I Need Your help With Freedom Force Install

Started by SpecterFan, May 30, 2022, 06:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpecterFan

I haven't been here for awhile so if anyone was trying to get hold of me, I apologize. My laptop's hard drive went bad and I'm forced to work with a new one. Unfortunately, I find myself stuck with Windows 11 - and re-installing everything I lost.

Here's my question -

I want Freedom Force AND Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich BACK AND WORKING. I have them both on GOG. FFv3R WORKS but FF WILL NOT! I think I have them both on disc - but I have not been able to locate FF.

Do any of you have any idea what I have to do on Win 11 and GOG to get FF to work? If FF works (better) on Steam - I'll buy it that way! I've done too much work on FF to let it go.

Thanks,
SpecterFan

mal19uk

I have not tried with windows 11 yet but I just want to check a couple of things. Are you installing via gog galaxy or the offline files version? If gog galaxy I would try the offline files version.

SpecterFan

I tried a number of different installs - I might have tried that one. I'll try it anyway.

SpecterFan

Sorry about my delay in getting back to you. I'm sorry but I have  to be honest: WINDOWS 11 IS A GOD-AWFUL PAIN!!! I'm only using it because I'm stuck with it.

As to your questions -

• I have it on GOG
  • I have a disc version (which I have not yet located)
  • I AM WILLING TO BUY IT ON STEAM IF THERE IS A GOOD REASON FOR DOING SO
  • I tried the offline files version
  • I also tried installing in several different locations (That proved to be a solution in the past.)
:banghead:

mal19uk

Hi,

Hmm I will try to think about what avenues we can go down here. There are certainly quite a few applications that worked on Windows 10 that are not yet compatible with Windows 11.

It might be worth giving a shout out to gog support on https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?game=1445250806&product=gog

mal19uk

Do you get any error messages when installing?

SpecterFan

No and I have two new discs for Freedom Force to try. I'll let you know how they turn out.

SpecterFan

This is an update -
I installed FF from the disc. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing works. I'm at my wits end. I'm running out of time......      :doh:

I HATE WINDOWS 11 WITH A PASSION!!!!!
Thanks for your time...

BentonGrey

Man, I HATE that.  Sorry SF!  So, what EXACTLY happens with  :ff: ?

I assume you've tried the basic stuff, like compatibility mode and such?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SpecterFan

Sorry if I offended anyone. Just venting....Yup. Tried all the basic stuff. Installed from disc. Applied patch(es). Tried installing in different locations. Everything I can think of.The most I've gotten so far is a warning that the app may present a security risk. Then Win 11 takes over and nothing else happens.I haven't tried DOS BOX yet - mainly because of all the settings involved.I've done a "ton" of work on FF1. I don't want to toss it aside without a second thought. My old, tattered brain doesn't work that way.

BentonGrey

So you have tried to run it in compatibility mode?  Also, Microsoft has tremendous contempt for their users and doesn't trust them to control their own property, so make sure you've taken ownership of all the files and that you are an admin.

I'd suggest installing the GOG version, making sure you've got ownership of and full access to the files and that you are an admin.  Make sure GOG Galaxy isn't running and that you are launching from a shortcut and not through the shell.  Then set the launcher to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98 or XP and to run as admin.  Those are my best suggestions, though I don't know if they will do you any good.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

WyldFyre

I don't know if this will work for you. It worked for me. I installed the GOG version into the original game directories. This allowed me to install the editor and mods just like they originally came out.
I did this with both FF and FFvtTR. I DID install these under Windows 10, but they work under 11 as well. As Benton said be sure you have ownership of all of the files/directories. I've had that issue crop up as well.
I run in compatibility for Vista SP 2 and as an administrator for FF. FFvtTR works without compatibility.

edit: I found that disk installs for FF did not work under Win 10 or 11. FFvtTR seemed to install fine.
For Freedom!

SpecterFan

I'll let you both know how this goes.

SpecterFan

I just jumped the gun. I thought that because  :ffvstr: started up, it was also working fine. Well - I was wrong; when I tried a few buttons (NEW CAMPAIGN, CHARACTERS, and RUMBLE ROOM for example) it didn't do a damn thing. It just kept playing music over and over.That said, which of the following install locations do you recommend:

C:\GOG Games\Freedom Force\Data\Art   
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Art

C:\GOG Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Art
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art

WyldFyre

My base directories are:

<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\

<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the Third Reich\

The Data and Art folders are in game assets. The game itself would be installed to the directories I listed.

I did have an issue with one of Benton's mods pointing to a FFvtTR directory with a dot after vs (vs.) but fixed that.

For Freedom!

oktokels

Quote from: SpecterFan on July 03, 2022, 09:13:25 PM
; when I tried a few buttons (NEW CAMPAIGN, CHARACTERS, and RUMBLE ROOM for example) it didn't do a damn thing. It just kept playing music over and over.
I could be wrong, but sounds like a problem with the video card drivers or a graphics incompatibility. You should try to update the graphic card drivers or try to install the game in another computer to test that.

SpecterFan

WyldFyre, did you install from a disc or an offline installer?

BentonGrey

God Bless

SpecterFan

BentonGrey

I mean, is it failing during the install itself, or is it installing and then not launching successfully?
God Bless

SpecterFan

• :ff: would never launch despite receiving "Freedom Force Has Installed Successfully". Instead, it would jump around showing screens that looked like it was trying to launch but failing.

• :ffvstr: would launch, playing the start-up music. However, when I tried to make a selection - i.e. New Campaign, Characters, etc. - it would just keep playing start-up music.

WyldFyre

For FF I have the GOG version. I just used the original directory structure.

I have installed FFvtTR both ways. I now have the GOG version installed but also in the original directories.

I have FF running in compatibility mode.(see earlier post) but FFvtTR works fine.
For Freedom!

SpecterFan

Quick note to let you know -

•      FFv3R seems to be working fine - so far.

•      Freedom Force is still a huge disappointment. I installed from the "offline installers" downloaded from GOG. I tried "compatibility mode - Windows 98/Windows ME" and - when that didn't work - "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". All it does is crash back to the desktop.

• Sorry but it seems I have something new to add. I thought I could try adding a few favorites using EZNif Convert v4.0 but all I get is a message telling me I need Windows .NET Framework (which I already have)

• I just wanted to let you know.......
             I haven't been online for awhile because I picked up an annoying bug that would not let me on the forums. Instead, it redirected me to a totally different website which I had no knowledge of. Turns out it had something to do with my browser and (sneaky) certificates.

• My Freedom Force situation........
            I finally couldn't stand it any more - Windows 11 that is - so I found a laptop running Windows 10 Home version and dropped $700+ hoping this would solve my problems. Remember, FF DID INSTALL under this OS before. Well, guess what - it doesn't work.....There has got to be a combination I haven't tried yet?