News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Fate Core

Started by docdelorean88, June 02, 2019, 10:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docdelorean88

If this is not the most appropriate section for this, please let me know ill gladly change it.

I just recently got a copy of fate core, and i'm hoping to GM for the first time off of this. That being said, I don't have much experience even as a player of RPG's, I've been a part of 2, and it was probably 6 total sessions so I'm a bit nervous. Anyhow, does any one here use this system frequently? Best tips/practices for a learner?
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BentonGrey

Howdy Doc!  First off, I think this is a perfectly fine place for this thread.  Second, don't worry!  I ran my very first game after playing in exactly one RPG for one game.  I was not exactly burdened with a great deal of experience, but it turned out fine.  If you've got a good group of folks and everyone has fun, it'll be great.

FATE is super easy.  I've played it a bit at this point.  It's not my favorite system, but it is super accessible and pretty easy to run.  One thing I might recommend is, if you've got the time, listen to some actual play recordings and see how things work.  I like Role Playing Public Radio, myself. 

From my own experience, what I'd say is 'be flexible.'  That's the best advice I think you can give a new GM.  Your players are going to surprise you, your plans are going to have to change, and as the old advice goes, 'when in doubt,  just pick a difficulty number and go with it.'  :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

docdelorean88

Thank you Benton! I really appreciate the guidance! I found this writing prompt online that just seemed great for my board game group, and I ran it by them and they loved it, though I have a hunch its too ambitious for me at this point. I'm hoping to get a couple fun one off sessions in with them so we can all kind of familiarize ourselves, get a feel for how we play together etc.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BentonGrey

Sounds like a good plan.  Good luck, man!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/