Do ranged attack have the same knockback with melee attacks?

Started by Jimaras8, August 07, 2020, 11:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimaras8

Hello folks, i have a question i have been meaning to ask for a while. If a character has a strength that allows for great knockback let's say level 7 will his ranged attacks have the sam KB with his melee attacks? So if i put a ranged flying_melee attack with high dmg and high knockback will it have the exact same knockback with a melee attack with the exact same stats, high dmg and high KB?

BentonGrey

So, I'm sure there is someone who can give a more complete answer than I can, but it is my understanding that strength actually does affect the KB of ranged attacks (which is sorta' crazy), but I don't know to what degree.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Jimaras8

Benton, do you know if the magnitude of the attack affects KB as well? For example a character with a 7 level strength has a melee attack that has high dmg/high KB. Will this attack do the same amount of KB as a very high dmg/ high knockback attack? We are only changing the damage of the attack in this scenario.

BentonGrey

Jim, I am not positive, but I think that magnitude does not effect it.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Jimaras8

I thought so myself, just wanted to make it sure. So the only two factors are the actual knockback value and strength, right?

BentonGrey

God Bless

spydermann93

As far as I know, KB for ranged attacks is identical to the KB for Strength 4 melee attacks.

The only two things that would affect the KB (other than the KB level itself) would be the power's level (a level 5 Med KB will send an opponent further than a level 1 Med KB) and the defender's weight.

Strength does not affect ranged KB in my testing.

Jimaras8

The reason im asking guys is because im trying to add a new power to namor and with emphasis to KB and im not seeing a difference between high and extreme knockback in the power. Namor has lvl 7 strength.

What im basically asking is if a ranged melee attack with a high kb will have the same kb as a standard melee attack with the same kb value (high) at a level 7 character.

spydermann93

No. The KB for ranged attacks is equivalent to the KB of a Str 4 melee attack of the same KB.

So a projectile with High KB will be the same as a Str 4 melee with High KB.

If the attack has high enough KB or the target is too heavy, the KB distances will be very similar.

Jimaras8

Ok, i think im starting to get it. So ranged melee attack with a high kb on a level 7 character will have LESS kb than a melee attack with high kb on the exact same character?

Jimaras8

Ok, last question. I noticed that a high kb on a lvl 7 melee attqck haa almost no difference with extreme kb. Even in the description of the power the kb stays at "high", not "extreme". Have you noticee that to be the case.

spydermann93

It's taking into account the defender's weight.

Also, as far as I've noticed, I've never seen the in-game text say that an attack will cause Extreme KB to anybody during a fight (assuming they're 170 lbs or higher), but they still go flying if you whack 'em.

That might just be a bug in the game's UI or it might just be how the KB calculations work.

Jimaras8

Lets say its a standard 170 weight.

I dont want to drag this long so lets summarize:

1 all ranged attacks like flying_melee or whatnot cause kb equivalent to a level 4 melee attack.

2. There is a difference between high and extreme kb on characters with a certain amount of strength.

So taking things into account and aiming for namors power to emphasize on kb my best bet for maximum kb is a melee attack with extreme kb, right?