Dune: Arrakis, Desert Planet

Started by BentonGrey, October 28, 2021, 01:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy folks, anyone seen the new Dune?  I am a big fan of the classic (infamous?) David Lynch version from the 80s, despite its flaws, but I quite enjoyed this new rendering of the story.  It does a lot of things very well, though, ironically, despite having twice the narrative space as the Lynchian version, it accomplishes a LOT less characterization for almost everyone other than Duncan Idaho, Paul, and Duke Leto.  Dr. Yueh in particular suffers from having almost no screentime or development, as does the impact of his role in the plot.  Nonetheless, it's a great adaptation of the first half of the story, and a gorgeous film, which is unsurprising, given the director.  Me and the guys were all quite impressed.  I had no major criticisms, though I definitely feel like it probably could have been about 30 minutes shorter, haha.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Kommando

I was 12 when the Lynch movie came out. No one knew why I was excited for it, as I had already read the book when I was 10. Of course, this means I am very overdue to reread it. I'll eventually watch this when it is released to video.

BentonGrey

I need to reread it too one of these days.  I was impressed with his worldbuilding, but I found him a very poor storyteller. 

If it's an option, I'd highly recommend seeing this one in the theater, as it is a very cinematic experience and quite worth the price of admission.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

SickAlice

Skipped what you typed as I've been doing with my close friends for spoiler reasons. I am a huge and I mean right up there as favorite works fan of the Dune books. Somehow though I only saw the David Lynch film thus far (I think I mentioned I'm perpetually busy and don't have time for shows/movies, pandemic and quarantine has been a new experience for me to watch stuff). Anyways I have HBO Max, or I got it for my mother so I'm going to watch it pretty soon. I usually try and take in at least one of the movies they offer and my mom suggested she would like to watch it so I will with her. I'll get back to on it soon.

BentonGrey

Well, if you're a big fan, SA, I think you'll probably love this.  It's quite faithful.  And I didn't post anything even slightly spoilerish, no worries.
God Bless

SickAlice

I've heard that. Not really care about spoilers now that I think about it though. I know the story and actually I never do care about them anyways, I'm in a weird head space. Didn't watch it tonight. I was carving pumpkins for my mother. I forgot that it's work and my shoulders are really sore. I'll catch it before it leaves HMax though, if anything I do it just so I don't feel like I'm throwing my money away on the app. I even watched that Mortal Kombat movie. Well, that was more like work too and I was sore after it as well.

Panther_Gunn

The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

BentonGrey

Ha, I saw that, PG! 

SA, I'll be interested in your thoughts once you see it!
God Bless

SickAlice

Oh and on the books Children was my favorite and I can't really put my finger on it. Prequel books less so than the former but overall I ate that stuff up. I love multilayered stories as well when entire systems and cultures are detailed in science fiction. That's how I learned to write those stories way back as well, same with detective noir if that sounds odd, not interplanetary of course. That element was something that made Chronicles Of Riddick also stand out to me. Star Wars of course.

HarryTrotter

That was actually better then I expected. Thou the pacing is a bit weird. It lingers on some things and zooms past others that were just as important in the book. I guess they chose to focus on the political side more. And Kynes was just a complete miscast. You really needed somebody older and crazier in that role.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Yeah, some of the choices they made surprised me.  It makes sense to focus on just the three central characters, but wow, you do lose a lot in translation.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

We spend a lot of time walking around empty Caladan. And since we don't really go that deep into political situation and Houses,the Atreides look kinda stupid for taking the job,in this version.

Some minor complaints,but its a decent adaptation. Now,if we get to the sequels,there is a lot of potential for screwing up there.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Took me awhile sorry. I'm not going to get in depth other to note some things. As a reader I don't generally rate films by the source material and try and look at them as respective works. Using that it did do a decent job of holding the feeling of the novel though I can say this for the other takes on the story. I did not like the Part 1 element here. I understand why it happened though if they had kept both parts closer together instead of the due out 2023 I think it would have worked better. It's just complicated to have a story suddenly cut off in the middle of the rising action to me. The casting was great. I was doubtful going in as it seemed to just be union selection but everyone fits the role like a glove. To the prior Lynch production I think it's better without his signature lucid/rock n roll flavor as well sexually violent traits. It keeps the focus on the story and character development proper imo. The cinematic value is nice and a lot of the effects needed this update as where otherwise outdated to the first of course. Good film just for the sake of a movie when you aren't trying to hold it to other productions though. If a person with no nostalgia for either the novels nor the Lynch film were to ask if it was worth watching I would say yes though also warn of the length and heavy handiness at times. The visuals are particularly captivating, very artful.

BentonGrey

Glad you enjoyed it, SA.  Yeah, I have a soft spot for the Lynch version.  It's still Dune to me, even if this is a better movie, haha.
God Bless

SickAlice

I have a "nostalgic" spot for the Lynch version. I was very young and it was a movie my mom liked so I didn't really connect to it. I later took up an interest after having read the books. I also had a weird looking action of the Baron from that Lynch movie when I was young. I found it at a Goodwill and had no clue what it even was until later either.

BentonGrey

See, for me, it was one of the first sci-fi movies I saw as an older boy, and when I was a kid, there weren't many options for sci-fi and fantasy.  I saw the Lynch version, and it as something completely different.  It was unique and imaginative and creative and strange and insane and inspiring.  There's never been anything else like it, for good or for ill, haha.
God Bless

SickAlice

I wouldn't say it wasn't well done and rather the opposite. It was done as it could be for it's era. It is a universal appreciated film. But in comparison at any rate and having nostalgia myself for neither. In both case I still grant a lot of grace in not fully encapsulating the books because frankly the novels are just that layered and deep, and very heavily rely on the narration to where it wouldn't be plausible to capture it all on film, rather just the emotion of it in which case I think either film did well at (I did not see the 2000 made for television adaptation).