News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Sugestions for first play and must have

Started by AranhaRush, December 28, 2019, 08:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AranhaRush

Hello Everyone

It's my first time playing  :ff: and i'm trying to get the best experience out of it, so my questions are these:
Which one would be better for the first time or a better experience,  :ff: or Alex's Classic Mod for  :ffvstr:?
What Mods would you recommend as "Must Have"?

Thanks

SuperPoweredYank

The original  :ff: for sure. Alex's Classic FF mod is still in beta.

Alex's FF classic mod isn't really a replacement for FF1. Besides, FF1 is in my opinion superior in some ways, gameplay-wise.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I would recommend you use no mods at all for a first play through of the campaign. Just play it as is, unless you have a favorite character you want to play as.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

As the others have said, I'd go through  :ff: in vanilla first.  Honestly, it's near perfect, and all the things that the great mods, like FFX, add just supplement and enhance the game.  However, those additions are easier to appreciate once you know the game itself.  IF you were going to play with a mod, I'd recommend FFX.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SickAlice

Second FFX. It adds several dimensions to the game and turns it from Freedom Force into Beefcake Freedom Force. Also adds a rich enough system to flesh out the characters so that they actually match their comic book counterparts.

X-Man

I've always been quite curious about something. Had Freedom Force back in the day and was glorious with throwing the buses. Second mission was very Batman-eqse.  I've focused all my modding tho on  :ffvstr: because thought once a mesh has been converted for it, it cannot be converted back for  :ff: correct? also I know there's a way to get  Alex Classic mod, but is there any way to incorporate those mission into my version of  :ffvstr: and play using custom characters 

daglob

Converting the mesh does not modify the original, except for re-naming it and creating a FFv3R version, it does alter the keyframes. I usually create a copy of the FF1 mesh and keyframes and put them in a work folder before I try to convert them just to be sure I don't mess it up.

There have been a few people who have tried to convert FFv3R to FF1 (myself included), but it is not all that easy.

Do you mean from Alex's Freedom Fortress: http://www.alexff.com/index.php

X-Man

Yea, that's what i kinda figured when it came to  :ffvstr: to  :ff: conversion.  Too hard to tell now which of my meshes are for the original game or  :ffvstr:. I do miss the first one tho. Pan mission was awesome. Whole game was quite memorable  and more open to custom characters. Which is why i'm trying to get those mission from Alexx over into my game.  That is just like a miniature mod i believe, so everything would have to be built up again there (if i'm not mistaken). Can this be done?

BentonGrey

Howdy X-Man, I'm not quite sure what you're asking.  You want to play Alex's mod that puts  :ff: in  :ffvstr:, right?  But you want to do it with custom characters?  Can't you already use custom characters with it?  In general, you can change anything you want in a mod, so chances are, the answer is 'yes.'
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

X-Man

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 11, 2020, 10:25:32 PM
Howdy X-Man, I'm not quite sure what you're asking.  You want to play Alex's mod that puts  :ff: in  :ffvstr:, right?  But you want to do it with custom characters?  Can't you already use custom characters with it?  In general, you can change anything you want in a mod, so chances are, the answer is 'yes.'

This is exactly what i want to do, but somehow incorporate the missions on-top of my  pre-existing game. I tried once before and got all sorts of errors, but this was some time ago.  Then I loaded Alex mod  by it self and noticed the  :ffvstr: missions weren't there ontop of custom ffx attibutes few other things/ tweaks of mine that would need to be rebuilt.

BentonGrey

Ahh, I see.  So, you want to have the  :ff: campaign AND the  :ffvstr: under one roof?  That would actually be do-able, though it would take a bit of tweaking.  Well, basic functionality would only require a bit, but making it work together cleanly and be balanced would take a fair amount.  Essentially, all you'd have to do for basic playability would be to:

• Copy the missions from your main  :ffvstr: Missions folder to Alex's  :ff: mod's Missions folder
  • Open FFEdit, point it at the mod, and then click on the Campaign tab.
  • Add the  :ffvstr: missions to the extant  :ff: campaign.
  • Create a base screen for  :ffvstr: mission 1, or just copy one from somewhere else.
  • Copy the content of the various Lang files from your vanilla directory and paste them into the corresponding files in the mod, then generate your language files with FFEdit.  You'd need to see what the differences were first, of course.  You wouldn't want to duplicate content.  Chances are all you'd REALLY need would be the mission speech from  :ffvstr:, which may already be in the mod, as Alex might not have started from scratch.  You'd have to check.

You'd likely have some stuff that wouldn't work perfectly, and having the original campaign first would throw the recruitment of characters and power progression out the window, but it should work, in theory.

As for getting your customizations in there, it should be pretty simple for custom attributes, just a matter of copying the right files and merging the dats. 

This is actually a rather fun idea.  I may try it one of these days, maybe throw PCTales in there as well.
God Bless

X-Man

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 12, 2020, 06:08:46 AM
Ahh, I see.  So, you want to have the  :ff: campaign AND the  :ffvstr: under one roof?  That would actually be do-able, though it would take a bit of tweaking.  Well, basic functionality would only require a bit, but making it work together cleanly and be balanced would take a fair amount.  Essentially, all you'd have to do for basic playability would be to:

• Copy the missions from your main  :ffvstr: Missions folder to Alex's  :ff: mod's Missions folder
  • Open FFEdit, point it at the mod, and then click on the Campaign tab.
  • Add the  :ffvstr: missions to the extant  :ff: campaign.
  • Create a base screen for  :ffvstr: mission 1, or just copy one from somewhere else.
  • Copy the content of the various Lang files from your vanilla directory and paste them into the corresponding files in the mod, then generate your language files with FFEdit.  You'd need to see what the differences were first, of course.  You wouldn't want to duplicate content.  Chances are all you'd REALLY need would be the mission speech from  :ffvstr:, which may already be in the mod, as Alex might not have started from scratch.  You'd have to check.

You'd likely have some stuff that wouldn't work perfectly, and having the original campaign first would throw the recruitment of characters and power progression out the window, but it should work, in theory.

As for getting your customizations in there, it should be pretty simple for custom attributes, just a matter of copying the right files and merging the dats. 

This is actually a rather fun idea.  I may try it one of these days, maybe throw PCTales in there as well.

Thank you, this is exactly what i want, with ability to use custom characters in danger room if possible. I think i was missing steps 3 &4 and was quite a noob in comparison.  Gonna give this an attempt soon and hope for the best. TY =)

BentonGrey

You're welcome, man!  Feel free to ask any questions you come across.

You should be able to use custom characters in the RR, no matter what.
God Bless

X-Man

Well jeez just discovered Alex FF is down and has been for some time now

BentonGrey

God Bless

daglob

X-Man

Hmm weird.. my browser keep trying to load a page from Courtnell on there and keep giving me a 404 error. Glad it's still up. After Yahoo going down. I'm wondering how long FF can hold out