• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

ff3 wishlist

Started by triviaman, July 30, 2007, 04:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triviaman

Now I know that there is a chance that there will never be another sequel but is there was one what would one wish it to have/have not.

although it has had fun with the golden age and the silver age I don't think it's time to move on to modern age yet but should rather stay in the silver age and explore so...
-Team-up: Super villain team up's would be welcome or they might even take it a step further and go all Legion of Doom, imagine Lord Dominion organising Nuclear Winter, Deja Vu and Shadow to take down ff.
-No need to introduce a bunch of new villains or heroes for that matter, you got a good cast, stick with it.
-Have more of the ''everyday'' missions like in  :ff:.
-Make character creation even simpler and allow flight animation to be added inside the game so one does not have to tumble with external programs.
-very small thing but it annoys me, put back the stationary/unmovable active defence. it looked really weird to see NW walk around with his ice shell.

So like I said this is just ''what if..'' and probably have been done before but what story lines and game changes would you like to see? 

YoungHeros

My wishlist is something like this:

-Able to fight in the air
-A Mental and Mystical damage type that can make make damage
-Able to dodge beam attacks

and your wishes ^_^

i just LOVE "everyday" miissions :D

Manfred

I would like to see a massive change in the game that would result in a more free-roaming RPG environment like Morrowind:  quests and villains could be tackled at one's own liesure, rather than through level by level game play.  And it would HAVE to have a game editor/mod creator like the TES Construction Set that came with Morrowind.  It would make modding easier for most folks, though I wouldn't want it to cheapen the efforts of the FF modders out there (I'm amazed at how much these games have been stretched due to all your efforts, guys). 

I've often wanted to do a total conversion mod for MW to be modern day superhero type game, but that's such a massive undertaking it's still a just a dream.  Maybe we'll see something like it one day.

catwhowalksbyhimself

A re-jiggling of the powers system.  Instead of picking the attack type and intensity, you would now separate the effect (damage, gradual damage, stasis, ect.) from the damage type (crusting, mystical, ect) with primary and secondary effect possible.  So now any type could have any effect.  This would make it much more versatile.  Now mystical could damage, you could have a crushing stasis to represent ropes better, ect.

Epimethee

My wishlist:

1. Any FF3 at all.

2. A deeper creative experience. How many other games can boast of stimulating your creative side like FF does? Let's push it:

- Better scripting and modding capabilities. (As an aside, Manfred mentioned Morrowind's modding tools: While they're extremely impressive and make some aspects of modding much easier, and do lower the entry point, personally I feel they tend to limit the possibilities. The amount of quality user-content produced for MW is staggering, but the truly unique mod is  almost absent. Still, Morrowind... hmm, I'm feeling the itch. Must... not... succumb...)

- Better in-game customization tools.

- Comic-book creation tools, replay camera, etc.

3. A deeper RTS experience. More of a X-Com/Patriot City/Open-ended/Morrowindish feeling.

4. A deeper super-heroic experience. Punching bad guys with poles and throwing cars at them is great, but there are many other classic super-hero moves.

5. A deeper RPG experience. Revamped powers/attributes with development branching, base-building, etc. Start simple, give more choice as the player get used to the game.

6. A more immersive universe. Better camera, better AI, more interactive environment.

7. A deeper action-oriented experience. Combo moves, anyone?

8. A deeper single-player experience... No multiplayer (yeah, sure)! Of course, MP could be great fun in FF. However, IG ended up spending a large portion of their FFvsTTR effort on it for limited results. This time could have been spent making a better single player game, especially since they had to nerf/remove/complicate quite a few things for the sake of preventing MP exploits. Note to game developpers: Morrowind and Oblivion seem to have managed to break even without MP. ;)

"You may say I'm a dreeeameeer but I'm not the onlyyy oooone..."

Manfred

QuoteManfred mentioned Morrowind's modding tools: While they're extremely impressive and make some aspects of modding much easier, and do lower the entry point, personally I feel they tend to limit the possibilities. The amount of quality user-content produced for MW is staggering, but the truly unique mod is  almost absent.

Very good point, which is why everything that has been accomplished with FF in the modding community has been so impressive!

These are some awesome ideas, and I love the idea of combo moves!

So given all the above (and what's to follow), when are we all forming our software company?  :D

Epimethee

Quote from: Manfred on July 31, 2007, 07:39:14 AMSo given all the above (and what's to follow), when are we all forming our software company?  :D
You take care of that "cow flash" thingie and we're all in! :D

(Erm... something like "cow flash" anyway... "cosh flaw"? "crash frow"? "catch blow"?...)

Indigo

I wish for airborne melee fight, characters to be able to carry other characters and throw them (good for hulking characters) and all maps for FF be converted for FFvT3R to be used for Rumble Room :thumbup:

Epimethee, is FFX still active or in state of hybernation?

Symon

Quote from: Epimethee on July 30, 2007, 07:09:10 PM
As an aside, Manfred mentioned Morrowind's modding tools: While they're extremely impressive and make some aspects of modding much easier, and do lower the entry point, personally I feel they tend to limit the possibilities. The amount of quality user-content produced for MW is staggering, but the truly unique mod is  almost absent. Still, Morrowind... hmm, I'm feeling the itch. Must... not... succumb...

They win some, they lose some:-

The scripting language is pretty poor. We are much better off with Python.
Effects meshes are to all intents and purposes not available.
We seem to have more top-flight skinners and meshers. The best for Morrowind are just as good as our best, but they seem thinner on the ground, at least these days.
Morrowind does not have the masses of alternate keyframes we have. Not sure why.
The Morrowind construction set, despite appearances is not easy to use. It has numerous gotchas. For example, the classic newbie mistake is to change the contents of an empty crate.... and change every empty crate in the world! They are different to our tools, but not better.
Interestingly, most FF/FF3R mods add new things (skins, meshes, scenarios, effects, FFX!!!!!).
Fully half of Morrowinds replace Bathesda music, tools, parts of the game engine, meshes and textures. When you think that Morrowind came out about the same time as FF, the meshes and skins leave.....much to be desired. Some think them truly aweful.

Where it really scores big is the open-endedness. Something I'd hoped FF3R would have and still dream of in an FF3.

Epimethee

Quote from: Indigo on July 31, 2007, 07:51:58 PMEpimethee, is FFX still active or in state of hybernation?
Well, the FFX team haven't come together to officially work on version 3.3 yet. But, hey, FFX 3.2, released last May (you got it, haven't you?) took us a year of work, so give us a bit of time to enjoy summer (if the workload allows it...) before getting back to coding. ;)

Still, I'd guess everyone on the team probably has a thing or two in the works. And let's not forget that Taskmaster has released a version 3.2.1 along with a major update to his hero files, plus some prototype attributes in the Scripting forum.

catwhowalksbyhimself

In addition, I'm about ready to add some new characters to Liberty Bay which will have their own custom state swaps and attributes, some of which may be added to FFX

Boalt92

QuoteYou may say I'm a dreeeameeer but I'm not the onlyyy oooone..."

It almost sounds like you're describing Neverwinter Nights 1

Somebody released a "modern" mod for it that is a base for a new game engine.  There's tons of custom content for this game, heavy rpg aspect, interactive henchmen for rts, and great MP support....

...but the graphics are kinda weak.

B92

BentonGrey

Three words....old-energy-system.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'd rather see a hybrid.

The bar system is a good idea.  It lets you know exactly how much energy you have and how much energy a given power costs.  3 bars is, however, too few.  I'd say 5 would have worked out pretty well.

triviaman

I second the old-energy-system.

Symon

We'd want the MAX files of course. It's still a source of irritation that they were never released for FF3R.

As an aside, Bathesda didn't release any MAX files for Morrowind. One reason why new Morrowind KF files are very rare.

Previsionary

Quote from: Symon on August 04, 2007, 04:38:45 PM
We'd want the MAX files of course. It's still a source of irritation that they were never released for FF3R.

As an aside, Bathesda didn't release any MAX files for Morrowind. One reason why new Morrowind KF files are very rare.

correction: Some max files were released with ffvttr. The new custom heroes had max files...but the new official heroes and villains didnt...and by that point, FFans barely updated the main page of the site like they did with the original FF, so...not a huge surprise for lack of new max files.

BTW, I seem to recall seeing Ken Levine on the tele mentioning his fave games. I was kinda hoping he'd mention FF, but no such luck. Oh well.

Symon

Quote from: Previsionary on August 04, 2007, 05:01:36 PM
correction: Some max files were released with ffvttr. The new custom heroes had max files..

BTW, I seem to recall seeing Ken Levine on the tele mentioning his fave games. I was kinda hoping he'd mention FF, but no such luck. Oh well.

True. I was expecting all the rest to follow.

Hmm, doesn't bode well does it?

Street_Wolf

Ohhhhh boy, so many things I want!  :P

-IN-GAME tools. I'd love to see an in-game skin painter and possibly mesh maker. (The in-game mesh maker would be City of Heroes like, so it pretty much pieces together different small meshes and 'welds' them together to make a character. Might take a little bit of recoding, but would be great for us simpler people :P. Meshers could then make individual pieces instead of whole meshes that have slight variations. Also, an ingame animation creator. The three together would allow one to make an outright new character without ever leaving the game.

-Have many new types of attributes (like FFX) built into the game.

-Able to adjust flying height. Instead of hitting just hitting 'Fly Here' on the ground and end up flying a little ways off teh ground, I'd like the option to have two options come up while flying, those be 'Fly Higher', and 'Fly Lower'.

-Have a MASSIVE library of FX. This means give every effect color variations and give all sorts of different new FX.

-This one might go against everything the story mood is based on, but I want the cheesy dialog to be cut entirely. I want a little more serious talking as opposed to the matching first letter talking.

-See first suggestion.

-New types of attacks. Also, major and minor effect for attacks. The minor effect being optional, and also adding a good amount of prestige to the power, as well as being toned down.. By this I mean the major (main) effect may be piercing (for example). You set the damage for it. The minor (secondary) effect may be Heat. (It's a flaming sword/bullet/ whatever). Even if it's set to Extreme, it would only do about as much damage as a Major Heat effect set at Medium.

-See sixth suggestion.

Symon

Quote from: Street_Wolf on August 04, 2007, 11:10:47 PM
The in-game mesh maker would be City of Heroes like, so it pretty much pieces together different small meshes and 'welds' them together to make a character. Might take a little bit of recoding, but would be great for us simpler people :P. Meshers could then make individual pieces instead of whole meshes that have slight variations. Also, an ingame animation creator. The three together would allow one to make an outright new character without ever leaving the game.

I hope the City of Heroes segmented meshes are better than the Morrowind ones! They are too obscenely ugly to use! To cap it all they are supposed to be higher poly than FF meshes!

Now the Better Bodies technique would be a better way. Armour pieces are rendered instead of parts of a physiqued mesh. Clothing/armour as clothing is rendered on top of the body. It still stuns me that a few fans came up with this elegant method but a large software house (Bathesda) could not!

As for an in-game animation builder, that sounds like rather a tall order I'm afraid, and I suspect it would make make your desired mesh builder impractical. Keyframes are dependent upon the mesh they are for remember.

Street_Wolf

In all honesty, I don't think it would be too hard. I play(ed) a game called Second Life. Maybe you've heard of it? They released a small and easy to use program that allowed you to make animations for your character.

The way it worked was there was a big screen in the middle with a poseable figure. To move it, you clicked on different part of the figure and dragged left and right, or up and down, the figure moved in different ways. On the bottom of the screen was a timeline. The figure would move it's joints between frames you make, so if you were to make the figure's position still at the start, but at the end of the line, have the figure in some weird pose, the figure would move in a choppy kind of motion. However, if you were to add more frames in throughout the line, the aniamtion would look smothher. The whole process for a decent animation would take maybe ten minutes. Twenty minutes if you wanted to fine tune it, and a half hour maybe if you wanted a drawn out, elaborate animation.

I think having a simple tool like that would be great. Also, to make it fit for FF, there would be two really simple drop down menus at the top. The first would let you select the mesh you wanted the animation for. (And so the figure in the middle would also change to show the character.) and the second dropdown menu would select what type of animation it is supposed to be. (ie. melee, ranged/hovering, fly, special, etc)

In short, it'd have 4 parts:

-Select Character Dropdown Menu

-Select Animation Name (Melee, ranged. . . )

-Main Screen where you drag body parts

-Timeline at the bottom in which you could select a point in time to work from.

Street_Wolf

Oh, sweet! :) I found the site.

http://www.avimator.com/

Just look at the right and download the one that matches your computer. (Windows, Mac, Linux). It should be a quick download. Toy around with it a little bit, and you'll know what I was trying to explain in my above post  :D

Previsionary

I don't know how second life meshes are made, *calling syn*, but FF relies on nifs and I don't think SL does. And, as Symon said, keyframes for one mesh won't work for another unless they were specifically made for a certain build of a mesh (IE: male basic kfs work for all male basic derivatives). So, for that kind of thing to work with the current system, the editor would have to effectively be able to open max files and edit the keyframe animations then spit it back out as a new file. Now, if we're talking a new system, I think that kind of thing would require the game to take on a new look and feel....like a total customization game with "wysiwyg" tools and those games don't draw a lot of attention from the non-customizing crowd (RPG-maker and Fighter Maker come to mind) and it would effectively kill backwards compatibility...something that was/is already complained about before and after the converters.

Street_Wolf

But I'm not saying to just slightly alter the program that SL uses and plug it into FF3, I'm saying to take the concept and use it for a simple to use in game animation maker.

GogglesPizanno

Its a neat idea on the surface, but I think it would put too much limitation on the types of meshes people could create if they were limited to a single type of bone rigging. You couldn't do a Doc Ock, or fancy spider-man etc... cause a generic universal animation setup cant account for those weird meshes that have non standard joints or attachments.

For something like Second Life or the Sims its fine, for something based on a comic book, not so much.

Think about it this way.
When FF first came out they gave us like 8 different meshes to play with.
Imagine the game today if we only had those 8 meshes to use...
There are a lot of characters that would have gotten short changed or not done at all if we had been stuck using just those "standard" meshes.

The universal animation thing suffers form a slightly different but similar kind of problem.

Previsionary

Quote from: Street_Wolf on August 05, 2007, 12:16:10 PM
But I'm not saying to just slightly alter the program that SL uses and plug it into FF3, I'm saying to take the concept and use it for a simple to use in game animation maker.

I didn't even suggest that. I was speaking generally, but to the point, I agree with goggles's previous post.

Symon

I'm sure people have looked at keyframes in NifSkope. Note how daunting they are to work with, and what a godsend M25s transfer tool is. A tool to fully manipulate keyframes as an addon to NifSkope would be great, but it would not be simple! A stand-alone tool would have to include much of NifSkopes functionality, so I don't see any advantage to that.

I understand the posters desire here, and sympathise, but suspect we would lose far more than we gained.

Symon

Quote from: Previsionary on August 05, 2007, 12:11:19 PM
And, as Symon said, keyframes for one mesh won't work for another unless they were specifically made for a certain build of a mesh (IE: male basic kfs work for all male basic derivatives).

Too true, and it's actually worse than that. Even if the 'builds' are identical, just one additional node (a sword say) will prevent the keyframe from working at all.

Lunarman

I wish for:

New updated physics engine:
More options in hero customization:
Knockback from flying objects:
More FX:
FFX included:
Old Energy system:

yell0w_lantern

Source code.
With source code, almost anything is possible.
Ask Ken for the source code since we're never going to a FF3 or even a patch for FF2.