News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

FF fx.dat

Started by abenavides, May 18, 2020, 04:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenavides

I'm fixing a few things in my FF Classic mod and don't seem to be able to use the FFv3R editor to look at fx.dat.
Anyone know if this has always been the case?

I know I have an issue reading FF characters.dat but thought everything else was fine.

Assuming it is a problem, anyone happen to be able to still run the old FF edit? I need to check the settings for an fx that's missing in the ffv3r version - turret blast, so I can add it to the mod.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

spydermann93

Do you mean that you're trying to look at the fx.dat of :ff: with FFEdit?

Or are you trying to look at the fx.dat of vanilla :ffvstr: with FFEdit?

Assuming that you're using the FFEdit that works with :ffvstr:

abenavides

"yes" to your first question.
I am using  :ffvstr: FFEDIT to look at the fx.dat of  :ff:

and it is just completely blank. I can look at objects.dat with no problem.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

spydermann93

Hmm... yeah, I have the same issue. Shows up blank for me.

BentonGrey

Hmm, well I can't read the dat, but I'm pretty sure that the settings for turret blast would just be a beam that comes from the weapon node.  Unfortunately, I don't have that FX in my massive FX collection, so I can't check.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

abenavides

Yeah, thx - I'm gonna have to just guess. Any suggestions for sound?  just noticed I can't read sounds.dat either.
www.alexff.com

spydermann93

Aren't there turrets that are used in some of the :ffvstr: missions?

Maybe their sounds can work for you?

abenavides

There are turret rotate and pitch definitions. But I did find 4 "turret blast wav" files in ffv3r sounds.ff file, so I'll set that up
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Would this help any?

Spoiler

BentonGrey

CB, you're awesome.

And that goes to show what I know.  I had forgotten they were projectiles and not beams, though in retrospect, it should have been obvious.  :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

abenavides

Awesome CB! How did you get those pics?
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

I used FFEdit for FF1 to access the  :ff: Dat Files. Then I just took a regular screenshot and cropped it in PaintDotNet.

abenavides

You can still run FF FFedit?  :o
Do you have an old WinXP machine ?

or did you get it running on Win10 somehow?
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

I got it running on my Windows 10 Desktop. I don't know if the game still works or not, but for now, FFEdit does.

abenavides

might have to give it a try. Guess I'd have to install the cd version?
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

That's what I have installed.

abenavides

Weird. I completely uninstalled my GOG version of FF.
Installed from the CD version (wow, brought back memories as I watched that installer. I must have run that a zillion times years ago)

Installed FFeditor OK, but when I run it I get "FFEdit not setup correctly".
I then ran the registry file fix (on these forums) and still no luck.

Not critical as I hopefully won't need it anytime soon, but just strange.
May try it again the next time I blow up my laptop and have to reinstall windows.
www.alexff.com

BentonGrey

There seems to be a very inconsistent response from  :ff: in Windows 10.  Some folks can run it and attendant programs pretty easily, others have no end of problems.
God Bless

Cyber Burn

If it helps, this is what I use as my guidelines for the installation order. The only thing I did differently though, was that I installed the DotNetFx first so I could re-install PaintDotNet since I use that for work once in a while. But otherwise, this is basically the list I follow.

Install Order

FF1 (Basic):

1. Base Game
2. Patch 1.2 (or 1.3, depending)
3. Freedom Force Editor
4. Character Tool (.exe file)
5. Character Tool Update (.zip file)
6. EZ Danger Room
7. EZFX 5.1
8. FFX 2.6

FFv3R (Basic):

1. Base game
2. FFvt3R Mod Tools (Alex's Site)
3. Super Hero TV
4. EZFX 6.0
5. FFX 3.3
6. PFX 1.2
7. DotNetFx (.NET Framework Version 1.1.4322) *If Needed/May Have Compatibility Issues*
8. EZ Nif_V20

Every other extraneous add-on is a matter of merging Dat Files correctly. For example, Goggles' Map Pack, if you use it, uses FFX 3.2, but will still need EZFX installed into it if it doesn't already exist on your computer. Let's keep in mind that FFX 3.0 auto-detects, and comes with, Dat Files that are pre-configured to included EZFX.

abenavides

Ah, I missed the patch - so used to using gog nowadays. That might be it.

FYI for FFv3R - the new EZFX 6.1 should be installed AFTER FFX3.3 (and EZFX 6.1 includes everything in PFX 1.2)
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Yeah, I just haven't updated my list yet.  :P