News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Farewell Daglob

Started by BentonGrey, August 03, 2021, 02:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

My friends, it is my heart-breaking duty to inform you that we have lost another of our number, and another of the very best of us.  Our dear friend, Daglob, passed away this morning.  He finally lost his long battle with his cancer, one that he had been fighting heroically for years.  That struggle, and more importantly, the heroic endurance, perseverance, and simple good humor with which he faced it has been an inspiration to our entire community.  And Daglob himself has been a constant friend to many of us and a champion of the community itself.  He was always willing to help, always jumping in to provide a skin or mesh for someone in need, and with a wonderful love of the obscure and the forgotten that celebrated the strange and unusual in our favorite mediums.  He was also a tremendous help to me in my own projects, both in terms of being a walking library of FF resources, and in terms of creating materials himself, and my Pulp Adventures mod in particular owes its existence to both his work and his interests.  But more importantly, he was a good man, and he enriched the lives of everyone who was a member here, whether they knew it or not.  He enriched our lives in his generosity with his time and his talents, and he enriched them with his steady presence and unflappable nature.  I have been privileged to call him my friend, and I shall miss him terribly, but almost everyone who passed through this site owes him thanks and remembrance.

Once upon a time, our scattered, diminished community came together to send our dear friend a message of encouragement.  Many of us signed this piece below, and we sent it to Daglob.  His struggle is over now, and according to his belief and mine, he has gone to a place where there is no more pain and no more sorrow.  May he be welcomed as his good heart deserves.

This piece has new meaning for me now.  The smiles on the faces of some of Daglob's favorite characters seem to be to be welcoming him home.  That seems fitting.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Deaths Jester

FR has lost it's history and heart with this news. DG - or Bill as some knew him - was...I...<shakes head>...I can't...this is just such a hit....can't put words to how much he meant to FR and all of us...

...enjoy the pulps and older comics in the sky, old friend...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

I'm still in shock on this so I don't know that I have it in me to express this properly, but he will be missed greatly. On the one hand, I'm glad his pain is finally over, but on the other I'm sad I didn't have a chance to tell him what he meant to the community. Dude was a walking encyclopedia of mesh and skin knowledge, not to mention obscure comic and tv lore.

I'll miss you daglob

HarryTrotter

Terrible news,indeed. He will be missed.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Nyte Dragon

Always before, the Spring returned.
The bright world in its cycle spun
In the air and flowers, frass and fern,
Assured and cradled by the sun.

Always before, you could explain
The turning darkness of the earth,
And how that dark embraced the rain,
And gave the ferns and flowers birth.

Already I forget those things,
And how a vein of gold survives
The mining of a thousand springs,
The season of a thousand lives.

Now winter is my memory,
Now autumn, now summer light -
So every spring from now will be
Another season into the night.
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

Randomdays

This is very sad. Like Cyber, Daglob was a constant presence on the forums, always willing to help where he could and trying to preserve as much of the community as was possible.

I think being part of this community brought him joy, and I know he did for us.

Like others have said, I'm in shock and he will be deeply missed.

Randomdays

spydermann93

I'm at a loss for words.

I'm gonna miss you, Glob. You were an amazing guy and I hope your family is doing ok.

Silver Shocker

Saddening news. Goodbye Dag.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SuperPoweredYank

I recall back in 2014 Alex's website began updating again for the first time in awhile, and started hosting DaGlob's creations, which is when I first became aware of him. Bill's tastes often aligned with my own (i.e Universal Monsters, Doctor Who, old toys, obscure golden age oddities, etc...) and because of this I really got back into the game. When I finally decided to join the forums ~3 years ago, I quickly found out he was the most inviting and helpful member of the community. I wish I could've known him better.

Godspeed, Bill "DaGlob" Jackson.

naitvalis

Another great hero of this community have passed away, as for our dear friend Cyber Burn his help was unvaluable for some of us, i will repeat myself but sometimes in your life little things like this community could help survive, call it a sense of family maybe... a little warm, but help. People like Daglob make this happen (with all the pain) spending their time to read and comunicate, to help , i thank you my friend wherever you are, thank you.

Podmark

I'm very sorry to hear about Daglob. Following along with his troubles in his thread I was worried we might have to say goodbye one day. He was a big part of this community and he'll be missed.
I was always really impressed that he kept running the themed skinning challenges.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

dknight95

So sad to hear about this, my condolences to his family and friends.  Another one of the best of us in our little corner of the universe has left us for the journey beyond this earth.  This day today is a hard one for us all. It is so much easier to mourn in silence, but silence or not, one thing which I am sure we all appreciate today, is being able to share in each other's moments or thoughts of Daglob. Many will have their own stories or special memories, of the mark he left in this forum and in their lives.  He will live on through our thoughts of him and we must continue to focus on the incredible contributions Daglob brought us, rather than the fact that he is no longer here with us today as we know it. I am certain of two things though.  We are all here because somewhere somehow, we have all been touched by Daglob and that the universe sadly became a little dimmer today.  We were all very lucky to have had him as part of this forum and as much as he will be missed by us all, he will remain with us all, as long as we can remember. We will miss you Daglob, past, present and future.  Rest in Peace.
Be well, God bless, Be at peace, and may the forces of evil become lost and confused on the way to your home! - George Carlin

WyldFyre

I cannot express how deeply I feel this loss. His art and encouragement have saved all of us a long search at times. He was instrumental in my trying to preserve content in the museum. I will finish that task as an homage to one of the greatest people I have known. My heart is heavy indeed.
For Freedom!

SickAlice

I knew it was coming. I just lost three in a month to the Big C, next door neighbor was yesterday. This sucks. There ain't much to say that isn't known.

Daglob was dedicated to this community. He was dedicated to people period. Children included. He made requests for me to things for the kids in his family and I can say it was the proudest I was doing anything here. He checked on me frequently and kept my email current especially back when I was having surgeries often. Always inquired about my stepfather and mom too, they both have the condition, stepdad is terminal currently. Else endless projects done with this one, he had shared loves for the same obscure comics I do though in his case the projects here don't come close to the heart on that guy.

I hope you find yourself in the best place surrounded by love and kindness Bill. Cheers.

deanjo2000

Oh god this is terrible news to wake upto, I don't know what to say really. I loved his style, who he was and everything he did. He's helped me out endlessly and because of him my knowledge on the classics is much broader now ( he was forever doing a new character that I'd then have to google and I'd told him this more than once which I'm sure he liked) I will miss him terribly and I'm sure him and cyber are even now teaming up in a much better place.
I love you bill and thank you.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

detourne_me

Oh no.  This has been a rough year and a half. Daglob was such an integral member of the community. He'll truly be missed.

stumpy

Jeez.

Greener pastures, daglob.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Chuckles4099

Sad news indeed, he will be missed.

Ewzzy

I sad to hear this. I just returned to the community after nearly a decade away and Daglob was one of the first and most welcoming.

Epimethee

Thanks for the life you brought to this little community, Daglob. The place won't be the same without you.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

doctorchallenger

Damn.

Truly one of the best among us.

Damn.

windblown

I'm so sorry to hear this news...  He was a very important part of the community.

He'll be missed.

President Raygun

As prolific as he was talented, and always willing to help. Rest in peace, Daglob.

BentonGrey

Hello my friends, Daglob/Bill's daughter wrote to me recently and offered to share his obituary with us.  It's a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man, so I promised to pass it along:

https://hughesfuneralhome.org/tribute/william-bill-jackson/?fbclid=IwAR2YuTX3_l9x53SmBVyV9UhuFVB8H04j6S8uXYkifRW5T-M5phOds_6hrdU

I also want to share part of her note to me.  The love of our community for Bill has been a comfort to his family, and that's a good thing:

QuoteI have read some of the comments at FR. They make me cry, but they also do my broken heart good to read. When he was in the hospital he had me checking some of the posts and reading them to him, and I still had the forum tab open on my tablet. I saved the comments, and one day I hope that they will bring me more smiles than tears.

He truly loved y'all. He was the first, and remained one of the only, people to understand my having real and important friendships with people I only knew online, because he had them too, with y'all.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Ewzzy

That's about the sweetest thing I ever heard.

cmdrkoenig67

This is awful, I feel so bad for his family, condolences to those here who knew him well and to his family.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

Daglob/Bill was always here...I just expected he was always going to be here...I know that's dumb. :(

Dana

docdelorean88

I didn't know DaGlob well, but he made such an impact on me. I joined this forum when I was in my mid teens. DaGlob was one of the first names I remember seeing repeatedly, and how open and open, kind, and responsive he was to everyone who called this place home.  And I can genuinely say that over the  course of last 13 years of my calling this place home, regardless of what was happening in the community(and even in his own real world life), he continued to be that ambassador for every one he interacted with here.

We mainly only ever interacted through comments through the thread, but over the years he helped me find skins/meshes(frequently taking the time to send them to me directly) numerous times, took lots of my requests and made them, and even made a skin based on a hero-machine design I once posted (in I think the fan art thread) just because he was inspired to do so. He always welcomed feedback ( both creatively and mechanically), and took the communities suggestions and ran with them when it came to content.

And he did all this with such dedication, that without a doubt,  you knew when you came around, he would be here(kind of like Coach from Cheers, and both of their passing seem to leave a similar hole in their respective communities). And yes, I was aware of his fight, and how relentless it had been over the years. But like Dana/cmdrkoenig67, some part of me always thought he'd be here. My heart is heavy, knowing that he has gone, but it is grateful knowing his pain is no more.

He was, is, and always will be, one of the great corner stones of this community. A shining example of not just a good forum member, but a good person.

Thank you DaGlob, from a kid who was looking for a place to fit in.

"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

cmdrkoenig67

That's a really wonderful note from his daughter too, thank you for sharing it, BG.

Rest in Peace, Bill/DaGlob

Dana

BentonGrey

Well said, DD.

Bill's daughter sent me a message to let me know that they will be having the services for him today at 2 PM CST.  They'll be livestreamed because of Covid, so if anyone wants to "attend", we have that option, which is really nice of her to share with us.

https://www.facebook.com/UnityOfMobile/
God Bless