News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Freedom Force on Wikipedia

Started by BentonGrey, January 06, 2021, 12:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, I was goofing off online today and decided to create an account that would allow me to edit Wikipedia so I could tweak the  :ffvstr: entry, which was pretty bare bones.  I've added a section about us and the modding community.  Check it out and tell me what y'all think, what I should change, and if there is anything else I should add:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Force_vs_the_3rd_Reich
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

hoss20

I think it looks pretty good. You mention the things that have been added without making it cumbersome from too much material. You also mention that we're still alive and creating content (some of us, anyway). These are both things that people are looking for, especially if they have recently stumbled upon Freedom Force.

UnkoMan

It might get edited some day to sound more neutral, but don't feel bad about that. It's pretty cool that you did this. I just know wikipedia gets real uptight about their rules sometimes.

Of interesting note, I went to the talk page, and now somebody is asking mod advice there? "the sound never played in dcug"
Maybe they ought to come over here. I don't know how to direct them, ha ha.

BentonGrey

Thanks guys!

Ha, Unko, I tried so hard to restrain myself in the writing!

Where is there someone asking for advice?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

WyldFyre

If you click the 'talk' tab, there are a couple from 2011.

It looks good to me btw.
For Freedom!

SuperPoweredYank

BentonGrey

Thanks WyldFyre! 

What should I cite, SPY?
God Bless

Tomato

I'd switch some of the direct links (such as on "mod tools") to citations. That's how most wiki entries format that sort of thing.

Also, personally I'd remove references to Copyrighted works... It's such an old game we're unlikely to be bothered with, but it is still illegal (fair use is pretty gray area, but there are reasons the wiki page itself might be a bigger issue than FR) and maybe we shouldn't have easily searchable terms for the lawyers to jump on. Something along the lines of "Modders brought many characters from other franchises to life in the Freedom Force games, and there were soon a wide range of mods for a variety of fan favorite superheroes." and excluding the following sentence entirely. The implication is still there, but we're not calling out "Lol, illegal copyright abuse here"

stumpy

Great idea to add to the FFvTTR article, BG. I also took a stab at wiki-fying the mod section a bit, and elided the direct Marvel and DC references. I like your style of writing, but I know that Wikipedia tends to favor fairly brief and neutral articles over enthusiastic articles or those that describe X by telling the story of X.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

BentonGrey

Ahh, I gotcha' 'Mato, thanks!  And thanks Stumpy for the help!  I think a more subtle mention of the copyrighted content might be good, though, as 'Mato suggested.
God Bless

Silver Shocker

How neat. I don't peek in on stuff relating to the Freedom Force game itself and it's user-created content itself in recent years, but I gotta admit this thread got my intention.

Not too bad. It sounds like the version I saw just now is a bit different than what it was when you started your thread, and those changes may have been for the better.

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 06, 2021, 05:38:41 AM
It might get edited some day to sound more neutral, but don't feel bad about that. It's pretty cool that you did this. I just know wikipedia gets real uptight about their rules sometimes.

Sounds about right.
I recall a page (I'm curious if it's still on there) chronicling the "stupidest editing wars" on Wikipedia. That's what happens when you have nerds online with a sufficient amount of free time and stubbornness. Neutrality and citations are often a sticking point, and the kind of things people will argue about (including on wikis) can be esoteric and amusing in their own way.
Tvtropes once described themselves, years ago with the comment  "We're not Wikipedia. We're a buttload more informal" than Wikipedia. And they have moved a bit towards being less informal in the years since then. Humorously, someone on Wikipedia fired back during a debate with the passive aggressive comment "We're not Tvtropes."

The mentioning of Freedom Reborn does feel a bit like an advertisement to get people to check out the community. Now I find myself wondering about more people coming here and seeing posts by me and others and what they might think.  :unsure: In recent years I've kinda liked that this place is like our little "secret lair", tucked away in a corner away from the rest of the internet, free from the web, chaotic elements elsewhere.

The phrasing "campaigns (adventures consisting of multiple missions)" and "The developers" seems a bit different from the kind of phrasing I often see for other Wikipedia phrases for other content in the area of films and video games. If people on Wikipedia don't like it, it might end up alerted to be more similar to other articles.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa