• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Wolverine and the X-Men

Started by detourne_me, September 28, 2007, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

detourne_me

[spoiler]i thought this was the best episode yet. like spider-man,  it's getting better as the show goes on i think.
i really think the magneto fight was excellent,  everyone's powers looked great, even the subtle things like coming out of the cloaked blackbird were cool. and the astonishing x-men corridor scene was good too.
about magneto calling off the fight so quickly,  i bet he was just toying with them the whole time, knowing they came for charles.
i was surprised to see that the seasons storyline will be about preventing an imperfect future, i guess that echoes more of the current comic storyline (but of course they can insert a days of future past homage), i think they might be able to work cable in somehow,  but i doubt it with jean missing.
i initially thought when the xavier apparition appeared that they would be introducing the shi'ar, and jean was spirited away to become the phoenix or something...

otherwise i really like the team lineup now, with warren becoming a bigger cast member, i'm looking forward to colossus' introduction, and seeing if there will be a peter-kitty-bobby love triangle/play for affections
[/spoiler]

crimsonquill

Quote from: detourne_me on September 23, 2008, 08:13:44 PM
[spoiler]
i initially thought when the xavier apparition appeared that they would be introducing the shi'ar, and jean was spirited away to become the phoenix or something...
[/spoiler]

There are alot of rumors running amok since a few countries are up to the 8th episode by now.. and some of the production crew have spilled a few of the beans annonymously via forums here and there... as far as Jean is concerned...

[spoiler]Around the 19th or 20th episode there is a show called "Phoenix Host" or "Phoenix Rising" which has Cyclops dealing with horrible nightmares of what happened with Jean and during a mission against Juggernaut his powers start acting up and he starts doubting his leadership abilities under his current mental state. Emma offers to purge the painful memories of Jean from Scott but as she starts sorting thru his memories the events of the disaster at the mansion are slowly revealed. A powerful extraterestrial presence attacks the mansion and an image of a firey bird exploding thru everything and rising above the mansion.[/spoiler]

- CQ

Podmark

Actually crimsonquill, one of the countries will be done the series by next week. They were blowing through them 4 times a week - to the dismay of writer Greg Johnson.

Previsionary

Quote from: Podmark on September 23, 2008, 10:00:52 PM
Actually crimsonquill, one of the countries will be done the series by next week. They were blowing through them 4 times a week - to the dismay of writer Greg Johnson.

Ill confirm this. Brazil is at episode 20 or so now.

[spoiler]During cyclops's angsty episode...well...you know...Sinister...so you can expect...yep.[/spoiler]

Previsionary

episode 4 has premiered on YTV. Any thoughts?

[spoiler]Yay for a Storm episode. Having already spoiled myself on a good deal of the season, I wasn't shocked by anything and the shadow king/storm connection is almost as played out as the Phoenix Saga.......I like how Wolverine's attitude has begun to reinsert itself because he was kind of tame in episode 1 and 2. Shadowking...I dont think I like his design here much at all. But anyway, I enjoy most episodes that show Storm as a powerhouse instead of the "I faint a lot" syndrome she, Susan, and Jean had in the 90s. That's one thing I can say about the latest toons, the women are shown as true powerhouses.[/spoiler]

herodad1

anything yet about the hulk episode?are any episodes on u-tube?

Ares_God_of_War

I tried searching and couldnt find any there unfortunately :( I would like to see this show

Previsionary

you got 4 weeks to wait before the english version of the hulk episode is even available in Canada...

BWPS

I don't really understand why the US has to wait for this show other than perhaps they're trying to release it with the new Wolverine movie. But that's a stupid reason.

Previsionary

It wouldnt matter when it cames out if it and Ironman are going to be on an obscure digital only channel...but by the time it comes out, most users will probably make the switch...so maybe they're accounting for that?

[spoiler]You might see A certain bone related mutant and you might witness some black costumes come into play. I expect Pod to know what I'm referring to. :P[/spoiler]

Podmark

Yeah the US is waiting to release with the Wolverine movie to maximize ratings.

Saw the latest one.
[spoiler]I hate the Shadowking and I'm not a big Storm fan so this was a meh ep for me. Three great moments though; the Cyclops one, the Forge scene, and the Diamond form scene. [/spoiler]

Quote from: Previsionary on September 28, 2008, 05:09:26 PM
[spoiler]You might see A certain bone related mutant and you might witness some black costumes come into play. I expect Pod to know what I'm referring to. :P[/spoiler]

Hmm not sure what you mean prev. Unless you're talking about:
[spoiler]X-Force??[/spoiler]

Previsionary

Quote from: Podmark on September 28, 2008, 09:02:28 PM

Quote from: Previsionary on September 28, 2008, 05:09:26 PM

Hmm not sure what you mean prev. Unless you're talking about:
[spoiler]X-Force??[/spoiler]

(*GASP*)

[spoiler]I'm not saying X-force...I'm just saying the costumes...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Cause you know...that team wears black[/spoiler]

[spoiler]and they wear them for stealth missions, so maybe...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]you'll see them in the toon...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]look, if you click the next tag, you're only hurting yourself[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Do Not Click![/spoiler]

Podmark

[spoiler]ooooo :thumbup:[/spoiler]

Mystik

you can watch it at veoh.com just search for it

Talavar

I thought this was kind of a meh episode myself - the only characters that do anything useful are Emma and Storm.  It seems like a bad idea to give a team-based show a threat most of the characters can't even see, let alone combat.

Podmark

Quote from: Talavar on September 29, 2008, 09:23:20 PM
I thought this was kind of a meh episode myself - the only characters that do anything useful are Emma and Storm.  It seems like a bad idea to give a team-based show a threat most of the characters can't even see, let alone combat.

Yeah I pretty much agree. It's why I don't like the Shadow King as a villain.

Previsionary

I'd agree as well except it's more or less a focus episode so I didn't expect much. Just like you shouldn't expect team action when the other focus episodes come around. Besides that, it happens in the comics all so often. ^^

Previsionary

WatX #5- Thieves Gambit

Well, this came out yesterday. I have to say that the opening was like a homage to XML. It was pretty cool to see. Oh, all zero of you Gambit fans will be happy to know he shows up in this episode and he WILL appear again. As for his voice...I think it sounds pretty similar to the old 90s TAS version.

I think it was an ok episode, but it's a wolverine/gambit teamup and because I'm barely fond of either character, it sits at a mediocre mark for me. At least they didn't show Gambit as evil or good...just a thief that sides with money...kinda.

Talavar

For another episode that most of the team sits out, this was better done than the previous episode.  If you aren't going to have anything for your characters to do - don't bother including them.

Since I personally hate Gambit, this episode wasn't really up my ally, but it wasn't bad.  One quibble though: while I know that Wolverine will never be able to just stab someone since this is a kids' show, it bugs me when characters in-show seem to know that as well.  Twice in this episode Gambit basically ignores Wolverine's claws at his throat - he might as well have been threatening Gambit with wet noodles for all the good it did. 

qazwsx

Cyclops completely disappeared from that episode. And one of the most irritating things with wolverine really come into it's own this episode-His constant unsheathing of his claws for "effect". It is completely absurd, often times you'll notice that he had just unsheathed it seconds earlier, he then does it again and again without even sheathing it first. :lol: No doubt the animation is brilliant in this though, but I wish they'd stop using "energy bullets" just for once... Wolverine's characterization also seems a little off doncha think? Seems to me like it's Scott and Logan rolled into one and even in Evolution he was more angsty. It's odd though, that they make him this nice guy and then make him do these out of character things(out of THIS character that is) like scratching the Blackbird to torture forge and seriously hurting the gateman unprovoked :huh: Those seemed totally uncalled for. Speaking of forge, why the heck is he building all these world-leading devices for the x-men while being treated like trash? I mean seriously he's not even really part of the team, he just works and works for them, what's his incentive, is he even paid? He even does the washing of the blackbird for god's sake! Kinda like Alfred but without any sense. It'd be interesting if he turns on the x-men however :thumbup:

Previsionary

WatX #6: X-Calbre

This is probably my favorite episode out of the English releases. I loved how effective and smart they made NC and how NC was able to encourage some of the other mutants in this episode. One of those mutants is Pixie, so that should make Poddy happy.

[spoiler]I wasn't even annoyed by the presence of Mojo and Spiral. I think they were used effectively in this episode. I especially liked the fight scene near the end.[/spoiler]

However, I do question the planning behind their episode lineup. Basically four focus episodes with very little actual X-team involvement. I think I would have, you know, actually have used the X-men (team) a bit more by now...but...I love NC and I liked the little touches of humor in this episode.

Podmark

Yeah Nightcrawler was pretty awesome in this. Maybe a little too awesome. He beat everyone!

We seem to be in the fillerish introduce the characters part of the series, which I'm finding a mite blah. Once the plot starts moving I expect this series will really get good.

Talavar

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the last two, mainly because Gambit is lame and Nightcrawler is great, and the Storm episode really was kind of weak.

[spoiler]
Normally I hate Mojo and all things associated with Mojo, but this episode was good enough that it even overcame my Mojo-prejudice.
[/spoiler]

Ajax

Interesting story plotting for a series. [spoiler]It is juggling three different "main plots at once" with no real rush to actually address any of em. I mean they set up the anti-mutant Trask/Kelly storyline, end of the world Prof X and whoever tried to off him storyline, and the "where in the world is Jean Gray". Now they have mojo, which may or may not be continued in the next ep. Who are they writing this series for?[/spoiler]

Spoiler tagged just in case.

Previsionary

MMk, I'm gonna address your spoiler generally, Ajax, so I don't hurt anyone who wants to stay spoiler free. They're building up several stories and actually setting up a lot of season two in the first season episodes (imo at least).

[spoiler]They'll get to Jean around episodes 10-12 with Cyclops and Emma heading that. That story continues until the finale and Emma plays a big part in that. Xavier and what he's doing in the future with some other X-characters will appear soonish. IIRC, it begins JUST after the Hulk/Wolverine episode. Senator Kelly and all that jazz is mentioned throughout the season and really comes to head by the end. Mojo and NC is addressed very soon as well. Not next episode, but soon enough. NC actually needs to land in genosha and setup shop first and, iirc, the X-men play a part in that episode (Mojo centric one). I think it's mid-season actually.[/spoiler]

It's like older comics that would build up stories throughout the year and then focus on them when the plot REALLY called for it. They're setting up a lot, but I assure you it all gets addressed and some of the plotlines even tie together. I'm just gonna warn you, don't expect every major plot point to be continuously addressed episode after episode. It's not going to really work that way until pretty much later in the season when everything begins to tie up.

ETA: Actually, in that aspect, it's similar to some of the 90s shows and even Evo that set up some pretty long term stories throughout each season, but didn't continuously address them until it was really needed. Using X-men TAS for example. Morph wasn't addressed again until season 2 and Beast was seen irregularly throughout season 1 of the show until his release. Pretty much the same deal, me thinks. Like most ensemble shows, which i classify this show as, it jumps around.

Podmark

I'm really getting anxious for the main plot to get started in this series. I know every first season starts this way with a bunch of one shot episodes introducing the characters, but this is the third X-Men cartoon I've seen. I know all these guys so I'm kinda anxious for the meat of the series, and I know this show has it (thank you South America  :rolleyes:)

[spoiler]So Hulk rematch episode was on tonight. Wolverine vs Hulk vs Wendigos (yes thats right plural). It's a full Wolverine solo ep which will annoy some but I'm ok with it. Wolverine is coerced by Fury to take out the Hulk for reasons I didn't totally catch. There's some kinda double cross going on, I think Shield created Wendigo and set up both Hulk and Wolverine to take it out when it got out of control. The episode's alright but nothing special either. I'm a bit annoyed that they went the 'evil' Shield route especially if it doesn't get picked up again. Still seeing the Hulk is kinda cool.

I do have one big complaint though. They messed up Fury. They went with the black Ultimate style Fury which I prefer but they didn't make him look like Sam Jackson. It's somekind of frightening combination of 616 Fury and Sam Jackson Fury. Ok thats annoying but ultimately acceptable, they have their own take on him, but the thing that really got me is that his eye patch was on the WRONG side! I was half expecting him to turn out to be the Chameleon. It shouldn't be a big deal but it drove me nuts all episode, it just looked so wrong.

Anyway that's the end of my little rant there. I'm hoping we get some team episodes soon. We've only had like 2 true team eps so far. [/spoiler]

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Previsionary on October 16, 2008, 10:34:01 PM
ETA: Actually, in that aspect, it's similar to some of the 90s shows and even Evo that set up some pretty long term stories throughout each season, but didn't continuously address them until it was really needed. Using X-men TAS for example. Morph wasn't addressed again until season 2 and Beast was seen irregularly throughout season 1 of the show until his release. Pretty much the same deal, me thinks. Like most ensemble shows, which i classify this show as, it jumps around.

You`ve sparked up a topic I`m actually quite passionate about, Pre. I`m actually a really big fan of that style of plotting. It`s probably because some of my favorite cartoons I grew up on were the 90`s Spider-Man, Gargoyles, and Reboot. I actually took for granted that kind of plotting and when I finally started watching Batman TAS for the first time, in syndication years ago it was over, I was a little dissappointed because I was used to these big myth arc plots that built up over the course of the series and would provide a big climatic season or series finale. I prefer the later JLU and X-Men Evo seasons for that very reason. I found X-Men Evo got good (`grew the beard, as it`s known in some circles) once Wanda was introduced and Magneto became more important to the plot instead of just a kind of background element to the show. When Apocalpse showed up and the show became about beating him, I found myself liking the show a lot more. Spectacular Spider-Man indulges in this kind of plotting a lot which is probably why I was so impressed by it when I first watched it.

All of the above shows, even Gargoyles, with the arguable exception of Spectacular Spidey, started out with a first season that was mostly stand alone stories meant to get the viewer used to the characters. If you miss some episodes you won`t be lost, that sort of thing. But as the show would go on, and they`d round the second and third season, they`d use many of the ideas introduced in these early one-shot episodes for a bigger arc. A great example is the Cadmus arc in JLU. It looks like this show is kinda half-doing that. I very much expect the plots will be much more connected in the later seasons (Pre might know the answer to that already ;) ), especially since some of the guy who did X-Men Evo do this show as well.

Talavar

Hah! 'Grown the beard,' I love it.  I haven't heard that one in a while. 

X-men Evolution definitely improved as it went along - it had a quite weak first season, in my opinion, but picked up the longer it was on the air.  I don't think it ever became a great show though - it was hampered by design choices from early on, and some forced humour.

So Wolvie & the X-men did air on YTV on the weekend though?  Something must have screwed up with my PVR.  Darn.

Previsionary

Dunno, I haven't seen many people talk about it. It's gotten mixed reactions from what I have seen and, Talavar, I think you'll be annoyed with Wolvie and his claws in this partic. episode. :P

threshold

What's the deal with the latest episode?  I cannot find it anywhere  :angry:

|