :?

-MJB

What kind of problems are you having? If it's the video and audio not synching up, I think the problem might be that there's some fidelity loss in the step between going from the DVD files (the VOB files) and going directly to MP4 using Videora. My suggestion is to first convert the VOB info into an mpeg file, and then convert the mpeg file to MP4.

Here's a perfectly reliable guide for extracting VOB data and converting it into an mpeg... I've been using a similar process for the past 7 years with no problems (you only have to follow steps 1 to 6 to get to an mpeg, the rest of the guide goes further into authoring the mpeg into a VCD):

http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/sefy/?id=ClassicalGuide.html#TMPGEnc

Some notes:

- You can use DVD Decrypter (linked to in the first guide I posted) in place of SmartRipper in the first step. SmartRipper is a more versatile utlity IMHO, but alas, it is now illegal to distribute that program. DVD Decrypter should be able to do the job, and most importantly, it is still legal to distribute.

- After creating your mpeg file, use Videora to convert the Mpeg file to MP4

zuludelta

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on April 02, 2008, 10:44:45 AM
If you are looking for the free/open source stuff, and the ipod supports xvid or divx encoded files (I would imagine it would)

See, the problem with the iPod as a portable video player is that it only supports the MP4 (MPEG-4 Part 14) and H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10, a.k.a. MPEG-4 AVC) container formats. You'd think they would have at least thrown in "normal" MPEG (otherwise known as MPEG-1 and MPEG-2) capability like most other recent portable video devices can (or at least bundled a utility to convert files into a format playable on the device).

It's pretty much hobbled in this regard... imagine if the iPod couldn't play "normal" mp3 files and could only play mp3 files that have a specific copy-protection layer embedded in them: This would mean it couldn't play the mp3 files you've made from the CDs you own, actual mp3 recordings that you've made, or the non-copy protected mp3s that artists make available on their websites and MySpace pages, not to mention the scads of non-legit music files you may have. It would be pretty limited and doesn't make a lot of sense but that's pretty much the iPod's video capabilities in a nutshell.

MJB

Quote from: zuludelta on April 02, 2008, 01:08:36 PM
What kind of problems are you having? If it's the video and audio not synching up, I think the problem might be that there's some fidelity loss in the step between going from the DVD files (the VOB files) and going directly to MP4 using Videora. My suggestion is to first convert the VOB info into an mpeg file, and then convert the mpeg file to MP4.

The initial problem was that the DVDx program used all my resources and was painfully long in the conversion time. The first movie that I tried the method with took over 3 1/2 hours to convert to a mpeg. Once it was converted it only took minutes to convert it to a MP4. All together with DVD decrypt, DVDx and Videora total conversion time for a 1:40 minute movie was close to 5 hours. :|

After getting frustrated I re-read the guide you linked to. Going step by step and bypassing the painful mpeg conversion I had my first speedy success. I was able to convert a movie that was a little over 1 1/2 hours in length in about 55-65 mins total conversion time.

The beauty of this method is that in the end I get a shiny MP4 of the movie that is compatible with both iPod and the kids PSP. :)

Thanks again Zulu. :mjb:

-MJB

zuludelta

Quote from: MJB on April 02, 2008, 02:17:20 PM
Quote from: zuludelta on April 02, 2008, 01:08:36 PM

The initial problem was that the DVDx program used all my resources and was painfully long in the conversion time. The first movie that I tried the method with took over 3 1/2 hours to convert to a mpeg. Once it was converted it only took minutes to convert it to a MP4. All together with DVD decrypt, DVDx and Videora total conversion time for a 1:40 minute movie was close to 5 hours. :|

Sorry about throwing in the mpeg conversion step in there... looks like it gave you more trouble than it was worth.  :doh:

I suggested it because from reading many topics on that subject, it seems like many people have synchronization problems with Videora (especially with newer DVDs), and that the most common solution is to convert the VOB files to an interim mpeg format first before going to MP4. On a related note, what machine are you working on (if you don't mind my asking)? I've got a pokey (by today's standards) 1.8 Ghz Sempron with a gig of old DDR1 RAM and it takes me about 3 hours to convert a 90 minute movie to mpeg, so I'm surprised it took you that long.

Glad the original guide worked for you :thumbup:

GogglesPizanno

QuoteIt's [iPod] pretty much hobbled in this regard...

That coupled with my dislike of iTunes is the main reason I didn't get an iPod.
Don't get me wrong, from a player standpoint, they are solid, intuitive and nice. But I don't like it when companies are locked into either limited or proprietary formats (ie. Apple and Sony) or cripple the things because they are afraid users might do something "against the rules."

In any case I know the whole conversion process regardless of the final destination can be a pain and often tedious endeavor... I find that each person finds their own process that works for them and what they are trying to accomplish.

So I'm glad it all worked out... One final bit of advice that I have found to be true regardless. Once you've found a sytem that works, dont be quick to jump on any upgrade or update. They tend to break a process more than not. So make sure at the least if you ever upgrade software or try something new, until you can confirm that it still works ok, keep the old version archived somewhere. Ive had to go back to old versions of software for this stuff more times than I can count.

zuludelta

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on April 02, 2008, 03:09:11 PM
QuoteIt's [iPod] pretty much hobbled in this regard...

That coupled with my dislike of iTunes is the main reason I didn't get an iPod.
Don't get me wrong, from a player standpoint, they are solid, intuitive and nice. But I don't like it when companies are locked into either limited or proprietary formats (ie. Apple and Sony) or cripple the things because they are afraid users might do something "against the rules."

At the risk of veering off-topic, I'd just like to say that Apple head honcho Steve Jobs has gone on the record saying that he doesn't want the iPod stuck playing only copy-protected material (including video contained in copy-protection enabled containers like MP4 and H.264), but I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned elsewhere that part of the reason that they intentionally limited the iPod's video-playing capability is because of pressure from the movie industry.   

As for Sony, I liked their proprietary ATRAC3 compression system (to this day, I think it's one of the better-sounding "lossy" audio compression formats... it sounds better than equivalent bit-rate mp3 files and is roughly equivalent to WMA, LAME variable bit-rate mp3, and AAC). But making it so that their early MiniDisc players could only play ATRAC3 and uncompressed audio was a big mistake. You had to use the bundled-in SonicStage program to convert mp3 files into ATRAC3 files, and SonicStage is probably one of the worst "big name" crap bloatware I've ever had the displeasure of using (think iTunes, but much much worse... it didn't work with certain audio chipsets and soundcards, would frequently crash, etc.). I know they've since improved the program, but I gave up on SonicStage and the ATRAC3 format years ago. 

GogglesPizanno

<threadjack>

Quote...part of the reason that they intentionally limited the iPod's video-playing capability is because of pressure from the movie industry.

Oh I know thats a huge part of it. But for me its a catch-22 problem. By supporting a good product that HAD to bend over for the MPAA or RIAA, is in my mind supporting the notion that the MPAA or RIAA are right... so I cant support what is otherwise a solid product -- even if they fundamentally may agree with my POV. Cursed ideology... :banghead:

QuoteAs for Sony, I liked their proprietary ATRAC3 compression system (to this day, I think it's one of the better-sounding "lossy" audio compression formats... it sounds better than equivalent bit-rate mp3 files and is roughly equivalent to WMA, LAME variable bit-rate mp3, and AAC). But making it so that their early MiniDisc players could only play ATRAC3 and uncompressed audio was a big mistake.

I still have my old Sony MiniDisc recorder that I use for location recording from time to time, and I agree totally.

But thats my beef. Sony occasionally comes up with pretty decent technology... they just assume that once the world sees it, no-one would want to use anything else so why bother supporting any other formats. And when that doesn't happen, they spend all their energy trying to show us why they are right and others are wrong until they finally eventually give in -- usually with any good will long squandered.

</threadjack>

So Anyhoo... Good luck with the DVD encoding!  :D

MJB

Quote from: zuludelta on April 02, 2008, 03:03:31 PM
On a related note, what machine are you working on (if you don't mind my asking)? I've got a pokey (by today's standards) 1.8 Ghz Sempron with a gig of old DDR1 RAM and it takes me about 3 hours to convert a 90 minute movie to mpeg, so I'm surprised it took you that long.

2.41 ghz AMD Athlon with 3 gigs of RAM.

-MJB

JeyNyce

There is a program out there that lets you "backup" your DVDs and/ or convert them for the ipod, xbox 360, psp, and others.  Being a Mod, I won't speak too much about the software, but email me and I'll tell you more about it.

Midnight

I use DVDShrink and Handbrake personally. Handbrake has an iPod preset I believe.

Uncle Yuan

I've been trying the method outlined in the link zd posted, but the decryption is getting hung up on a read error and won't progress.  There is a single, pretty significant scratch on the disc, but at last viewing it played fine.  Would I have better luck if I took the time to rip the movie first?

Middy - the Handbrake program - is that a one-stop-shop, or do I need both of the programs you listed?

Protomorph

Encoding a disc on the fly is very hard on your DVDROM drive. I would suggest to always rip the movie to the hard drive first. That's usually the first big hurdle anyway. If your disc is scratched, you may have problems, as any encoding/ripping process will need ALL of the data. DVD players have the ability to gloss over bad patches during playback, so as to not be noticeable. If your scratch is that bad, you may need to get it resurfaced/buffed.

JeyNyce