News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Hey! I'm Back! and I Need Your Help

Started by SpecterFan, March 02, 2020, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpecterFan

It's been awhile since I was here last. I finally made it back.

Man! Who moved the furniture??

I need some help. I've been trying to add some magnificent art to Freedom Force - which I purchased on GOG - but Character Tool isn't working. I'm working with Windows 10 on a laptop and it won't cooperate. I did get it to run properly once - but only briefly (about 24 hrs.) before it crashed  again. Now I can't get it working at all. Can anyone give me a hand with this? It would be greatly appreciated. If there's an alternative to Character Tool, let me know. I have Character Tool 2 but that only works for FFv3R.

Let me know, please.

People - it feels great to be back.

BentonGrey

Howdy SF, welcome back!  The community is smaller, but we're still kicking and still creating awesome stuff!

I'm afraid that the  :ff: tools are a little difficult to get working, or at least so I understand.  I mainly deal with  :ffvstr: these days.  However, I think folks have had some success by setting the mod tools for the first game to run in compatibility mode for XP SP 1 or 2.  Try different versions and see if you can find a winner.  Also set it to run as admin.  Someone else may have more detailed suggestions for you.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bearded

I've got a character tool exe that works. I don't know if I hexed it, or got it from someone else, but give me a couple of days and I'll upload it to google drive and post a link here.

BentonGrey

Howdy Bearded!  Great to see you back, man!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

SpecterFan

Thanks for the reply, guys. Every little bit helps.

I did try the "compatibility route" already. I used Win 98 and Admin. No dice.....  :banghead:

I'll go back and try Win XP Sp1 and / or 2.

BentonGrey

Well, hopefully Bearded will come to the rescue.  If you do get that to work, I'll post it on my site.
God Bless

bearded

I've got to find my external hard drive, I should have a link by morning.

bearded

I've got it uploaded, having trouble making a link...

SpecterFan

Many thanks Bearded.

I tried it -

Unfortunately, it crashed - and continues to do so over and over.  :banghead:

I've got another problem. I can't remember ALL the steps involved in making a character available in FF. I did this around ten years ago; I just don't remember what I did. I vaguely remember something about dat files.  :(  :angry:

Something to add:

I have a number of questions regarding Tutorials and "How To" connected with information I have to re-learn. I found the Comprehensive Tutorials List but many of the links are no longer any good!

Help!!

---------------------

Bearded,

Exactly HOW (ex: compatibility settings) and WHERE (i.e.: install to Freedom Force folder) are you installing Character Tool? Do I need a patch like the old "CTOOL.zip", or is this one ready to go? I think I may be doing something wrong but it's so basic that I keep doing it without realizing I'm doing so.

Thanks

SpecterFan

Bearded & Benton,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. All I get now are error messages.

Between this and two trips to the Emergency Room plus temporary loss of sight in one eye (off to the eye doctor)..... It just keeps on comin'.... Grrrrr!

There is one thing you could do. My memory needs some prodding in regards to EZ Hero and how to fill out .DAT file entries (and where they go). I tried it the other day but when I looked for my new character to play with, it was nowhere to be found.

Thanks again guys,
SpecterFan