News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Using the mesh as a Bounding Box?

Started by SickAlice, July 10, 2020, 02:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

Is this possible? In most cases a bounding box is a simple shape of course but I swear and somehow lost the knowledge of how to even do this that one could instead select the actual 3d model as the bounding box? It's been a long time since I needed to make a bounding box but it's come up, specifically I need this for The Slime Pit so characters can interact with it yet leaving the slime itself without a bounding box so it can pass through characters of course like an FX or weapon. I can cobble up a simple shape to fit my work otherwise but I'm more just curious.

detourne_me

Will the slime pit be part of a map? Im not sure if map objects need their own bounding boxes. Maybe they do, idont remember if objects like light poles or garbage cans have bounding boxes or not.

You may also be able to copy the .nif, make it invisible and paste it into the bounding box node. Maybe scale it a little larger to prevent clipping?

SickAlice

Not what I just asked both you but thanks anyways and Nifskope is how that's done Kommando, right click > Edit. And yeah second game calls for it with interactive objects DM, look at the phone booth from the city just for a simple example. In the case of mine it's an interactive entity that creates a status effect hence the character needs to pass through the slime, however for visual reasons I don't want them to pass through the wall of the basin (see What Have You Skoped) but rather to walk over it like steps. Anyways again not looking for alternatives, I know how to do all that as I said in my OP. I probably will just make a simple shape and skope it in and just copy the position from the real mesh, I was just looking for a way to cut the poly count down and perhaps add a little nicer look to the whole thing. And I recalled just using the model itself as a BB was an option but it's been so long since I even used one, the Rolling Ball I did for Sonic I think, that I don't remember how to even do that. That's what I'm asking here. And yeah DM I thought about that but again that drives the poly count up and I made that thing pretty heavy as it is, just the Hordak emblem alone is around 1,200 faces. Figure this is a thing people might use in a mod or something with many other nifs, well you get the idea. I have an awesome video card but I know not everyone does and I try and keep it in mind at least these days. I used to make some utterly huge stuff with little consideration of course, just take a look at the Emplate I did for example lol. Never again, alpha stencils for hair or bust from here on out.

SickAlice

Coming back to this to confirm it's doable and a snap. Pretty much anyway you want to do it. In my case I made a very simple boxy 3d model to keep the poly count down and set it exactly where I do want characters to be able to walk around and where I don't want them to pass through. Imported it with Nifskope and matched it up to my model. Added the thing in Editor and ticked it with the standon attribute in the templates tab.