News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

How to Extrude if even possible?

Started by SickAlice, November 01, 2021, 02:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

I'm missing something or it's not present but what it says on the tin. In the case of these models or at least the custom (which are legacy anyways) basics it just seems to be no can do. I try the usual methods like unwelding first but no matter extrusion only results in just removing the face and moving it away. Even if it's still welded actually which shouldn't be happening of course, it should then stretch at the verts. This is isn't essential, I know how to cheat my around it but I would like to make something that's linear and conforms to our standard texturing, in todays I'm having a go at toes again. I know Bacchite "has" toes btw but eh, she really doesn't and her foot is just a square. They just did the overhead squash mapping right on that one is all but I want the toes to be profound like Johnny Patches fingers are. For that I need to extrude from what's already there of course then retexture so when people skin it everything will line up nice. I'm probably going to cheat right now just so I can get this one out the door but anytime I would implement this if I knew how.

Randomdays

Not exactly sure if I'm getting the meaning right.I don't extrude a lot, but I grabbed the 4 verts on a bacchite's foot edge, extruded the face, or the region,  and it appeared to work normally

Is this what it's supposed to look like?

maybe this will help https://artisticrender.com/extrude-in-blender-basics-along-curve-circles-manifold-and-more/

Couldn't you just add verts with the "edge - subdivide", and reshape the foot into toes?

SickAlice

Not what I said at all no. Thanks anyways.

Just to be clear to whom this is addressed I know it's baked in and probably not something that can be resolved without just starting over. I seriously can't find the value though, I mean even in Wordpad. I didn't go through every incarnation and frankly I mostly love your works and want to recycle them specifically. But I also incurred snap back and fog here and I assume it's coming from the same source. Again in the actual case I'm working on now it isn't an issue. I just made feet from scratch. Snapback did occur but in this case it won't be visible anyways so that's all good. And again this is pressing or anything, just more a thing I want to know and would be a useful thing to me more than anything in being good to skinners again here. But for the life of me I just can't see where the value is. I did consider by the way this was happening in translation but I tested others against it just by habit, the above mentioned Bacchite though I said native files are fine so that isn't where it's happening either. And I know you know fog is actually a bad thing, not something you like just letting slide much less ending up distributed down the line into the mix either. So if anyone who worked on them receives this and pops in and remembers thank you very much in advance. And I know how it goes to be clear there, not being grabby. Just a thing that would be convenient to me and save me a bit of time as well. You know how it is when you get to the finish, see that thing and know it's going to muddy the waters but you don't to scrap it either. That's pretty much where I'm at with this.