News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Green Lantern Ring

Started by oktokels, July 02, 2021, 04:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oktokels

Hello, right now i'm creating a combo attribute for all green lanterns. I think all green lanterns should have this basic list of attributes:

Green Lantern (combo):

- Disciplined: The ring can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders by an outside party.

- Fast Healing: The ring has an ability to heal physical injuries; this seems to be a feature held over from the previous incarnations of the ring. Green Lantern can use the ring to repair minor injuries in himself or others.

- Fast Flier: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.

- Iron Guts: An atmosphere appropriate to the ring wielder's biology is created inside the force-field while body temperature is maintained and waste products are removed. The ring provides CL1000 life support when required.

- Immortal: The Power Ring features an emergency energy reserve, to be utilized only when the wielder faces mortal injury. This power automatically activates to preserve a Green Lantern's life and can be used only once during a 24-hour period, unless the power ring is recharged at the power battery. The effect can then last up to an additional twenty-four hours, to protect a Green Lantern if energy runs out in the void of space. The ring provides CL1000 life support when required.

- Plasma Sculptor: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.

- Enhanced Senses: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.

what do you think? Also, is it possible to simulate a ring discharge in game? while making it not too harsh on green lantern's battle performance???  :doh: :doh:

BentonGrey

Lots of good choices there, OK.  Here's what I've got in my 'Ringbearer' combo attribute:
Quote['ringbearer', 'guardianp', 'plasmasculptor', 'summoner4', 'metashieldp', 'ffactivedefense35', 'flier', 'disciplined'],
And my Lanterns all have Heavy Hitter, Heavy Lifter, and Light Speed.

It's a similar build, though I'm thinking that I should add Enhanced Senses.  That's a good call, as they are always scanning with their rings.  I give all of my Lanterns the ability to summon customized constructs too, and they have a passive energy shield, which though not necessarily a direct adaptation of their comic powers, works well, gameplay-wise.  Your move, having Immortal, is probably a more faithful portrayal, but I hate FF2's active defenses, so I try to avoid giving them to characters whenever possible.  I also have trouble getting the AI to reliably use the FFX FF1 Active Defenses, so the passive one is my compromise.  Mine can also throw a shield around someone else, which I think they should definitely have. 

As for your build, specifically, I have a couple of thoughts.  Though the ring is often shown to be able to help treat injuries, it doesn't usually do so on the immediate scale of "Fast Healing," at least in my experience.  Also, I see what you're going for with Iron Guts, but I think that would be more about environmental dangers than attacks, which Iron Guts would be more focused on.  That seems like something more covered by their shields in game context.

So, as for the ring charge, I toyed around with going to Battery Powered for my Lanterns in the DCUG, and I like that for Lanterns in general.  The trouble is that it doesn't work super well in a campaign because there's no way to restore that energy once you run out.  If you could recharge in some way (maybe by picking an energy X canister), then I think it would be perfect. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

oktokels

Nice ! Thanks for your answer.

Thoughts:

- What attribute is guardianp?  :doh:

- Summoner 4: I'm saving this one for the most powerful lanterns

- MetashieldDP: I was thinking about this one, but i really don't like that it takes so much energy all the time, and my lanterns get depleted and cannot attack.

- FF Active Defense: I'm already used to FF3R defenses, so i don't think i'll use this one.

- Heavy Hitter and Heavy Lifter: I see where are you going with these ones, but i think my lanterns should only use energy attacks, and leave this one for tanks and bruisers, who don't have a lot of ranged attacks.

- Light Speed: Now this is a good one, but i think my lanterns do enough energy damage already [Extreme Energy Beam].

QuoteAs for your build, specifically, I have a couple of thoughts.  Though the ring is often shown to be able to help treat injuries, it doesn't usually do so on the immediate scale of "Fast Healing," at least in my experience.  Also, I see what you're going for with Iron Guts, but I think that would be more about environmental dangers than attacks, which Iron Guts would be more focused on.  That seems like something more covered by their shields in game context.

Haha these are the 2 attributes that really makes me unsure about the combo. Nice of you to notice it so fast. Fast Healing: So in the documentation i read that lanterns can mantain like 4 or 5 ring effects at the same time, so it made sense to me that he could mantain a passive healing while he was battling, but i see now that it really doesn't work  that way, and is more of an active healing power. Same for Iron Guts, it seems that the lantern could have a passive protection going, but i think that i could be wrong with that also, because all of these powers are activated and not passive. I don't think that my lanterns will have a fast healing or iron guts now, but it bugs me a little that they can't use their ring for healing now hahahah Maybe a Heal and Self Heal FFX state swap or a Commuted Sentence power for healing allies of irradiated and acid burn.

QuoteSo, as for the ring charge, I toyed around with going to Battery Powered for my Lanterns in the DCUG, and I like that for Lanterns in general.  The trouble is that it doesn't work super well in a campaign because there's no way to restore that energy once you run out.  If you could recharge in some way (maybe by picking an energy X canister), then I think it would be perfect.

Yeah that was the idea i was thinking, but i don't like that my lanterns get to the point of having no energy for attacking, so i think i'll pass on this one for now.

Thanks again, this was super useful  :thumbup:

BentonGrey

Quote from: oktokels on July 03, 2021, 03:56:38 PM
Nice ! Thanks for your answer.

My pleasure, man.  I like spitballing about things like this.

Quote- What attribute is guardianp?  :doh:
That's Guardian (Physical), which lets you place a physical shield on someone else.

Quote- Summoner 4: I'm saving this one for the most powerful lanterns
That's fair.  Lanterns don't generally create the kind of fairly autonomous constructs that are modeled by this attribute, but it is really cool, and I had a blast creating custom constructs for all of my GLs.  I'd suggest giving less powerful Lanterns a lower level of this, though, as they still have the ability, even if they aren't good at it.

Quote- MetashieldDP: I was thinking about this one, but i really don't like that it takes so much energy all the time, and my lanterns get depleted and cannot attack.
Yeah, that's the tradeoff.  I find that if I'm pairing this with an active defense, it makes for a good balance.  I can make my Lanterns a little less tough, and this provides a bit of insurance.  Yet, when they get battered down, their defenses will fail, and then it won't take long to put them down.  If Superman catches Hal with his shields down and his reserve depleted, he can just about one-shot him.

Quote- FF Active Defense: I'm already used to FF3R defenses, so i don't think i'll use this one.
In an ideal world, we'd just have the  :ff: ADs back.  But sadly we live in an imperfect world, so we've got to make compromises in one direction or another.

Quote- Heavy Hitter and Heavy Lifter: I see where are you going with these ones, but i think my lanterns should only use energy attacks, and leave this one for tanks and bruisers, who don't have a lot of ranged attacks.
Like with summoner, this is about completionism and possibility for me rather than necessity.  You're designing your HFs for a bit of different purpose than mine, and that's cool.  But I like the Lanterns having the option, and they can also summon weapons for teammates.  Plus, again like Summoner, I had a blast giving them all custom weapons to summon.  It's fun to see Hal summon up a baseball bat or Kilowog summon up a hammer.

Quote- Light Speed: Now this is a good one, but i think my lanterns do enough energy damage already [Extreme Energy Beam].
So, I probably don't really need this one either, but it's an artifact from the HFs I based my build on, long, long ago.  I could/should probably remove it, but I'd have to rebalance all of my Lanterns, so it's easier just to keep using it.

QuoteHaha these are the 2 attributes that really makes me unsure about the combo. Nice of you to notice it so fast. Fast Healing: So in the documentation i read that lanterns can mantain like 4 or 5 ring effects at the same time, so it made sense to me that he could mantain a passive healing while he was battling, but i see now that it really doesn't work  that way, and is more of an active healing power. Same for Iron Guts, it seems that the lantern could have a passive protection going, but i think that i could be wrong with that also, because all of these powers are activated and not passive. I don't think that my lanterns will have a fast healing or iron guts now, but it bugs me a little that they can't use their ring for healing now hahahah Maybe a Heal and Self Heal FFX state swap or a Commuted Sentence power for healing allies of irradiated and acid burn.
I think the latter sounds like a really interesting idea.  That seems like the kind of thing the ring is used for most often during a fight, healing-wise.

Glad you find my rambling helpful!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

BentonGrey

Haha, I've discovered that I really can't add Tracker to my GLC attribute.  My GLs already have too many custom commands to use!  :D
God Bless

oktokels

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 08, 2021, 07:50:07 PM
Haha, I've discovered that I really can't add Tracker to my GLC attribute.  My GLs already have too many custom commands to use!  :D

lol  :D...anyway, it comes in handy for the AI as well. When enemies go stealth mode, the AI sometimes will use tracker or enhanced senses to follow invisible characters.

oktokels

I have another question, in case someone knows the answer. Let's say I have a character with a defense against piercing attacks, but is weak against energy attacks. Let's say this character is fighting a lantern. The lantern creates a sword of energy and attacks. The question is whether the character blocks the piercing attack or is struck down by the energy of the sword? Another way to ask it would be, does the attack of lanterns always count as energy or does it vary according to the construct?
Cheers

deanjo2000

I?d say construct, as when they create kryptonite it effected superman.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

oktokels

Quote from: deanjo2000 on March 18, 2022, 03:36:46 PM
I?d say construct, as when they create kryptonite it effected superman.
Very good information Deanjo, I was able to solve my doubt. Thanks !

oktokels

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 02, 2021, 07:42:56 PMSo, as for the ring charge, I toyed around with going to Battery Powered for my Lanterns in the DCUG, and I like that for Lanterns in general.  The trouble is that it doesn't work super well in a campaign because there's no way to restore that energy once you run out.  If you could recharge in some way (maybe by picking an energy X canister), then I think it would be perfect.

I've been thinking about this, and the only way I can think of to simulate the effect of charging the ring with the battery would be:
1, create a character called "lantern", which will be the lantern.nif, it will be an inanimate character that It does not move.
2, the green lantern character should have the battery power attribute and metal eater or symbiote
3, each lantern will have a private army made up of its own lantern.

So, Green Lantern enters the battle with a lantern at his side. When you are close to the lantern you can charge energy, but if you get too far away it won't charge. This will force the character to constantly return to the place where the lantern is to recharge his energy. I have yet to test this idea, but I'll leave it here for later testing or if anyone wants to elaborate further.

spydermann93

That sounds like a very interesting way of doing it.

Or perhaps instead of Private Army, you make is a Summon?

oktokels

Quote from: spydermann93 on May 14, 2022, 06:22:50 PM
That sounds like a very interesting way of doing it.

Or perhaps instead of Private Army, you make is a Summon?

Yes, you could summon it, although I don't know why you would want to do it that way, since i think if you don't have energy you won't be able to summon the lantern to charge energy lol  :D :D

spydermann93

Ha! I was thinking you could make it a zero energy summon, but maybe you can't :P

oktokels

Quote from: spydermann93 on May 14, 2022, 06:52:02 PM
Ha! I was thinking you could make it a zero energy summon, but maybe you can't :P
I don't know if it's possible to do a zero-cost summon  :blink:...
Anyway, the lantern would be indispensable for this build, so I wouldn't want to leave it out of the battle for a long time, that's why I'd prefer to have it close to me from the beginning via private army.
The other thing is that the lantern would be unmovable, so that would add more difficulty to the mechanics of the character. Having to go all the way back to recharge sounds kind of a thing that would happen in a green lantern comic  :ph34r: :ph34r: