Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Started by BentonGrey, January 14, 2021, 02:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Huh....so, I just saw this trailer for a new game based on the Suicide Squad, and for some reason clearly influenced by the movie, though it was a flop and an embarrassment. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EVFYstVuVk

It looks like it could probably be fun, though it's clearly trying a bit too hard to be edgy....also, Captain Boomerang uses a gun.  For reasons?  If this were less movie-y, I would be more interested.  It's a moot point anyway, I suppose, as I don't have and am not going to get a modern system. 

Some of y'all might be interested, though.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

A bit late to this one, I'm afraid. The original trailer came out several months ago, during DC's rather well intentioned "DC Fandome" event.

Anyway, I have a pathologial hatred of video game trailers that don't show gameplay, but this trailer really impressed me. Suicide Squad as an IP, for some reason (Secret Six?) has become more of dark comedy instead of the more politically charged series it originally was in the comics. Anyway,

QuoteIt looks like it could probably be fun, though it's clearly trying a bit too hard to be edgy....also, Captain Boomerang uses a gun.  For reasons?  If this were less movie-y, I would be more interested.  It's a moot point anyway, I suppose, as I don't have and am not going to get a modern system.

I need to stress, really quick, that I HATE the original premise for the game "SS Kills the Justice League" with Deadshot aiming a gun at Supes. They did this in the live action movie, the Justice League vs SS comic book mini (haven't read it yet, I have the trade), and now this. Guys, they can't take them. You've already got Batman, if you can't sell the SS without them going after Supes and the league, maybe don't try?

Anyway...

QuoteIt looks like it could probably be fun, though it's clearly trying a bit too hard to be edgy....also, Captain Boomerang uses a gun.  For reasons?  If this were less movie-y, I would be more interested.  It's a moot point anyway, I suppose, as I don't have and am not going to get a modern system.

Fraid I'm gonna have to take you to school on this one, pops. This game is CLEARLY heavily inspired by very dark-comedy themed cartoony shooters such as Team Fortress 2, Borderlands and, to a lesser degree, Overwatch. Personally I think it's a great angle for a game. I'm even ok with the tweaks to Boomer since in a game context they're going to need to have some level of gameplay balance and make him fun to play as.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

I have zero interest in this one. The premise is dumb, I don't like shooters in general, and I'm so tired of the Squad. Maybe I'll feel different with Gunn's take, but this just feels meh.

That said, it floors me that this game is apparently "Arkham canon" (why, what purpose does that serve) when Gotham Knights apparently isn't. Like, what.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Tomato on January 15, 2021, 03:08:57 AM
That said, it floors me that this game is apparently "Arkham canon" (why, what purpose does that serve) when Gotham Knights apparently isn't. Like, what.

If that's true....fascinating.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Boomerang uses a gun and uses his boomerangs to... teleport? It's a VERY WEIRD choice.
At least he's IN IT. And Deadshot (but with a jetpack for some reason).
This whole game is weird choices. The Arkham thing, what? How? Gotham Knights seems way more Arkham canon. This Harley doesn't seem related.

Anyhow, pretty sure this is coming out because of not the original SS movie, but the new James Gunn version, which keeps the stuff people liked (Harley and Boomerang) and ditches... everything else? King Shark is in the new movie.
This is what the Suicide Squad property has become, yeah. It's not my Suicide Squad but whatever.
I mean, I already complained a bunch when they made a Defenders show, when it was clearly a Heroes for Hire show.

Apparently you can play this solo so I might give it a shot somewhere down the line, but yeah got to see those gameplay trailers first. Is it first person? Third? No idea what this will be.

BentonGrey

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 15, 2021, 07:21:20 PM
Boomerang uses a gun and uses his boomerangs to... teleport? It's a VERY WEIRD choice.

Ha, RIGHT?!

Yeah, I'm sure I'm behind the times, as I'm not keeping up with things the way I used to, but it's still new to FR.  :P

And indeed, REALLY weird choice for their canon.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

Boomerang's power in this seems to be inspired by the ability used by protagonist Noctis in Final Fantasy XV, as well as the "Yellow Flash" Minato from Naruto, both of which use a technique where they would throw a weapon, then clear the distance by teleporting to its location.

So for further background on the SS video game. They've been trying on and off to make an SS game ever since Batman Arkham Origins included a post-credit scene where Waller attempted to assemble the league and portable installment Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate included a subplot about the same thing (which included various Squad-based Easter Eggs, another cameo by Waller, and Bronze Tiger as a boss in the game). The game, the story goes was being worked on, then cancelled, then here we are.

A quick check online (wikipedia) indicates that SS will be a third person open world action game, which means it may be something similar to Saints Row or its spiritual successor Agents of Mayhem. As for Gotham Knights, they're recasting all the voice actors, so I'm assuming that's just yet another case of DC/WB being cheap, lazy and not understanding their user base and how to play to them.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

So on the Arkham canon thing... so my understanding is, SS is being made by Rocksteady, who made the main trilogy (Asylum, City, Knight) and because it's their baby and the SS game is unlikely to conflict with much (other than maybe Harley) they're calling it Arkham canon to help with sales.

Meanwhile, Gotham Knights is being made by WB montreal, who made both Origins games. Despite featuring a scenario that's near identical to the end of Arkham Knight (Batman gone) and featuring a supporting cast pretty much identical to the one we left with in Arkham Knight (Robin is Tim Drake, rather than Damian, who despite my love of Tim would be the better pick here) it's NOT Arkham canon, presumably because Rocksteady doesn't want the follow-up to knight being made by another studio, even though they clearly have no interest in doing so.

What's mind boggling to me here is, the studio who had no hand in the games that teased an Arkham universe SS is making the Arkham SS game, and the studio that had no hand in the main series is making arguably a followup to Knight. it's bizarre.

That all having been said, no interest in SS, am interested in Gotham Knights.

Silver Shocker

DC Superhero Girls is getting a video game on the Nintendo Switch. And as far as I can tell, it's not a port of a mobile game or anything like that. It's a proper console game.

This amuses me.
~Rocky Balboa