News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

object mesh texture

Started by abenavides, July 10, 2020, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenavides

Is there a way to set a texture for an object using just nifskope? Or do I need to use blender?

I'm looking at 3d objects (.obj files) on the net that I might want to use in FF. I've managed to convert one to NIF using nifskope but is it possible to set a texture for it?
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Cyber Burn

I believe so, is it already textured, or is it blank?

abenavides

www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Cyber Burn

I believe that you can do this in NifSkope, I'll have to check into it.

SickAlice

If all else fails send it my way and I'll run it through Milkshape and assign a texture to it, couple second process with that really so it won't be any bit of a chore for me.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: SickAlice on July 11, 2020, 10:31:50 AM
If all else fails send it my way and I'll run it through Milkshape and assign a texture to it, couple second process with that really so it won't be any bit of a chore for me.

That would probably be the best choice right now. Sorry, Alex.

SickAlice

I declined actually. It turned out to be a lot more complicated and the kind of work a proffesional would be paid by the hour to do, and I don't do for profit jobs here. A double spiraled Möbius strip with twenty three thousand six hundred and ninety six faces to be exact and absolutely no UV coordinates applied it. Pretty looking model but at that rate it exceeds the polycount for the game engines anyways.

Just for posterity sake or in the event one ever considers making or tasking someone to make one here's on of many tutorials on the subject. This dude drones on a bit but I picked this for a reason, you want to request the UV map be done at the point where it's still just a long flat rectangle. Then all faces on that rectangle assigned separately on the texture, so the top, bottom and sides and place them flush on the texture for seamless mapping. At about 7:48 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deIyUny6s2A

When it isn't done like that it can't ever be returned to that state so it has to instead be mapped face by overlapping face from the final product. This should give you an image of why that is problematic. Even if one finds a way or another you'd end up with something nearly impossible to texture. Here is the unwrapped model that Alex had using that method. First I brought the polycount way down so that when it is put in game with multiple other models it won't crash peoples video cards. This also serves to bring the amount of faces that would need to be textured WAY down, as you see from what I typed above is a lot to try and texture and line up. I unwrapped it so that ever face is accessible on the texture and nothing overlaps. I then included a wireframe which if you look at is a complete nightmare that looks like a map of the human brains neuron activity. And that's the model at it's simplest whereas had it been give UV at the start it would have just been a simple rectangle with a few divisions as well lower poly, another model I've seen this year with an increased facecount for reasons I don't really understand (the lute of course CB was the other).

http://catman.freedomforceforever.com/temp/mobstripwip.rar