• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Wolverine and the X-Men

Started by detourne_me, September 28, 2007, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on August 30, 2008, 12:52:11 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/tv/080728-WolvXMentoon.html

Review of the new toon...and I hear reports that it's playing in some parts of the world as I've seen a review for episode 4...so, has anyone seen it on their tubes? I know it was suppose to air in the UK first, but apparently it has not. But I do hear it'll air in Canada next month, so...*shrugs*

EDIT:

It's also been said that Hulk vs Wolverine is a prequel to the show and it looks like it'll be brought up in the actual show pretty early on. Yay for continuity.

It's airing in Brazil or somewhere like that. It'll be on YTV next week for us Canadians. The UK airing is in limbo or something.
I believe it's episode 7 that has a Hulk/Wolverine rematch.

Previsionary

Well, Canadians, the show premiered (premiers?) today, so make sure to let us know how the show went off. Also, I found out Psylocke is in the show...but she seems to be following her X-men 3 role. BAH! :P

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on September 06, 2008, 10:11:24 AM
Well, Canadians, the show premiered (premiers?) today, so make sure to let us know how the show went off. Also, I found out Psylocke is in the show...but she seems to be following her X-men 3 role. BAH! :P

Yeah it premieres today at 7pm est on YTV. I'll be watching.
I've heard plenty of spoilers and there are lots of cool guest stars in this show.

the_ultimate_evil

wonder when this will start in the uk

Podmark

Ok watched the first ep:

[spoiler]Not actually going to go super spoilery here, I liked the episode. It's mostly a Wolverine story but you should be expecting that. Some really cool cameos. Wasn't really the most exciting episode but that wasn't the point. I really think this is going to be a great series. [/spoiler]

Previsionary

I think YTV should have shown all 3 parts. Though, the episodes work as one parters, the full premiere is 3 full episodes. They did it for JL, do it for X-men! :P

Anyway, I did happen to catch a few parts of the show offhand thanks to the tube of you (before they were taken down...and they were in Portuguese, so I actually got to use my not-oft used Spanish skills) and it looked interesting, though I'm mixed on the art. I think it could be a bit better and since this is the evo team, I expected a greater push in that arena since Evo had some good art during that time (just look at the Jean, Kitty, Tabitha, Rogue, and Amara dance scene). But, yeah, from what I saw and was able to make out, it looks good. Just have to wait until 09 and hope I maintain that channel to actually be able to watch it. -_-

Pod, what did you think of the voice cast? Were they all good/tolerable?

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on September 06, 2008, 09:30:08 PM
Pod, what did you think of the voice cast? Were they all good/tolerable?

Well Wolverine is the same guy who's been doing all the recent games and I think he's pretty much prefect. Beast was good, reminded me of a mix of the Fox show and Grammer a bit. Rogue reminded me a bit of Anna Paquin, Beyond that none of the established characters were in it enough for me to really make a good judgement call, but nobody really bugged me.

[spoiler]Pyro threw me a bit because he looks more like the movie kid but had a heavy Australian voice. [/spoiler]

zuludelta

Saw it, thought the writing was solid. Not "Spectacular Spider-Man" good, but close (it's just one episode, so it will probably get better as the writers get more comfortable with the show). Of course I wasn't expecting anything less, considering that the episode was written by an animation vet like Greg Johnson (of Beast Wars and X-Men: Evolution fame) and co-produced by Chris Yost (New X-Men, X-Men: Evolution).

I think the character designs are solid if unspectacular, but the animation is a little on the rough side. Still, I'm just glad they didn't subcontract the animation to MoonScoop (the European studio which does the Fantastic Four "faux-nime").

My one gripe, and it's a pretty minor one, is with regards to the decision to use Wolverine and Beast almost exclusively in the first episode. I imagine a kid with no prior knowledge of the characters would assume that being a mutant means having sideburns and an odd hairstyle  :lol:   

Previsionary

Epi 1 in English is on tube of you now. I usually wouldn't advocate watching the toon online unless it was official streaming, but...2009 is a while away...and it's on an obscure channel :P

Talavar

I thought this was a solid first episode.  The 1 year ahead time jump was handled a little awkwardly, and it'll remain to be seen how this story resolves, since it's a multi-part story.  The character designs are pretty good, though the motion of their animation could use a lot of work - it's far less fluid than that seen in Spectacular Spider-man.  Voice work was solid all around - nobody stood out as annoying or shoddy.

And for a first episode, we got a lot of X-men characters as small parts or cameos - I counted Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor X, Dust, Boom Boom, & Pyro, in addition to Beast & Wolverine.  It's weird for me to see a character as recent as Dust in animation, but I like it.

zuludelta

Quote from: Talavar on September 09, 2008, 12:38:51 PM
And for a first episode, we got a lot of X-men characters as small parts or cameos - I counted Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor X, Dust, Boom Boom, & Pyro, in addition to Beast & Wolverine.  It's weird for me to see a character as recent as Dust in animation, but I like it.

IIRC, other characters who had cameos were New X-Men's Rockslide (or was it Caliban?) and Wolfsbane (I think). The Dust and Rockslide appearances probably have something to do with Chris Yost being a co-producer/series consultant on the show... he co-writes the New X-Men comic which heavily features both characters. And slightly off-topic, isn't Dust and Rockslide character designer/comic book artist Nunzio DeFilippis a registered member of Freedom Reborn? I vaguely remember him posting on the skins and meshes threads a few years back (pre-board reformat).

Talavar

I thought that one might have been Rockslide, but wasn't certain - his look, particularly his original look, which the character more resembled, isn't particularly distinctive, and we didn't get any character moments, which would probably be more telling.

Previsionary

Without spoiling things, this show will probably have several cameos as every episode I saw pics/vids of seems to have at least one. That's very similar to the 90s show, but marvel toons seem to thrive on cameos. This one more so than the others. It probably outranked Fan4 by episode 8. :P

Podmark

Yeah that was Rockslide, and I'm pretty sure Wolfsbane. There are lots of cameos coming up in this show :D And Talavar Rockslide was in this current form in the show. His original form was basically a grey thing.

Yeah, Chris Yost is involved but Craig Kyle, co-writer of New X-Men and X-Force with Yost and I believe creator of X-23 (you know she'll show up ;) ), is involved in some capacity as well. Actually I think he's in a key position of Marvel Animation in general.

Zulu, Dust was created by Grant Morrison, but yes Nunzio DeFilippis created Rockslide (although Yost and Kyle are more responsible for popularizing him).  Nunzio is a registered member, though he's only posted a few times.

Talavar

I thought he basically was a grey Thing in this episode.

Pics to compare - current Comic Appearance:

Wolverine & the X-men:

Podmark

Quote from: Talavar on September 09, 2008, 09:47:20 PM
I thought he basically was a grey Thing in this episode.

Pics to compare - current Comic Appearance:

Wolverine & the X-men:

Yeah I can see your point, they didn't really represent his current appearance all that well, but if you look at the face it is the current one. Actually there is an issue of New X-Men where he wears similar clothes as he did on the show. The major difference is how the neck is done, and the shoulders to an extent, and they didn't really exaggerate the features the way it is in the comics. I think maybe they were trying to get a bit of both looks.

I love Rockslide so I was happy to see him appear. He did look kind of blah though.

JeyNyce

I finally saw the first episode and it wasn't bad.  I'm not a big fan of the X-men like I was many moons ago, but this show was enjoyable.  I like the fact that they had a Boomer (or boom boom) cameo.  I will be keeping an eye out on this one.

Podmark

Second episode was on tonight. I'm liking the series. Some of the take some getting used to.

[spoiler]Wolverine, Beast, Angel, Kitty, Iceman and Cyclops appear appear. Colossus is mentioned. The Brotherhood appears with Quicksilver, Blob, Toad, Domino, and Rogue. Senator Kelly and Warren Worthington II appear as well. [/spoiler]

Previsionary

Episode two was pretty good and I could enjoy it better since I didn't have to translate while watching. To all those people that fear that "Wolverine" would take up every plot, this episode would prove those worries incorrect. This is a Rogue/Bhood episode with Wolverine and the X-plot playing second fiddle. In fact, Wolverine appears less in this episode than Rogue, the Bhood, and probably Angel on their own. I call that...awesome. ^_^

Episode 3 is the one I'm waiting on just because I want to hear how Emma sounds. Will she have her New England, Boston accent, or will she be faux British? So many questions, one long week to wait. ^^

[spoiler]PS: Beast looks awesome, but I still dislike Rogue's hair. Get rid of the transparency, please!

also, Pod forgot  about avalanche. Shame on you, Pod. : - P[/spoiler]

Podmark

Ya know I KNEW I was forgetting one of them.

Also I wish Beast was a cat.

Ajax

I like the transparency. What I dislike is how they animate her. For some reason she can look really well done or kinda masculine. [spoiler]Was I the only one who thought it was ridiculous that Kitty had to be outside the helicopter to phase it? (Small gripe I know) Besides that it was a solid episode. I like how they are taking there time gathering the X-Men. Lesser writers would have had the entire team back together by now. Especially Cyclops. How Wolverine talked to Bobby's parents was a bit odd. I mean it just sounded like they were looking out for his safety and then he throws the 'he is a mutant deal with it' speal in their face as if that were the reason they said no. Oh wells. Beast still has the best character design in the show. Btw is it me or does Toad get a lot of representation in x-toons?[/spoiler]

Previsionary

Wolvie/Iceman
[spoiler]I think the mutant thing Wolverine was going on about was probably a throwback to the movie...or maybe it had to do with senator Kelly and Bobby's responsibility to mutant kind/the X-men[/spoiler]

Toad
[spoiler]I actually enjoy him getting representation because he was pretty absent before the Evo cartoon/X-men movie. The movie and the cartoons kind of made Toad a much better character in the comics...though he disappeared again.[/spoiler]

Brotherhood
[spoiler]I liked that they actually pulled off an effective and smart plan WITHOUT Mystique's or Magneto's involvement. The bumbling idiots routine was getting a bit old.[/spoiler]

Kat Pryde
[spoiler]I think that was just for her to be able to see when the plane would make contact better (and when it would be fully inside the building) or maybe to better channel her powers to cover the whole plane. I dunno...I'm just trying to rationalize it. :P[/spoiler]

Random info (future cameo so ignore if ya don't want to be...spoiled)
[spoiler]BLINK! Blink shows up! She hasn't been in a toon since the 90s. maybe she'll speak this time. I'm pretty excited for most of the cameos coming up. Some lesser known, some new, but I swear creators hate Havok.[/spoiler]

Talavar

This is definitely shaping up to be a solid show - with this and Spectacular Spider-man, could Marvel finally be reversing the overall quality of their animation projects?

Tomato

Quote from: Talavar on September 14, 2008, 11:59:41 PM
This is definitely shaping up to be a solid show - with this and Spectacular Spider-man, could Marvel finally be reversing the overall quality of their animation projects?

I think it's the same reason their latest films (arguably, in the case of Hulk, but still) have been much better... They're starting to run all of them under in-house studios rather then handing them over to networks and production companies who don't give a darn about the characters.

... ok, rant over for now.

As for the Wolverine-is-the-leader thing... I have to admit, I was among the "WTF?" crowd in terms of giving him separate billing and making him the leader... but having seen it, I'm intrigued. The idea of expanding the character into a role he's never really had to be in before, challenging Wolverine to evolve and expand himself is rather cool.

Talavar

I like that they're addressing Wolverine's lack of perceived leadership abilities in-story.  I really liked that touch.

Previsionary

Quote from: Talavar on September 15, 2008, 02:52:13 PM
I like that they're addressing Wolverine's lack of perceived leadership abilities in-story.  I really liked that touch.

I do as well because people never give Wolvie credit there. The man has been alive for years and he "has" led teams before. I guess his loner status overrides his leadership abilities. :P

Podmark

I wasn't big on the Wolvie top billing at first, but once details of the show started coming in it didn't matter to me at all. Actually Wolverine can be a cool character in a leadership type role, but not entirely certain thats where this show will be going ultimately.

Obviously Wolverine gets top billing largely for marketing reasons.

Podmark

Saw the newest one today, I thought it was very good.

[spoiler]Warren pays to rebuild the mansion, with Forge frebuilding Cereba etc. Emma appears to offer her psychic powers to find Xavier. Xavier is in the Magneto ran Genosha. The X-Men sneak in, but are caught by Magneto but he lets them take the comatose Xavier. At the end of the episode the X-Men get a telepathic call from Xavier who has woken from his coma 20 years later to a future over run by Sentinels. He urges the X-Men to stay together under Wolverine's leadership, which sets up the series' premise.

Really liked Magneto's voice, design, power use, and setup in the episode. He's ruling Genosha and isn't a villain really. Voice actor is channeling Mckellen I think, which I like.
Was impressed with the power depiction of Iceman, Cyclops and Magneto.
Not huge on Cyclops voice, and there's something to Warren's face I don't like - he seems to look tired or something.
Emma was pretty good, she's doing the British voice, and she and Cyclops share some glances, but she shows up pretty conveniently.
The show interprets Forge as a younger character, and there's nothing wrong with that but I kinda wonder why? 
[/spoiler]

Previsionary

[spoiler]I think with Forge, they were just building off his evo status. I've no major problems with it and I won't unless they start a "Sorge" (Storm/Forge) relationship down the line. They were never really clear on why they did the age skip-abouts in Evo either (as Storm was older in that series and because of it, had less screen time.)[/spoiler]

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Previsionary on September 20, 2008, 08:20:15 PM
[spoiler]I think with Forge, they were just building off his evo status. I've no major problems with it and I won't unless they start a "Sorge" (Storm/Forge) relationship down the line. They were never really clear on why they did the age skip-abouts in Evo either (as Storm was older in that series and because of it, had less screen time.)[/spoiler]

Well I seem to recall Forge was in very few episodes of X-Men Evo (I recall 2, there might have been more but I can't remember) so it was kinda a moot point. he wasn't really that similar to the comic version anyway. I found myself thinking that the version of Forge in this new show, visually, reminded me of Tom Green, which is probably not a good thing.

Anyway, I'll enjoying the show so far. I don't really like Iceman or Beast's costumes, and I'm not big on Rogue's visual design, but some of them I really like, like Wolverine, I think he looks (and sounds) great.

[spoiler]Magneto was pretty cool. They did a great job with his powers and really made you feel like he could take on all the X-Men there. It reminded me of the old Claremont X-Men comics with the All-New All-Different team, especially this one cover where Magneto had forced Wolverines claws to be pointed at his face, with a look of genuine panic on Logan's face. In the show, he had him point his claws at his teammates, which is actually a much better tactic considering Wolverine's metal bones and healing factor. I kinda felt like the whole thing was plotted around a fight scene with Magneto though. Once the X-Men mention Charles, Magneto is just like "Why didn't you say so?". Seemed a little bit silly but not necessarily bad or implausible IMO. [/spoiler]

|