• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Cone FX end nifs not showing up in game?

Started by Revenant, March 03, 2008, 11:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenant

Hey all, I've been doing some re-skinning of the cone fx.  I cant get the end nifs to play when the fx is used in the game.  Anybody experience this?

Previsionary

cone fx only use the start and core nif. The end nif may show up from time to time, but the core nif will still be active when/if the end nif even plays. As far as I know, none of the FFVTTR cones use the end nif at all.

Revenant

Ok thanks previosionary, I was adding my own end.nifs to the FX in the hopes that they would work.  I did notice that none of the included cone FX had end nifs.  Weird.. I wonder if there is a way to get them to work 100% of the time?  What is it about cone FX that makes them different from regular FX?

Previsionary

Quote from: Revenant on March 04, 2008, 11:22:40 PM
Ok thanks previosionary, I was adding my own end.nifs to the FX in the hopes that they would work.  I did notice that none of the included cone FX had end nifs.  Weird.. I wonder if there is a way to get them to work 100% of the time?  What is it about cone FX that makes them different from regular FX?

Well, the most immediate answer is that cones stretch out and have different timing than other fx. You may have noticed that, unlike beams and projectiles, the cone hits its target but continues to move past it as it covers a larger area. So, it doesn't hit any one thing directly which is why it doesn't use end nifs because it'd have to account for everything it hit in the process of expanding and produce that effect over and over which would, I assume, slow the game down considerably or crash it.  If I remember correctly, Area attacks don't use end nifs either for the same reason.

EDIT: clearer answer: They don't use end nifs because they hit several objects at one time (same as area attacks). For everything they hit (if end nifs worked), it'd have to produce that effect several times and that would slow the game down or overload it (forcing it to crash/close).