News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

FX in FFX3

Started by SickAlice, June 02, 2022, 07:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

Is there anyway to get FFX3/FFX32 Map Pack to pick up my otherwise installed FX? I never noticed this before but they don't show up even if they're assigned to the Hero files normally in  :ffvstr:. The moves that the absent FX are assigned to also can't be used in FFX in game. This includes other peoples Hero files that in the regular game just default.

Of note these draw on ones installed by EZFX but nothing I enter into the Editor manually. In the Editor I also have FFX as my secondary data path to the primary. I assume dat merging is in order but do not want to do anything without knowing that would mess anything up. A lot of what I'm working on is meant to be dependent on FFX which is why this is important, eventual character releases that come with Hero files and can use vehicles in maps I'm going to make and so forth (relevant to planned TMNT and MOTU stuff).

oktokels

Quote from: SickAlice on June 02, 2022, 07:53:40 AM
Is there anyway to get FFX3/FFX32 Map Pack to pick up my otherwise installed FX? I never noticed this before but they don't show up even if they're assigned to the Hero files normally in  :ffvstr:. The moves that the absent FX are assigned to also can't be used in FFX in game. This includes other peoples Hero files that in the regular game just default.

I'm not sure if i'm getting your trouble right, but I think that the mappack mod uses a totally different folder for fx and a different fx.dat, so the fx's that you would normally see in your mod won't show in mappack. What i did is take the maps individually from the mappack and installed the maps that i like directly into my mod.

BentonGrey

Yeah, each mod folder has its own directory for FX and its own FX dat.  You'd need to copy the FX files to the mod you want to use them in AND add their entries to that mod's dat OR combine the dats.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SickAlice

That's what I thought. I didn't want to go ahead and to it thought and up breaking/having to do reinstalls. I will copy them, a lot of the work is being looked at it in FFX, meant to take advantage of the attributes. Mostly I'm only hesitant do to the path issues this Steam installation seems to cause. I had "thought" though do to FFX being chosen as my secondary dat directory it would pick up adjustments along with the main one but I guess not.

BentonGrey

Secondary directory should always remain your Data directory.  What I do is just use FFX for the basis of all of my work.  All of my mods were built out of FFX.  So, just copy the FFX folder, rename it whatever you like, and make all of your modifications in there.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

SickAlice

Not sure if I got it but my primary is  :ffvstr: Data directory. Secondary is FFX's Data directory. And this is wrong? But yeah, I also thought to make FFX the primary for everything since I do everything there as well. I only ended up installing to the OG game because I had problems getting FFX working for almost a year. Like I said it's been a constant with this system and the version of the game. I never really had these problems before other than simple mistakes I made myself.

BentonGrey

Yeah, you've got it backwards.  Your primary is your mod folder, your secondary is your data directory. 

Haha, who knows what ghosts we've released into the machines by modding and tinkering for years and years and years, so much of it not really knowing what we're doing.  :P
God Bless

oktokels

For me it's:
Primary-->my mod
Secondary-->ffx
:lol:

SickAlice

Alright changed that. It didn't really change anything but I have combine stuff as said then. So combine the FFX with the native games and this won't overwrite or mess up anything in FFX then? Just because making sure because as you know ghosts in the machine. And I have a pretty good idea myself of how many. Every time I see a thread here and someone is saying "How can I get this thing in this Nif to work" and I realize the piece was skoped from something I made and let loose into the wild and also that I absolutely broke that piece. Then again I've learned more from making mistakes in this then I have getting it right the first time.

BentonGrey

Oh yeah, most of what I've learned I've learned because I've screwed something up! 

Ha, what I like to do is keep backups, because that's the only way you'll be able to experiment, modify, and still have a working version to fall back on if all goes wrong. 

What the basic setup, Primary as your mod and Secondary as your Data directory, does is that it allows you to modify your mod without changing any of the base game files.  The Primary is the one that you edit with FFEdit, and obviously, that can end up disastrously if you are editing your base game files.  So, no, this won't guarantee that you won't mess anything up, but if you do, it'll just be in FFX and not in the full game.

Does that make sense?
God Bless

SickAlice

Back late but yeah, that makes enough sense.

For the record none of this actually worked though. Of note I do not have a mod folder. I'm not making one. I just make game resources. I'm trying to get FX that I have in the game folder to show up in FFX.
Changing the folder doesn't change anything any more than it does in making Sounds show up in game or not.

*edit: I see something though.
A. You assumed I'm making a Mod which I'm not and that's where I got lost.
B. I switched my directories, so for me that's just the games Data directory itself and FFX
B2. When I did that my added Fx no longer show up in the Editor.
B3. The problem here is when I entered those resources in the Editor it (Primary) was pointed at the games dats, not FFX thus that's the only place it was written to or can be read from.
B4. The solution is I just have to toggle FFX to the Primary and just re-enter the FX again there to write it the FFX dat.

Omegaprime

i dropped in a custom thing stretchy fist and it showed only in the base vanilla game...oopsie, i'm an asparagus. imagine i need to change the primary and secondary paths to ffx and the mods i'm using my "foreign one\4n1" character in and drop in the files? :blink: