• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Of Alternate Realities and Artistic Challenges

Started by BentonGrey, April 16, 2007, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, this may be a tad unorthodox, but I have a suggestion for a contest of sorts.  As most of you know I've been working on my take on the DC Universe for some time.  I'm nearing the end of my first stage of production, and should have the beta ready before too agonizingly much longer (we'll see), but while I'm at work, the wheels in my head are usually grinding along with various story arcs and adventures for the 'comics' I want to release.  Today I had an idea for a JLA story arc involving Per Degaton and the Crime Syndicate of Amerika...well, I won't say too much more, but suffice to say that I would really love to include a broader look at their peculiar world, and not just their modern era either.

What I'm proposing is that we have a contest to redesign DC heroes (from any time except the Legion's) as anti-matter counterparts of themselves.  This can be actual skins (which I'd like, since I could include them), but also drawings, sketches, paintings, all art forms are welcome.  I'd encourage all takers to come up with a back story and power set for their characters, as the winners will be added into the DCUG mod for use in this future story...or just for anyone with a penchant for kicking the tar out of anti-matter duplicates. 

To get your wheels turning, there is a mention in the modern comics about a few different characters:

Dr. Noon=Dr. Midnite
White Cat=Black Canary
Spaceman=Starman

Also, a few suggestions have included the Venusian Womanhunter, etc.  Also, feel free to experiment with 'good' versions of DC villains, like the Justice Underground.  You can find some material to help you along here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_Syndicate_of_America

Okay everyone, I hope y'all are as excited about this as I am, I love the creativity of this community, and this is a chance for it to really shine.  Please post your character titles and ideas if you want to get involved.  Seeing as the actual mission that this would be part of is many moons away, this contest can stay open as long as there is interest.

Have fun!

:EDIT: Also, if you don't particularly feel your artistic talents up to the challenge, but want to contribute, fire off an idea or two, perhaps you'll inspire someone.

:EDIT 2: Here are characters that have already been done:

[spoiler]Superman-Ultraman
Batman-Owlman
Wonder Woman-Super Woman
Martian Manhunter-Venutian Womanhunter
Aquaman-Barracuda
Flash-Johnny Quick
Green Lantern-Power Ring
Supergirl-Ultragirl
Golden Age Flash
Golden Age Green Lantern
Heatwave-Fireshot
Dr. Light-Professor Radiant
Doctor Midnite-Dr. Noon
Robin-Redwing (or Talon)
Beast Boy-Creature (needs skin)
Cyborg-Robot (needs skin and better name)
Amazo-Ivodroid
Hawkman-Blood Eagle
Wildcat-Hellcat
Green Arrow-Deadshot
Riddler-Quizmaster
Atom-Nucleus
Professor Zoom-Dr. Speed
Star Sapphire-?

[/spoiler]

BatWing

sweet makin redesign dc heroes!!! :o

i'll get to thinking :huh:
great idea btw :thumbup:

juancho

:o :o :o i am really excited, i have some ideas flowing, we did something a bit similar to this in anotehr forum, but we did the j lords versions of the jla

BentonGrey

Thanks for the interest guys, I hope more of the community will share your enthusiasm!

Charmed

Hhhhmmmmmmmm......... Sounds interesting but I'm still a little shady on who we can pick.... (I know, it takes a few hits to get things through my fat skull :lol:)

BentonGrey

Wellllll.....anyone really, pick a DC comics hero (or villain) and design their evil (or good) counterpart.  It can be anyone from Mr. Miracle to The Atom.  It can be from the Golden Age or the modern, but if in doubt you can pick someone from cast of JLU, as I draw heavily from the Timmverse in my mod.

Charmed

BentonGrey

juancho

ok here is my first try
this is ultragirl, of course the CSA version of Kara Zor el Supergirl, i dont have a backstory but here is the design, both silver and gold, cause i was not sure wich one looked cooler

Let me know if you like it BG

BentonGrey

Hey Juancho, very nice!  She looks fantastic, and I think I like the gold a little better.  Would you mind if I took a crack at the back story? 

Ultragirl: Clark Kent's niece, Kara, was his only surviving relative, and she watched in horror the changes that came over him on his return to earth.  As his mind became more and more twisted by the anti-kryptonite embedded in his body, they drifted apart.  Finally, in despair, Kara volunteered for another space mission, hoping to find the alien who had 'repaired' him and convince it to reverse the process.  When she finally did discover Brainiac, the benign being told her that there was nothing he could do, but that he could offer her similar power.  Thinking that this might allow her to force her wayward uncle to see reason, she accepted the offer.  Now, just as warped as Clark, she serves as a member of the Young Offenders, an up-and-coming group of super beings who only await the right moment to destroy the Crime Syndicate.

FLASH_22798

:angry: photobucket block!   Can't see the skin from here!   But if it's from juancho, I'm sure it's pretty sweet on the eyes.

This is a really cool idea Benton.   I've always enjoyed attempting alternate versions of characters, so this is just added incentive for me.   Time permitting, I really hope to be able to jump on this idea.

BentonGrey

Hey man, like I said, I'll leave it open for a good long time, so take all the time you like.  I'd love to see your take on some DC characters.

Tomato

You know, I've kind of sworn off challenges because I get mental blocks every time I try, but I've always been a Earth-2 fan, so I'll give it a shot. It'll give me a nice diversion and hopefully clear my artists block.

FLASH_22798

Golden Age Johnny Quick

Belongs to the Conquering League Of Amerika.   Uses an early form of the speed juice to give him his powers.

BentonGrey

Ahh!  Freakin' awesome Flash, I love it.  Deffinetly a take I wasn't expecting.  What is the silver sleeve on his arm?

Tomato, glad to hear that my idea has intrigued you that much.  I can't wait to see what you do!

:EDIT: Ohh, and if anyone is interested in doing the Young Offenders (Teen Titans) I've got a new story arc concerning them specifically, if I can get enough of them.

FLASH_22798

The metal sleeve on his arm is connected via two hoses to a backpack.   The backpack contains the speed juice which is pumped in through an I.V. which is protected by the metal sleeve.   The vials on his belt contain pain killers to ease the effects of the juice.   (He goes through them really quick)

I'm also working through some character designs for other members of the CLA.

EDIT: After actually reading the wikipedia site about the Crime Syndicate, I suppose I should change the name of the Golden Age group to the "Crime Lodge" to match the comics.

juancho

:EDIT: Ohh, and if anyone is interested in doing the Young Offenders (Teen Titans) I've got a new story arc concerning them specifically, if I can get enough of them.

i do
pm me the details BG

BentonGrey

Great Juancho, I'll PM you some of my ideas, and you can run with them if you like.

Flash, that sounds like a great idea, a Golden Age version of the Earth-2 team!

FLASH_22798

As far as I know, there are no pics for most of the "Crime Lodge", so I can pretty much start from scratch for them.   I've already started a Golden Age Blood Eagle, Golden Age Power Ring, and a Golden Age Doctor Noon.

I never read the Syndicate Rules story arc, so all I'm going off of is the Wikipedia site and what little imagination I have left.   Anything I come up with, you can decide to use or not use, I'll leave it up to your better judgement.

BentonGrey

Haha, to tell the truth, Flash, I'd rather have it that way.  I've never read that story either (although I'm getting it through the library, so I will eventually), but I'm just excited to see what everyone dreams up.  I think that's what makes this fun, there is no real precedent!

FLASH_22798

I finished Golden Age Power Ring.   I'm still working on Golden Age Blood Eagle and Golden Age Doctor Noon.   Also, you said that you were interested in the Anti - Matter versions of villains, that universe's heroes, so I started versions of: Amazo, Doctor Light, Heatwave, and Prometheus.   I just haven't figured out the names or stories yet.   I was just looking for powerful and/or visually interesting characters to work with.   I also have a yahoo group set up that I'll load the characters to when I finish them, so you can pick and choose the ones you want.   As soon as I finish a few more, I'll pm you the address.

Tomato

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 20, 2007, 05:08:52 PMTomato, glad to hear that my idea has intrigued you that much.  I can't wait to see what you do!

Heh, I used to do Earth 2 characters all the time, it'll be nostalgic for me.

But yeah, I was going to do some Offenders anyway, so I might as well work with Juanco on it. If eithor of you have anything specific just PM me, I'll just doodle up some Earth 2 versions of the Pre-"Infinate Crisis" Titans in the meantime

FLASH_22798

If you guys are interested, I had started a version of Robin that I had called "Red Bird".   I had started 'skoping the mesh for him before I had seen juancho's reply.   If you guys want to take a peek to see if you can use it for anything, I'd be more than happy to let you have it.

BentonGrey

Awesome, I can't wait to see what you've got cooking there, Flash. Ohh, some nice choices as far as villains go, I'm particularly interested in how you handle Amazo! 

Sounds good Tomato, I'll send you what I sent to Juancho, and I'm sure he's got his own ideas.  Please don't feel obligated to follow my musings, if you get inspired, run with it!

:EDIT: Whoops Flash, I would deffinetly like to see your 'Red Bird' version.

Tomato

Quote from: FLASH_22798 on April 24, 2007, 03:28:27 PM
If you guys are interested, I had started a version of Robin that I had called "Red Bird".   I had started 'skoping the mesh for him before I had seen juancho's reply.   If you guys want to take a peek to see if you can use it for anything, I'd be more than happy to let you have it.

Honestly? Go ahead and Complete it. Better to have more then one version of Earth 2 versin of Robin so he can choose then to say "this is the version I pick, and I'm better then anyone." If you want to shove the work off on someone else though, I'll take a look  :P

FLASH_22798

Hey Benton, while I'm thinking about it, are there any specific characters that you would like to see?

BentonGrey

Haha, well, I'd hate to influence y'all, although I may post some more ideas if I find myself bored at work, but I would very much like to see Deadeye, the counterpart to Green Arrow.  (I was thinking something involving a lot of purple and an eye-patch.)  Also, I really would like to see a Martian Manhunter opposite, perhaps the Venusian Woman Hunter, perhaps not.

UnkoMan

Why not flesh out the deceased White Martian? Maybe have him come back to life as a result of his mollecular destabilization.

You know what I was thinking? A version of Plastic Man who... isn't that evil. He used to be a good cop, but fell into a vat of chemicals during a bust. He decided to use his powers to live an easier life, and is a bit of an opportunist, but inside he's a fairly decent guy.

FLASH_22798

QuoteWhy not flesh out the deceased White Martian?

I had thought about that when I sent you the "White Martian" character for the regular DCU mod.   It might prove to be a really cool character.

QuoteYou know what I was thinking? A version of Plastic Man

That sounds pretty cool, I hope someone takes that one on.   

QuoteI would very much like to see Deadeye

I had thought about making an "Green Arrow" alternate, but this sounds cool

too,plus it will give me my archer fix.

As for the "Venusion Woman Hunter", maybe another brave soul will take her on,

juancho

For MM counterpart i Had another MM in mind, somethin like Mercurian Man Slayer or soemthign like that, blue guy, red eyes, Black costume
might work on it if nobody takes a crack at it

|