• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

What's Time Master's dealio?

Started by udasu, February 27, 2007, 04:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

udasu

:ffvstr:

When you're using him against Entropy, he tells off Mentor, and calls him an Alien. So does that mean he, TM, is human? I always got the sense that he was an alien too. Does it make sense for an alien to call another alien an alien? Is it even worth discussing? It was funny, though. As was his banter with Sea Urchin.. "But I will... postpone your destruction for now." heh.. "Timey" <snort>..

stumpy

I'm a nerd, but I still sometimes call other people nerds.  :P

Blitzgott

Wasn't mentioned in the first game that Timemaster is a creation from the Domain?

Alaric

My impression fromt he first game, although I can't remember whether it was actually stated, was that Time AMaster was a human scientist affected by Energy X- just that he ended up far more powerful than the Domain had intended.

BentonGrey

I sort of got the impression that he was one of the Domain....

UnkoMan

Yeah, I was also under the impression that he was one of the Domain, and a scientist. Perhaps his preliminary experimenting with Energy X was what caused both their knowledge of it and its uses, and granted him his extraordinary powers. I did find him to be at least somewhat similar to them, facially.

stumpy

I'll have to say, if Timey was ever part of the Domain, it totally slipped past me. I always thought he was a scientist from the past who was slowly changed into Time Master by his research into immortality. If he was part of the Domain, it was never mentioned, as far as I can recall. The only connection between them is that Lord Dominion knows who Time Master is.

JKCarrier

Before 3rd Reich came out, my theory was that Man-Bot would stay stuck on the Cosmic Clock for so long that he'd eventually go insane and become Timemaster. Who would then go back in time to influence his past self and keep the cycle going, ala Warlock and the Magus...

stumpy

Hmm. Shades of DC's Cosmic Boy / Time Trapper. :) I wonder if there are other similarities between Time Master and Entropy and other DC/Marvel characters, e.g. the Time Trapper and Glorith...

Reepicheep

I always thought he was the random guy on death's row who lord dominion and Praetor took a good look at in Mantor's origin?

I suck at guessing.

stumpy

I am pretty sure that we never find out what becomes of Clubber Johnson, the death row inmate Lord Dominion talks about. I don't think we meet him in the campaign and I don't know that he ever gets powers. (He's not Pinstripe, a mistake people have made in the past. Pinstripe's name was Joey Rigotta.)

Time Master's origin lists him as having been "a powerful scientist from another time". It doesn't mention if he was human or even from Earth.

UnkoMan

It's definately up in the air beyond that. He could basically be from anywhere at any time. He could even be all Galactus and the last survivor of the previous universe.

Clubber Johnson was that inmate's name? What a sweet name... Somebody needs to come up with an awesome story for him, for real.

Toxic_J

Quote from: udasu on February 27, 2007, 04:09:20 PM
:ffvstr:

When you're using him against Entropy, he tells off Mentor, and calls him an Alien. So does that mean he, TM, is human? I always got the sense that he was an alien too. Does it make sense for an alien to call another alien an alien? Is it even worth discussing? It was funny, though. As was his banter with Sea Urchin.. "But I will... postpone your destruction for now." heh.. "Timey" <snort>..
Why can't an alien call another alien, alien? I'm pretty sure when aliens see humans they'll call us alien because we are alien to them. Heck, I bet most women see men as aliens. :P

Blitzgott

The description says Timemaster is a "scientist from another time", so I'm probably wrong in my guess of him being a creation of the Domain.

Also, he told Man-Bot that, in his search for immortality, he spoke with shamans and mystics, so there's the possibility that he is an earthling; then again, maybe those mystics he spoke with were from another planet or something.

Guess we'll never know... unless Irrational makes Freedom Force 3. =O

udasu

Maybe an energy -x canister fell through Mentor's domain-earth time-space portal thingy when he got shot, and a canister fell into it, and into the future, where a scientist gets it and becomes Timey..? At that point, he can move back to 1962, 3, whenever, to consult mystics, shamans, tarot-folk....

Alaric

Quote from: udasu on March 01, 2007, 01:36:22 PM
Maybe an energy -x canister fell through Mentor's domain-earth time-space portal thingy when he got shot, and a canister fell into it, and into the future, where a scientist gets it and becomes Timey..? At that point, he can move back to 1962, 3, whenever, to consult mystics, shamans, tarot-folk....

If he's from the future, he could have just found some unused energy X canisters lying around from the '60s. Maybe he combined the energy X with some sort of time travel experiment... Lord Dominion could have detected the energy X on him and assumed that he was one of the criminals the Domain had subjected to energy X...

OutsiderNo11

The impression I got about him from the original game was that he was a human scientist by the name of Dr. Richard Chronos and was given a zap of Energy X.

stumpy

Quote from: OutsiderNo11 on March 24, 2007, 01:49:22 PM
The impression I got about him from the original game was that he was a human scientist by the name of Dr. Richard Chronos and was given a zap of Energy X.

:blink:

Was that in the 1.4 patch?

OutsiderNo11

Quote from: stumpy on March 24, 2007, 02:06:32 PM

If you check the database of characters, you usually got an in-depth biography of the character.  This was what it said for Timemaster in the original game.  At least that's what I remember, I could be wrong.  It has been awhile.

stumpy

This is what the first game says for Time Master:

Quote from: Freedom Force, databaseA POWERFUL SCIENTIST FROM ANOTHER TIME, THE TIME MASTER STILL LIVES IN FEAR OF HIS OWN MORTALITY. BUT HAVING DISCOVERED THE KEY TO HIS ETERNAL LIFE, HE HAS EMBARKED UPON A QUEST TO FIND A POWER-SOURCE MIGHTY ENOUGH TO ENACT HIS PLANS. TO THAT END, HE HAS OBSERVED THE MOVEMENT'S OF EARTH SUPER-POWERED BEINGS WITH GREAT INTEREST.

Tomato

My guess would be he got zapped by energy X, and recieved the ability to travel through time.However, he didn't cease to age, so he ran around the timestream learning as much as he could to figure it out.

Alaric

Quote from: OutsiderNo11 on March 24, 2007, 06:05:21 PM
Quote from: stumpy on March 24, 2007, 02:06:32 PM

If you check the database of characters, you usually got an in-depth biography of the character.  This was what it said for Timemaster in the original game.  At least that's what I remember, I could be wrong.  It has been awhile.

The original official site for the game had more detailed backgrounds of some of the characters (including some stuff that was changed before the game was released, as I recall). That may be what you're thinking of.

Previsionary

Here's the somewhat expanded bio from the official site. Though, I believe, like Alaric said; it was somewhat different some years ago.

Quote from: freedomfansWhile other villains attempt their climb to ultimate power, TimeMaster does not toil in such trivial matters. His only concern is the prolongation of his own miserable life. An aging scientist, Dr. Richard Chronus, obsessed with delaying his own death, managed to harness the power of Energy-X to become TimeMaster. Ironically, although he can control the very flow of time itself, he can't stop his own frail body from aging. It is this that drives him to put the entire universe at peril.

stumpy

Good catch, OutsiderNo11 et alia. I guess I never read through all the freedomfans bios. :oops:

The name does make it sound as though he was likely an Earther, though we don't know from what time period (or even if it was the FF campaign's Earth or some parallel one).

udasu

Wow, thanks for the search folks.