News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Problems With Spiderman & The Marvel Knights

Started by SpecterFan, June 14, 2021, 08:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpecterFan

I have a problem with the "Spider-man & The Marvel Knights" mod. It has a "Custom_Characters" folder and a "hero" files folder of its own. The problem is I can't get the mod to see or use either one. How do I correct this?As always, any help will be appreciated.SpecterFan

BentonGrey

Howdy SF, can you tell us a bit more about what you mean about not being able to get the mod to see them?

For one thing, no mod can have a sub HF folder.  If that mod uses HFs, it must want you to put them in your main directory.  What does the Readme say?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 14, 2021, 02:00:33 PMFor one thing, no mod can have a sub HF folder.  If that mod uses HFs, it must want you to put them in your main directory.  What does the Readme say?

If this is an :ff: mod, it will have its own Heroes folder.

BentonGrey

D'oh!  Thanks Spyder!  I'm so used to  :ffvstr: these days, I forget that  :ff: works differently.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

SpecterFan

First question - This IS a mod for Freedom Force
The first two file locations are the file paths to my custom characters folder and my heroes folder respectively.
      (FF file folders)

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Art\custom_characters
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Heroes
The next two file locations are the file paths to the custom characters folder and the heroes folder found in "Spider-man and The Marvel Knights".     
(mod file locations)

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Spiderman\Art\custom_characters
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Spiderman\Heroes
The problem is that when I launch the mod, it does not recognize the "mod file locations" but instead uses the "FF file folders". I want the mod to "see" and use the correct folders.
SpectreFan

BentonGrey

Thanks for the clarification SF.  So, just off the top of my head, my guess would be that the problem is EITHER the mod install directory or the target of the shortcut.  Did this mod come with an installer?  Either way, right click on the mod's shortcut and make sure all the datapaths point to the right places.
God Bless

SpecterFan

I just checked the properties for the mod shortcut. The "target" looked O.K. so I left it alone. The "start in" folder looked questionable so I changed it to the following - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Spiderman".

After changing all the shortcuts, I tried to launch the mod and received this: "Freedom Force data is missing. Please insert the Freedom Force CD.

Next?

P.S. Just remembered - This mod downloaded as "SpidermanMK.exe". I tried to find out were I found it but the list of mods I was using on this site is gone. Sorry... :(

BentonGrey

Okay, so I downloaded and installed the mod, and I had to fix the target and starts in lines of its shortcut.  Once I did that, characters showed up fine, though for some reason, not in the character window.  Here's what my entries look like.  Adjust yours to reflect your install directory:

Target:
Quote"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force\fforce.exe" -game Spiderman

Starts in:
Quote"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force"

My guess is that's your issue.  That, or you've got a bad install/download.
God Bless

SpecterFan

Thanks BG,

I have FF and FFv3R through GOG - not Steam.

However.....

Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich are both installed under: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force" and from there into there into their respective folders. This is THE ONLY WAY I could make this work.

Back to you BG

BentonGrey

SF, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean with "from there into their respective folders." 

It should work if you just change the datapaths I posted to reflect your own data paths.
God Bless

spydermann93

SF, can you post the directories where both of your games are installed?

I.e. the file paths where you can find your fforce.exe and ffvt3r.exe

It sounds like they're installed into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Freedom Force" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich" directories. Is that correct?

SpecterFan

FF Address locations

Game files located at -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force

FF custom character files located at -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Art\custom_characters

FF Hero files located at -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Heroes

Spider-man & The Marvel Knights Mod

Mod files located at -C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Spiderman

Mod Custom Character files located at -C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Spiderman\Data\custom_characters

Mod  Hero files located at -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Spiderman\Heroes

FFv3R Address locations

Game files located at -C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich

FFv3R Custom Character files located at -C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters

FFv3R Hero files located at -No Idea

BentonGrey

Yeah, they hid the  :ffvstr: HF directory away in a stupid place.

So, here's a problem with the custom_characters folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Spiderman\Data\custom_characters
should be:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Spiderman\Art\custom_characters

There's nothing in the Spiderman Heroes folder, so the other one really doesn't matter too much, unless you want to play with your own HFs, but either way, it looks correct.

Anyway, your shortcut should look like this:
Target:
Quote"C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\fforce.exe" -game Spiderman
Start in:
Quote"C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force"

Don't forget the quotation marks.  If that doesn't work, delete the mod folder and redownload and reinstall.

And don't forget what I said about the characters not showing up under the characters button.  Make sure you try to start the campaign or do a Dangerroom match to test it.
God Bless