FFXEdit and the Steam version of Freedom Force/FFVtTR

Started by OmegaX123, April 02, 2020, 11:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OmegaX123

Greetings, heroes! I'm having a bit of an issue in that I am trying to run FFXEdit on my Steam installs of both games but it seems to think that the game is installed in C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force (or C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich for the second game), and won't let me change the directory it's scanning in. I even tried running the FFVtTR version in Win98 compatibility mode and no luck.

BentonGrey

I don't know about the  :ff: version, as I haven't used it in years, but the  :ffvstr: version works fine for me.  You installed the latest version of FFX to your proper directory? 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

OmegaX123

Latest versions I could find for both games (2.6 for  :ff:, 3.3 for  :ffvstr:), and 100% in the correct folder (steamapps\common\( :ff:/ :ffvstr:). The problem is that the directory being shown in the "Install Dir" field in both is Program Files, like it a)thinks I'm running the old disc-based version and b)doesn't acknowledge that it's possible to have it installed to a nonstandard drectory.

spydermann93

Yeah, that's a really annoying bug that it has. If only you could just change it, but whatever.

Anyways, try this:

1) Copy your ffx3 folder and rename it to whatever you'd like

2) Go inside of the "ffx3" folder (NOT the one you just renamed) and uninstall the mod.

3) Run FFvtTR through Steam. Once the main menu loads, exit the game.

4) Re-run the FFX3 installer. Don't copy/paste the install directory, but browse for it (annoying, I know).

5) Run the control centre again and see if that fixed it.

That's what I do with my GoG version and it works.

OmegaX123

I just realized I never replied, it worked (though there was no uninstaller for FFX on  :ff: so I had to uninstall the game entirely), thanks. Now my only problem is that half of my meshes are either for  :ffvstr: or broken, they're showing up as untextured cubes, and I can't get all the stuff installed to back-convert them using the tutorial I found on here for some reason.

spydermann93

Did you accidentally delete your characters folder or something?

Typically, your downloaded meshes and such would go here: Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters

That shouldn't have been removed when you uninstalled FFX3.3