News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Future State

Started by Nyte Dragon, January 14, 2021, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyte Dragon

Has anyone checked out this newest offering from DC? It puts me in mind somewhat of Marvel's M2 line, which I enjoyed back in the day. I have always liked the idea of 'legacy' characters. Since the major comics companies tend to dictate that everything has to pretty much stay static, letting characters change and grow is nice to see. I loved, loved, LOVED them making Superman a dad. He can juggle planets, but he's just like the rest of us when it comes to deal with a son (or daughter).

Anyways, I've checked out what has been released so far. I have limited fundage, so I can't pick up all of them, but there are a few that perked my interest. And a few that I just couldn't get into. No spoilers ahead.

THE GOOD

The ones I liked were the 'Justice League', 'Teen Titans', and 'Robin Eternal'. Titans being the bottom of the list, it was good, but just a bit too post-apocalyptic. Robin Eternal features my favorite Robin, Tim Drake. It also gives a vibe of it being something of a precursor to 'Batman Beyond' in a way. Not the characters as much as the city and tech, but I like it.

And the one that I was happily surprised with was Justice League. I wasn't blown away with the 'Superman of Tomorrow' ,'The Next Batman', or 'Wonder Woman' books, but I loved them in the League book. And the other new members were great as well, especially the new Aquawoman. If they handle her right, this could be the 'Spider-Girl' of the Future Shock line.

THE BAD

'Harley Quinn', 'Swamp Thing', 'The Flash' along with the books for the new Trinity I mentioned above fall here. These might be for some other people, but I didn't care for them. I just couldn't get into Harley's new book, just didn't vibe with me. Swamp Thing just seemed too much like a Marvel 'The End'-type book.

And .... 'The Flash' :angry: :banghead: :angry:!

[rant mode on]
SERIOUSLY! WTF does DC have against Wally West!?! I'm not going into details, but DC has spent like the last decade or so doing nothing but a hatchet job to the character of poor Wally West!
[rant mood off]

Okay deep breath, so folks might like the direction of this book, but (as you can tell) it's not for me.

THE MEH

These books perked my interest, but not enough to fall into my very limited pull list.

'Green Lantern' was okay, but I am just not liking the main storyline. The Jessica Cruz back-up story was much better, and I would love a book just following her story. And the Guy Gardner story was bleh!

'Kara Zor-El : SuperWoman' was decent all the way around, but just feel short in that I had no real draw to the character. This is one that I could see getting better as it progresses, but it's just not for me right now.

'Dark Detective' just narrowly missed getting picked up by me, but I liked the Robin book better. The story takes Bruce Wayne and strips him down to basics, wayyyyy back to basics in ways. I am not letting any spoilers out, but you see Bruce at the bottom of where Batman could be.

I left this post as spoiler free as possible, but as we discuss everything, just remember to use spoilers for folks.

Now has anyone else been following along? What are your thoughts and impressions?
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

Silver Shocker

We spoke of this briefly in the main DC comics thread, but I can't really take the plunge because it's just so MUCH.

Three things:

1) To quote Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall on New 52 Future's End: Here's the thing: these futures....ARE NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! Credit where credit was due, I did get to see Songbird as an Avenger, and that was cool, and I LOVED seeing Cassie Lang become Stinger (I even bought the toy!) but little bits of Genis-Vell are still floating across the multiverse last I checked

2. I'm still of the opinion that Superman & Son was the best thing to come out of Rebirth. I'm also of the opinion Wally was one of the better parts of Rebirth, which makes it all the more frustrating that DC's been doing him dirty for the last few years.

3. Red X is best boy.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa