News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

skins not showing on meshes in game

Started by jackhart1967, April 06, 2022, 07:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackhart1967

Hi folks, I assume this is a technical thing. I have a few meshes, The_Hero_AA for instance, that the skins I've tried on it show up in the character build screens, but in game he reverts to his standard skin. Suggestions?

spydermann93

Make sure that all of your skins are in the .dds file format (or all .tga format, but that introduces other bugs), otherwise the game will default to the standard skin or the skin that is .dds format.

jackhart1967

Thanks, now the next question; assuming that this particular mesh's standard skin is in the .dds format, but the skin I'm trying to use on it is .tga, how do I change the format of the skin(s) in question, & I think you're saying that there is a way to check all of my (many, many) skins at the same time, or am I just hoping that is the case?

oktokels

Quote from: jackhart1967 on April 06, 2022, 08:33:02 PM
Thanks, now the next question; assuming that this particular mesh's standard skin is in the .dds format, but the skin I'm trying to use on it is .tga, how do I change the format of the skin(s) in question, & I think you're saying that there is a way to check all of my (many, many) skins at the same time, or am I just hoping that is the case?
There's a software called X2Y that can mass convert tga files to dds

jackhart1967

Thanks! I will look for the software. Much appreciated.

spydermann93

You can also use Paint.NET to convert skins from .tga to .dds.

jackhart1967

Thanks everyone for the help on this. the x2y program solved the problem on one skin on one mesh. Now that I've figured that out maybe I can figure out how to covert batches of skins all at once. Fingers crossed.

oktokels

You should also check that all the textures are correct, that is, that each skin has a male_basic, a male_refl, male_glow, etc. the same textures that are in the standard skin. It is more common for the game to revert to the standard skin when the texture names of the alt skins are not correct.

The .tga problem usually shows up in-game  (:ffvstr:) by changing skins to a pink color.