• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The Dark Knight

Started by Midnite, February 15, 2007, 08:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

catwhowalksbyhimself

*Sigh*

Those exact same links were given in an earlier post above.  They are all HD.

I've seen the trailer anyway, so I really don't care.  I probably ought to stay away form this thread for a while anyways, as this constant going in circles is driving me nuts.

I mean, I appreciate you people trying to be helpful, but when you're just repeating EXACTLY the same thing that everyone else did, it gets maddening pretty quickly.

BentonGrey

Okay....I'm really getting unhappy with the Joker's look.  Even my wife said he just looked 'wrong.'  This is not to say I'm not still really excited about the movie, but I really want to see an all white Joker, not this freak show.

Ares_God_of_War

I kind of agree. all I can think of is the Cesar Romero Joker being channeled by heath ledger. I'll still will see the movie but the look is kind of turning me away.

Talavar

The Joker's look?  Does the teaser even show anything?  I just get dialogue with the bat-symbol sort of disintegrating, with the title and a date at the end.  Or is this just referring to the earlier pics of the Joker?

Ares_God_of_War

I am refering to the previous pics. there is a new one under a spoiler tag on the previous page. The voice does sound relatively interesting. *sigh* if only Mark Hammil was younger, lol. You know I kind of wish Cillian Murphy wasnt the Scarecrow. I would like to see him in Joker makeup just because the dude has some pretty creepy eyes I think. Anyway I am still curious how the joker will play out.

*edit* You know I like the Laugh but I wish it was drawn out more. I always think of jokers maniacal laugh as a little bit more drawn out :)

MJB

I got the video to play just fine without it being in HD. I just went to http://whysoserious.com/ and clicked the box on top of the page. No HD, no size issues and a quick download. Sometimes it just pays to look for yourself. ;)

-MJB

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, I looked back on this page anyway, and actually got a good answer.

Part of the problem is the sheer number of times that web page has been changed today.  Three times that I've seen, so I had no idea the movies were even accessible form there, and that format of the movie was not there at all.

Failed_Hero

Personally I like the make-up  because Nolan is attempting a more realistic approach. He is giving the Joker a bit of make over to carry to the big screen.  I've seen some set footage of Ledger in make-up and in costume, and I think he looks great.  Honestly did you think a mystery cyntric director like Nolan would give away the Joker's origin.  Do I wish the make up were more cleanly done yes, but I think that given a chance Ledger and Nolan will give us a great Joker, he's following the killing joke and the first apperances for crying out loud, and if you add a dash of long halloween it will be great.

BentonGrey

I hate the Killing Joke, I really don't see what people think is so great about it.  The Joker is the embodiment of chaos, the man should be an enigma, and his origin shouldn't ever be revealed.  Still, I don't think the make-up is any more realistic really, I think it's just stupid.  I've been all for all of the changes they've made in this Batman, (didn't really love the Batmobile, but it worked out alright) and I still have some faith, but I REALLY don't like this look the Joker has...he just looks....sloppy.

JKCarrier

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 29, 2007, 12:55:11 PM
I hate the Killing Joke, I really don't see what people think is so great about it.  The Joker is the embodiment of chaos, the man should be an enigma, and his origin shouldn't ever be revealed.

That's the cool thing about Killing Joke; Moore leaves it very ambiguous. Even the Joker admits he's not sure if he's remembering what really happened, or if it's just another delusion: "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

BentonGrey

Yeah, and I like the fact that it's not necessarily canon, but I still don't care very much for the story.

Jakew

Even if you don't care for the plot, you have to admit the art and Joker's dialogue is fantastic.

Moore didn't really like The Killing Joke either, did he?

the_ultimate_evil

the killing joke is canon, dc has said that many times, and even referenced it in the hush returns story

detourne_me

of course its canon.  how can there be any debate.  babs is in a wheelchair aint she?

the_ultimate_evil

*slaps forehead and then slaps detourne for good measure*

the man makes a point

Mr. Hamrick

what's "not necessarily canon" about it is The Joker's memory of the origin.  The Joker doesn't even have a coherent memory of how got to where he is.  That's the point of the story.

Having said that . . .

Certain things have been revealed about The Joker over time.  The Killing Joke ties them together and elaborates.

As for The Dark Knight, it is not going to be solely based on The Killing Joke.  It's been said several times that The Dark Knight script draws from five different sources: The Joker's first appearance (which I have a reprint of), a story that Denny O'Neil did called "The Joker's Five Way Revenge", The Killing Joke, Long Halloween, and Batman Beings.

BentonGrey

Exactly Mr. Hammick, I didn't mean the story itself, merely the Joker's origin.  I'd be much happier if they were sticking to the Bob Kane stories, with a dash of B:TAS thrown in.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 30, 2007, 08:46:22 PM
Exactly Mr. Hammick, I didn't mean the story itself, merely the Joker's origin.  I'd be much happier if they were sticking to the Bob Kane stories, with a dash of B:TAS thrown in.

The Denny O'Neil material is the reason The Joker is the character he is today.  Without O'Neil doing the very story they are using then you'd have the Ceasar Romeo version . . . aka The Harmless Buffoonish clown from the 50s and 60s.

As for the inclusion of Long Halloween, we all know that is because of The Dent element.

I doubt we are going to get the whole Killing Joke backstory.  I know we won't in fact.  There's no way Nolan can use TOO much of it.  That feeds into where the film IS a continuation of Batman Begins. 

Bottom line, Benton, is that Nolan is not going to give up 100% of any of the old material he is drawing from for Joker's origin.  However, what he will do is give us as good or better than Batman Begins.  Nolan is more suited to doing the Batman movies on his worst day than Tim Burton on his "best".  The work he did and surprises he gave with Batman Begins proves it. 

BentonGrey

I suppose I should have clarified that I don't know O'Neil's work, (at least not off the top of my head, although there is a good chance I read some of it at some time or another) and therefore have no opinion on it. 

Long Halloween's Joker.....nothing really against it, and the Dent story is.....good, but I prefer (yes, again, I'm sorry but I have to say it) the TAS version....I feel like there is more hope in it.

I agree, Nolan has my faith still....but that doesn't mean I like the look of the Joker.

Jakew

read Denny's Batman ... you'll like it. Jokers 5 Way Revange is great.

BentonGrey

Where can I find it?  Is it a particular run in a certain title or collected in TPB?

Figure Fan

Heath Ledger looks good as the Joker from what has been shown. Oh, and the makeup looks great, too.

I don't see the problem, mostly because there isn't one.

Mr. Hamrick

• "See You In December" the site mentioned at "IBelieveInHarveyDentToo.com" if you take away all the "HAHAHAH"s refers to the forthcoming film "I am Legend".  I suspect this will be the film of which the next teaser or a full trailer (though probably too early for a full trailer) will be attached to.  The trailer will be up on that site after some sort of gag.
  • Stay Tuned! A new Joker site to appear next month.  OR was that this month.
  • There will be a panel at Wizard World Chicago.  Could the full cast be annouced?  Could be get a new viral site game?  Could we get a second teaser?  Again, stay tuned.
  • I'm pretty sure I know who Anthony Michaell Hall is playing.  I think he will look interesting if he is that character and he is in costume.

BentonGrey

Quote from: ips on July 31, 2007, 09:01:14 AM
just assuming everyone has seen this... but if they haven't...

http://www.popoholic.com/photo.php?id=theknife&title=Joker%20from%20Batman%20Dark%20Knight%20Pictures

*sigh*

Well, Anthony Micheal Hall...........Riddler?  He'd do a great job.....much better than Jim Carey...ugh....

The Pwime

the fact that the thing on his face is an ACTUAL chelsea grin and not just makeup he put on to look weird...well...it's creeping the hell out of me.  :mellow:

Ajax

Quote from: The Pwime on August 01, 2007, 06:47:59 PM
the fact that the thing on his face is an ACTUAL chelsea grin and not just makeup he put on to look weird...well...it's creeping the hell out of me.  :mellow:

If I remember right Bob Kane was inspired to create Joker (DC denies it though) by an old silent picture about a man who goes crazy after recieving a chelsea grin.

Jakew

Conrad Viedt from the film The Man Who Laughs. Great film.

Mr. Hamrick

I've always heard that Kane saw the film and that Conrad's character inspired the look of the character.  I presume that is what Nolan went for with the look of the character here.

BentonGrey

Yep, I'm pretty sure that Kane himself had confirmed that somewhere.

|