FF campaign quirks/tidbits/strategy?

Started by RingsOfReznor, August 19, 2021, 05:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RingsOfReznor

Minuteman can indeed gain enough XP to level up - there's a green canister inside a container near the top right guard house.

Despite the description in  :ff: Rally the Troops actually boosts damage & knockback on the next attack. The effect is stronger on allies closer to Minuteman when he shouts, and is further augmented by 300 percenter. For reference, you can exploit this to make arcane bolt hit 90 on raptors in Prehistoric Panic and send them flying.

Liberty Lad's Tumble fixes his dodge chance to 1%. This bug exists across both  :ff: and  :ffvstr:

Law & Order's speed, blindness and jumper seem to get jumbled up.

Auto-cast © can be used to great effect in  :ff: with many characters, especially with Man-Bot using Transfer on auto-cast too. For example, liberty lad can lay an entire minefield in seconds, and man-o-war can rapid-fire Ball Lightning. Man-Bot can also lock down anything with auto energy leech, including Timemaster.

Most of the super expensive melee attacks in  :ff: are consistent, fast DPS and allow for your hero to slug it out against minions and bosses without planning ahead.

Rage prevents stun and dodging, making it ideal for landing slow but high knockback strikes. An enraged melee hero in the midst of enraged enemies can clean house on auto-pilot, even against tougher opponents.

That's it from me! What were your own observations and exploits from the games?
VRANG VRANG VRANG VRANG

BentonGrey

Howdy RoR, and welcome to the forums!

Yeah, lots of good stuff there.  Is Tumble fixed in FFX?  I'm not sure.

I think about the 3rd thing on my list of stuff I miss from  :ff: is the "constant" button.  It was so fantastic in running your team!  Interestingly, I've been playing FF forever, and I actually hadn't ever tried using that to have Manbot constantly feed energy to an ally.  Neat!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

RingsOfReznor

Thanks BG, it's good to feel welcome.

I haven't tested Tumble in FFX, although Marble Bomb does serve as a very good gap-closer for an aggressive Liberty Lad.

Other thoughts on strategy:
El Diablo is worth levelling in  :ffvstr: for Hellfire. It has long range and some knockback (good for Eyes), and the ground animation is very quick. If you also use Quetz, you can shield another hero from the damage as they initiate. This worked very nicely for me on the highest difficulty... but I also recovered the heroes that Entropy erased, so I'm a cheat!

Mentor's flying ranged animation is a big step up from the ground one, so investing in levitate is actually a huge boost to his zap potential.
VRANG VRANG VRANG VRANG

BentonGrey

Well, you've arrived in one of the best communities on the Internet, and we're glad you're here!  :D

Yeah, Marble Bomb is pretty handy.  If you test Tumble in FFX, let me know how it goes.  Been a while since I played through and I don't remember.

ED's Hellfire is pretty great, but he suffers from the shorter range and greater limits of  :ffvstr: and I have a hard time using him on missions.  That's a very interesting note about the differing animations.  That's something I hadn't considered!

I find the FFX version of Mentor in  :ffvstr: way better than vanilla, but I tend to tweak his powers even more, because he feels fairly limited to me normally.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

RingsOfReznor

I've just tested Tumble in FFX - confirmed it sets the hit rate of attacks against Liberty Lad from the front and back to 99%.

Note this is enabling a 1%  <_< dodge chance from behind without danger sense.

I suppose the original rationale was that you could use the ability like an active defense against all melee and projectile attacks, and draw fire away from the team.

Also worth noting the original description for 'Throw Voice' suggests that it should trigger the target to use schoolyard taunt, rather than be a clone of instinct dominance.
VRANG VRANG VRANG VRANG

BentonGrey

Yeah, it definitely seems like "Throw Voice" was meant to be more than what it is in the current game.
God Bless

SuperPoweredYank

Here's on I've known since I was a kid.

In :ff:, when you encounter an Energy X canister of any type, pause the game. Now select each team member  individually, and tell them to collect the canister, and un-pause. Now as long as you do not interrupt this command, all members of the team will gain the bonus effect from the canister, even after the canister is no longer visible. As soon as they reach the location the canister was, the game will register that character as having collected the canister in addition to the others who already have. This bug was fixed in :ffvstr:.

BentonGrey

Whaaaa???  I played  :ff: endlessly, and I never knew that!  You're blowing my mind, SPY!
God Bless

spydermann93

lol, I remember having to cheese that a bit on Hard games.

Those ice bullets really smack El Diablo early on, lol

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 19, 2021, 02:41:47 PM
Whaaaa???  I played  :ff: endlessly, and I never knew that!  You're blowing my mind, SPY!

I read that in the playthrough in PC Gamer back in the day, not long after the game came out.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

SickAlice

Mentioned elsewhere there's an issue about summoning/private army and such. I think this has to do with the program pre-loading anything it uses into a session. I got around it by placing the character to be summoned within the map in advance. In this case I put the character inside of a wall where they wouldn't be visible nor able to run around and interact with anything. So what that does is preload them and when you use the FFX summon they are "teleported" from the position where they were stuck into gameplay.

There was another a long time ago I'm reluctant to recall but before Nifskope and all that I got a character to hold a weapon when the nif itself did not have the model there. Not useful nowadays having other options but I bug anyways. If I remember we used hex back then to remove or move parts of a nif. I had one nif, male basic based where I had hexed out everything but the weapons. Another was a standard ninja turtle we all used back then. The part where I forgot how is I did something by accident with the naming conventions in the Editor here, a shared name of some type between these two resources. The result in game was the engine couldn't tell the difference between the resources so it put them together and my ninja turtle now was holding swords. Maybe there's something to that bug anyone could exploit for a purpose someday, I dunno. I've done a couple other things with bugs in that Editor as well, mostly the same messing around with naming convention stuff. It seems pretty easy to trick the code in it.